Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 PM

63 posts, read 182,988 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information on:
  • Best places to live outside the city while commuting to the airport
  • Taxes
  • Cost of living
  • Traffic
  • Seasons
  • Moving from Mountain views, are the hills southwest of the city desirable?
  • How are the nearby lakes and fishing
  • What about hunting
-Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Everything will be cheaper in Indy.
Weather is nicer year round compared to Alaska.
Hunting, Wildlife, hills and so on can be satisfied in Southern Indiana. The hills around Bloomington are very desirable and only 50 minutes away.
Seriously? There is no wildlife in Indiana that compares to Alaska. None. Zero. It doesn't exist here like Alaska.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:26 AM

4,965 posts, read 6,228,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvasek View Post
I'm looking for information on:
  • Best places to live outside the city while commuting to the airport
  • Taxes
  • Cost of living
  • Traffic
  • Seasons
  • Moving from Mountain views, are the hills southwest of the city desirable?
  • How are the nearby lakes and fishing
  • What about hunting
-Dave
I'm sure you know that Indiana is going to be extremely different from Alaksa in almost every aspect.
Best place to live. if you want a quick drive to the airport, you could look in Plainfield or Avon. If you want further out of the city, you could look at Mooresville or Danville or Monrovia.
Taxes will definitely be a change for you. Indiana has a 7% sales tax while Indy and most of the surrounding counties levee an additional 1% tax on top of that for prepared food and drinks at restaurants and many communities around Indy (including Indianapolis) have yet another 1% food and drink tax on top of that. So most areas in the metro a restaurant meal has 9% sales tax. Everything else is 7% sales tax. You will also have an income tax in Indiana as well.
Cost of living is pretty low. Most of the Midwest is known for low cost of living, Indianapolis included. About the only exception to that rule is Chicago.
Traffic is not that bad in Indy, especially compared to many other metros its size or larger. Outside of rush hour, traffic is a breeze everywhere and even rush hour isn't bad except for a few daily sticking points. I can't compare it to Anchorage though. No idea what traffic is like there.
Indy has 4 distinct seasons. July highs average mid-80s with about 15 or so days per year above 90. January highs average mid-30s though below zero a couple nights per year is normal. Winter is typically the drier time with about 23 inches of snow total and February averaging a little over 2 inches of precipitation compared to April with over 4 inches on average. Spring (late March, April, May) and fall (late September, October, November) can be warm or downright cold and rain often comes in the form of all day showers. Summer rain usually comes from passing thunderstorms. All day rain in June, July, and August is pretty uncommon. 100 degrees in the summer is very rare, though we did go above it in 2012 and 2013. But 2012 was the first time hitting 100 since 1988.
Let's be clear about the hills of Indiana. They are measured in hundreds of feet. There are pretty and scenic areas but obviously nothing even close to Alaska. The highest point in Indiana is almost on the Ohio border east/northeast of Indy and is nothing more than a slight rise.
I know a lot of people that do hunting and fishing but I honestly couldn't tell you where. I'm not sure if hunting is ever allowed in the state forests. There is a big state forest (Morgan-Monroe State Forest) just north of Bloomington and just south of that is Lake Lemon. Between Bloomington and Bedford is the huge and very popular Lake Monroe. These are really dammed reservoirs but still popular recreational destinations. Not sure how the fishing is. Indy itself has 3 lakes (again, reservoirs) Eagle Creek Reservoir, Morse Reservoir, and Geist Reservoir. Geist is built up and I don't believer there is any public access to it. Morse is also quite built up but does have a small public beach and boat ramp. Eagle Creek is the best bet. There is a large city park surrounding the north half and is definitely the most scenic of the three. Geist is especially busy with boat traffic (too busy if you ask me). Eagle Creek is your best bet for fishing in the city, I think.
Hoosier National Forest also covers a big chunk of southern Indiana and you can hunt there (in season, of course). It covers an area along and south and east of Lake Monroe as well as a much larger chunk from west of Bedford all the way south to the Ohio River.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:41 PM

918 posts, read 1,688,191 times
One advantage that Indy has here is the proximity to many other places. You'll be a lot less isolated than in Alaska. Many,many cities within driving distance.

If having scenic nature and wildlife in your backyard are a big deal to you, though, I wouldn't do it.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,421,036 times
My brother lives in Anchorage and has his entire life. I was there until 1978.

It is so much cheaper and easier here (if you dont get sucked into the consumer and popular culture).

If you want to check house prices, go to mibor.com, click on find a property and then county search. You can do a quick overview of Hendricks County to get an idea of houses and prices.

I like the competition of having huge numbers of businesses competing for your $$. For example, there are loads of car dealers and repair people. We even have Angie's List to help us sort it all out. I remember in Anchorage having one Ford dealer and one foreign car dealer. Everything from Walmarts to Saks Fifth Avenue/Nordstrums.

Good schools to choose from and a brand new airport. Huge Fed Ex hub right next to it. Five Amazon distribution centers in central Indiana. Lots going on.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:47 AM

5,902 posts, read 7,231,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Never said Indiana has wildlife comparing to Alaska
True, but Indiana doesn't have the Great Alaskan Bush Company, either.

RM

Old 03-28-2015, 02:04 PM

I looked up this information from Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Comparison Chart:

Anchorage Climate:

Indianapolis Climate:
Attached Thumbnails
Considering a job transfer from Anchorage airport to Indianapolis airport-anchorage-vs-indianapolis.jpg   Considering a job transfer from Anchorage airport to Indianapolis airport-anchorage-climate.jpg   Considering a job transfer from Anchorage airport to Indianapolis airport-indianapolis-climate.jpg  

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM

The cost of living is definitely cheaper in Indianapolis and the Housing Cost are a huge (and welcome) decrease. However, there is the State Income Tax of 3.4%, then an additional 1-2.9% County Income Tax. Plus the 7-9% Sales Tax. It sounds like, overall, Indy would still be cheaper in the long run. What are the housing/property Taxes like?

The climate is definitely more desirable in Indianapolis, and (4) distinct seasons are a huge plus. The thunderstorms are welcome as well.

We don't have to have wildlife in our backyard. As long as we have access to lakes for fishing and hunting (deer?) is not that important, but a plus.

The mountains are amazing, but if we can trade it for at least some rolling hills with some kind of distant view that would be ok. That is why I'm thinking if we find a place southwest of Indianapolis and commute to the airport, we should be ok. Acreage, with a slight elevation supplying a distant view would be ideal.

We would be searching for a rental first and foremost if we did decide to move. Anything out there other than Truilia and Zillow to search for rentals?

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2015, 05:21 PM

We like to live "near" a city, but do not prefer to live "in" a city. Too busy and congested for us. Subdivisions and Suburbs are ok (especially for renting) as long as the commute and traffic are not bad getting to and from the airport. But we ultimately prefer more wide open land and views instead of a crammed neighborhood with your neighbor house 10 ft. from yours.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:42 PM

5,902 posts, read 7,231,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvasek View Post
The cost of living is definitely cheaper in Indianapolis and the Housing Cost are a huge (and welcome) decrease. However, there is the State Income Tax of 3.4%, then an additional 1-2.9% County Income Tax. Plus the 7-9% Sales Tax. It sounds like, overall, Indy would still be cheaper in the long run. What are the housing/property Taxes like?

The climate is definitely more desirable in Indianapolis, and (4) distinct seasons are a huge plus. The thunderstorms are welcome as well.

We don't have to have wildlife in our backyard. As long as we have access to lakes for fishing and hunting (deer?) is not that important, but a plus.

The mountains are amazing, but if we can trade it for at least some rolling hills with some kind of distant view that would be ok. That is why I'm thinking if we find a place southwest of Indianapolis and commute to the airport, we should be ok. Acreage, with a slight elevation supplying a distant view would be ideal.

We would be searching for a rental first and foremost if we did decide to move. Anything out there other than Truilia and Zillow to search for rentals?

Thanks!
Deer hunting is pretty popular in the state. You can also hunt for wild turkey and some upland game if you're into that sort of thing.

Southwest of the city would probably be your best bet for the topography you describe. You could go south towards Bloomington as well, but it would be less accessible to the airport. Only thing to consider is that the area to the southwest is somewhat, well, rural, shall we say? And I'm speaking of that from a cultural standpoint... Martinsville would be good, I would avoid Mooresville, but there are plenty of smaller outlying communities that would fit the bill.

Good luck - I worked in Alaska in the 90s from the Aleutians (Shemya and Adak) to Anchorage, Fairbanks, and even a little on the North Slope. Wonderful place, but not somewhere I would want to live (not a criticism, just personal preference.) What I found interesting in the time I was there was that it seemed like people who moved up there either left within a year or stayed forever - they either were totally in love with the place or hated it dreadfully.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis