Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:56 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times

Advertisements

"Asspirational" suburb.

I think that describes it appropriately.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House23 View Post
I lived in Carmel for 6 years and now live in Fishers. I have never heard anyone judge someone for not living their. On the other hand I have been judged many times by people living on other sides of town for living there.
I live in Fishers and work in Carmel. I have actually met a handful of people that refuse to go anywhere south of 86th St except downtown Indy. And I think the only reason they may go down to 86th St is to get to the Fashion Mall. Now, as you said, I've not heard them judge anyone for living outside of Carmel, just that they're pretty much scared to go anywhere else.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 AM

143 posts, read 237,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I live in Fishers and work in Carmel. I have actually met a handful of people that refuse to go anywhere south of 86th St except downtown Indy. And I think the only reason they may go down to 86th St is to get to the Fashion Mall. Now, as you said, I've not heard them judge anyone for living outside of Carmel, just that they're pretty much scared to go anywhere else.
I've come across this exact same thing working on the north side for the past 5 or 6 years. I live in Irvington and you would think it was a war zone based on what some people up here think.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammwill View Post
I've come across this exact same thing working on the north side for the past 5 or 6 years. I live in Irvington and you would think it was a war zone based on what some people up here think.
I encounter that in real life too. When I tell people I not only live on the near east side but plan to raise my kids here into school age, they talk to me as though I should be committed into a psych ward.

I know not all suburban people are like that; but holy macaroni some are just hilariously out of touch with what life is like in the city.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I encounter that in real life too. When I tell people I not only live on the near east side but plan to raise my kids here into school age, they talk to me as though I should be committed into a psych ward.

I know not all suburban people are like that; but holy macaroni some are just hilariously out of touch with what life is like in the city.
Agreed. I guess it's easy to be out of touch when you live in the affluent suburb bubble...

Old 02-23-2015, 12:23 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammwill View Post
I'm sure lots of the city is perfectly fine and most people are not going to be bothered unless they are living on the wrong side of the law anyway, but there are lots of crime stories that begin on the east side, etc. You really don't have that in the suburbs. While the fears are greatly exaggerated, they have basis in reality.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
but there are lots of crime stories that begin on the east side, etc. You really don't have that in the suburbs.
Jogger attacked in Fishers Sunblest neighborhood

Old 02-23-2015, 02:01 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Does it happen? Yeah. To the extent that it does in some city neighborhoods? No.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Does it happen? Yeah. To the extent that it does in some city neighborhoods? No.
Some does not equal all, which is the perception we were discussing.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm sure lots of the city is perfectly fine and most people are not going to be bothered unless they are living on the wrong side of the law anyway, but there are lots of crime stories that begin on the east side, etc. You really don't have that in the suburbs. While the fears are greatly exaggerated, they have basis in reality.
There's always going to be more crime in the city proper versus the affluent suburbs in the outskirts of a city. Indianapolis is hardly unique in this respect...the same could be said for any large city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis