Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:17 PM

60 posts, read 86,341 times

Advertisements

Hi On the move, I have lived in Indy and grew up in Indiana, I myself am not religious. I don't think everyone is crazy religious there. I think it is definitely a refuge for alot of people. But living and working in Indiana I think most or close to all my fellow employees were in some way religious. It was never a topic and I don't think anyone ever acted differently to me for not ever talking or discussing religion. And I was never asked what church I go to etc. ( Although in a business environment it shouldn't be.) But I do have to say it is a VERY religious state. I do think there are plenty of people that are, either non-religious or are religious but agreeable and can still get along with 'non believers' lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:21 PM

40 posts, read 83,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_move_again View Post
I have a question about the role religion plays in everyday life in Carmel/Indianapolis area.

We understand that many people will be religious, and that's not a problem, as long as it doesn't have negative effect on our family, especially our kids. We lived in Oklahoma in the past, and within 15 minutes of meeting a new person in any social situation, the question of which church we attend immediately popped up.

We like to spend a lot of our family time attending kids activities such as baseball and soccer games, and our experience in Oklahoma was that 90% of the conversation both adults and kids had was in some ways related to church, youth groups and bible studies.

We want to make sure that our kids will not be judged and ostracized in school/sports activities for not going to church, and not attending bible studies and church youth groups.

If we can expect something similar to what we experienced in Oklahoma, we don't think moving to Indianapolis area would be a good choice for us. We would appreciate any input, as we're trying to make a final decision about accepting a job offer, and moving to Indianapolis.

Thanks
You're far more likely to be asked what football team you root for and judged accordingly. Especially if you're a "Football Atheist" like myself and root for no teams at all. Yeah, no friends.

Indianapolis is not Oklahoma. There's actually quite a bit of diversity in "fly-over country." The real bigots are the ones who don't bother to come out and check it out.

But I've got to add: as an ex-atheist who got no end of hostility when I decided to become even a liberal Christian, do you teach your kids to judge and ostracize religious people and treat them all as fundamentalists? Not saying that you do, but tolerance goes both ways.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 627 times
Default Bible study in the conference rooms at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have never heard of that either. I am surprised its allowed.

Yes We do hold bible study and prayer in the conference room at work. I live and work in Carmel and 83% of the residents attend church service. Hence the low crime as well as the welcoming community atmosphere.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:18 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,986,199 times
^^^This is a joke, right?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:12 PM

143 posts, read 236,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
^^^This is a joke, right?
Knowing this forum, probably not.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:20 AM

69 posts, read 117,763 times
From experience I can tell you that in Carmel there is a wide variance in religions all around and I'm an atheist and many people know and never once have I gotten judged or has anyone who's of a different religion gotten judged. Carmel has a really good community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis