Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

There have been quite a few articles from the Indy Star and local news outlets about the amount and severity of potholes over the last few weeks.

I've lived in IA, TN, VA, SC, and now IN over the years, and have never seen an area like this with such severe potholes that don't seem to be repaired. Last winter was bad, and while there was some repair done of the summer, the roads were still a mess, even in July or August. Hamilton County is a bit better, but still poor. Going down College from the northside can be a harrowing experience. I-69 and 65 are a total mess, as well as 465 to a lesser extent. I've had flats and additional car work needed up here that probably wouldn't have happened in the warmer weather states. IN does a significantly worse job of road maintenance than Iowa does.

The bad roads are probably my biggest complaint up here. Do you think the bad roads are going to be a liability in attracting new businesses and retaining residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There have been quite a few articles from the Indy Star and local news outlets about the amount and severity of potholes over the last few weeks.

The bad roads are probably my biggest complaint up here. Do you think the bad roads are going to be a liability in attracting new businesses and retaining residents?
It's March. Star and local TV crowing about potholes is as sure a sign of spring's arrival as daffodils and short shorts.

Do I think bad roads are going to stop businesses from locating in Indiana? I think the question is so ridiculous it does not warrant a thoughtful reply. Did Minneapolis empty out when 35W collapsed? Has Ohio stagnated because of potholes?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:18 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
You want to see a city where roads are truly in horrendous shape ? New Orleans.

I swear, if you drive there on a regular basis, you might need to replace your vehicle every three years

Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Having spent a couple of years in Germany in my young adult years, I find infrastructure all over the U.S. to be an embarrassment. And though Indiana roads may not be the worst, they're unacceptable, and we should demand better.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:55 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I think most reasonable people would agree that infrastructure everywhere, not just in Indianapolis, needs attention. I think, on a local level, most reasonable people would agree that our roads should be better. In the city of Indianapolis, there are streets, alleys, and sidewalks that need to be rebuilt. Not re-surfaced or patched; they need to be ripped from the ground and rebuilt.

I also think most reasonable people would think the idea that any of that is cause for business to pull up stakes and leave, or change their mind about relocating to, any given locality is absurd.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Its because the US doesn't want to raise the gas tax and spend the money (well actually congress doesn't)
The Federal Gas tax hasn't been raised in over 20 years well inflation has continued.
They were an embarrassment even prior to 1993.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:01 PM

56 posts, read 75,670 times
Ballard has been attempting to get Rebuild Indy 2.0 passed for a long time now, political crap has held it up.

The interstates are more reliant on federal funding.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruascott View Post
Ballard has been attempting to get Rebuild Indy 2.0 passed for a long time now, political crap has held it up.

The interstates are more reliant on federal funding.
I went down to the Irvington Flea Market and the Goodwill Outlet at 30th and Shadeland yesterday - talk about bad roads. 465 is in the best shape of the regional interstates IMO.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
Was on Kessler Blvd. N. Drive between Kessler Blvd. W. Drive and 30th St.. Looked liked a bombed out mess. Easy enough to dodge though. Since the Superbowl didn't land us any Fortune 500 companies, maybe potholes will? We could market our city as the Moab, UT of the east....just don't drive anything but a Jeep or truck.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:40 AM

143 posts, read 237,737 times
Normally potholes after winter are pretty much par for the course, but I agree that it is particularly bad right now.

There is a section of 46th street in between Meridian and College that is absolutely horrendous.

I also hit what felt like a small sinkhole on Arlington just north of 38th the other day that was unbelievable.

Sometimes I wonder what our tax dollars are doing around here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis