Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:46 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxiBoi83 View Post
Methinks you don't travel outside of Indy very much.

Indy just seems like a place that is getting left behind, economically and culturally. Sad to see, because it used to be a great Midwest city.
First, most of us who contribute in this forum are not from Indy.

As for the last sentence, I have to wonder if your username indicates you were born in 1983, because you seem to have a very limited frame of reference. To think that somehow Indy is behind where it was in the 70s and 80s is ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 06:07 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default Indy is the same on the whole as 20 years ago

Wealth has just shifted with more folks with money settling outside of city, particularly north. East and west sides have gotten worse but this trend has been on for longer than 20 years. My family and I used to shop at Washington Square and Lafayette Square in the 1980s going into early 1990s. My mother has shifted to Keystone, and used to shop Castleton and Greenwood but shifted away not so much because they got worse but she no longer had teenagers in need of cheap clothes.

My father, a farmer, btw, only buys wrangler and carhart so tractor supply and big blue are the only stores he frequents. I still think it is weird that he only wears boots, tony lama specifically, which he buys from a local Amish guy. This is also the same guy who only drives dodge pickups.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I think Indy has gotten more progressive, more diverse over the years. Indy have hosted the Super Bowl and Final Fours for a reason because it is a great city. Not my favorite city to visit but the people in Indy have always been really pleasant and friendly to me so I do enjoy going to Indy. I will be in Indy for the Final Four, I go to the Final Four every time they have the event in Indy and its a great time.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:33 PM

26 posts, read 33,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
My father, a farmer, btw, only buys wrangler and carhart so tractor supply and big blue are the only stores he frequents. I still think it is weird that he only wears boots, tony lama specifically, which he buys from a local Amish guy. This is also the same guy who only drives dodge pickups.

That sorta reaffirms my point that Indy is a city stuck in it's old stubborn ways. Another post in here laments why Indy doesn't have an IKEA or Cabela's superstore, or even a Medieval Times dinner theater. See what I mean?

I travel all over the Northeast and upper Midwest and cities like Chi-Town and DC are vibrant 21st century cities. Indy wants to be stuck in the early 70's forever.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
That sorta reaffirms my point that Indy is a city stuck in it's old stubborn ways.

I travel all over the Northeast and upper Midwest and cities like Chi-Town and DC are vibrant 21st century cities. Indy wants to be stuck in the early 70's forever.
I never fail to be surprised by the idiocy that's attracted to this forum.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I never fail to be surprised by the idiocy that's attracted to this forum.
Indy if anything has gotten more progressive and more diverse over the years.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Indy if anything has gotten more progressive and more diverse over the years.
And certainly when you compare it to the Indy of the 70s and 80s. No doubt there are huge challenges that need to be overcome, though.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,479 times
Quote:
Methinks you don't travel outside of Indy very much.

Go visit cities like Chicago and Washington DC and you'll see what a truly growing, vibrant city is supposed to look like.

Indy just seems like a place that is getting left behind, economically and culturally. Sad to see, because it used to be a great Midwest city.
lol @ Chicago. Have you been on the south and far south sides of Chicago? Entire blocks save 2-3 houses have been demolished because of the housing crisis and railroad buyout. There are stretches of 63rd, 67th, 71st, 79th, etc... that are mostly empty lots, and abandoned stores and apartments.

There's some great parts of the south side that remained mostly unaffected by the housing crisis.

Indy being a top-15 city, what you're seeing, is the same in ALL major cities.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM

Default Indy

My father is a farmer who farms an hour south of Indy. He is not your typical Indy person. He looks the same as he did in 1965, just with white hair. I call him a real life nonsmoking Marlboro man as he looks like the guy from the ads back in the day.

My mother is the one who does the shopping, mostly in Indy but sometimes in Cincy. As previously mentioned the malls she frequents have changed as the centers have changed and as she had trended toward more upscale options.

Indy certainly does a great job bringing in sports and conventions but I believe it will always be a conservative city, generally good place to raise a family (provided you avoid certain parts). It will never be the most exciting or progressive place and that is okay. Columbus Ohio is the best comparison though Ohio State does skew things a bit near the campus. It is not fair to compare Indy with larger metro areas as these areas will generally have more amenities and options.

I just wish Indy had a big league baseball team. Indians are fun to watch but no comparison to Sox, Reds, or Cubs game. Just not enough people I guess.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:33 PM

Default Great Midwest City

Indy still is a great Midwest City just not a global city like NYC or Chicago. Apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis