Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times

Advertisements

Lady I know sold her house in Carmel in early 1990s and moved there once her kids were grown. She is from same southern Indiana town as I am and works for Lilly.

There are certainly more restaurants nearby than before. It has gotten better in the past 10 to 20 years. I don't think it was that bad in 2005 so perhaps your spouse is more risk averse than you or I.

10 years ago I would have probably stuck with Broad Ripple area had I not grown up near Indy when looking for a place to live as 2 of the people I worked with in Indy in 2002 and 2003 did when they moved down from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
I had lunch in Fountain Square last time I was in Indy in 2013. Looked to be a very solid up and coming neighborhood with some vintage grit to it. Good selection of restaurants, walked by what looked like a cool Peruvian place.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM

143 posts, read 237,625 times
The trolls are out of control on this forum...

Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default My favorite part of Indy near downtown

Massachusetts Avenue and its various restaurants. Saw Bill Maher there last year with my sister. It was nice. I also really enjoyed the canal when I worked just north of the circle and would walk around during lunch when weather was nice.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
What's happening in most cities is affluent people are moving into downtown / urban neighborhoods and improving them, the poor former residents of those areas are pushed into other areas. So some areas improve, others decline. I'd guess Indy is no different

Old 01-26-2015, 12:39 PM

26 posts, read 33,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
I don't usually rag on a city, but you're not too far from the truth there... LOL
Nice to hear the truth from an Indy native about how boring & apathetic this city really is! Too many disillusioned folks in here trying to prop Indy as something it ain't. Go to Chicago to see how a Midwest city is supposed to THRIVE in the 21st century.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:42 PM

26 posts, read 33,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Indy isn't getting left behind either economically or culturally. Saying a lie over and over again doesn't make it true so quit living in fantasy land.
Being a disillusioned Indy homer like you most likely means I win the credibility war in this thread.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:16 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxiBoi83 View Post
Nice to hear the truth from an Indy native about how boring & apathetic this city really is! Too many disillusioned folks in here trying to prop Indy as something it ain't. Go to Chicago to see how a Midwest city is supposed to THRIVE in the 21st century.

Indy is not my speed, I just temporarily moved here for family reasons. It's too laid back for me, but it works for many other people on this forum. Most people I've met in person likes it OK, and really don't ever talk about trying other places to live, or trying new things. That's the apathy I've experienced.

I was born and raised in Chicago, and lived my first 33 years there. I then moved to Atlanta and lived there for 6, and now in Indy for 8. I have NO desire to move back to Chicago, but I think and dream about Atlanta, and Georgia in general, on a daily basis...I know where I need to be, and I'm currently working on it.

Indy is OK, and I will not bash the city, but it's just not for me.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Couldn't agree more myself.
This thread needs locked as this is getting ridiculous.
Too bad Broadripple Guy was banned.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxiBoi83 View Post
Methinks you don't travel outside of Indy very much.

Go visit cities like Chicago and Washington DC and you'll see what a truly growing, vibrant city is supposed to look like.

Indy just seems like a place that is getting left behind, economically and culturally. Sad to see, because it used to be a great Midwest city.
Washington DC is a vibrant city but lets not pretend it doesn't have tracts of ghetto area. Parts of SE are worst than anything on the eastside of Indianapolis. A good chuck of Capital Hill is depressed. Apparently you never ventured off of the side streets on Independence Ave headed towards the stadium ... not a good idea especially at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis