Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:34 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wouldn't say it will change the game but it will make a lot of things more convenient for downtown residents. There aren't a lot of walkable grocery options.
There's already two Marsh and the kroger @16th. A whole foods just might end up being over saturation esp east of meridian with the marsh at Lockerbie and the kroger at 16th and college. I haven't been in the Lockerbie marsh in a while and haven't been in the new one so how would whole foods niche market really do. Newer stores nowadays have larger and larger organic sections so would it really be a benefit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 01:20 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesncatsup View Post
I grew up in Indiana, and I hated that no one there seemed to want to grow and better the place. Which I always loved because of it's natural beauty. So my question is, Do people WANT change in Indiana? And if so what would you change?
As the nation changes, so will Indiana.

The only part of Indiana that seems like its actually growing in population without having to annex or natural birth increase, is the Indianapolis Metro Area, and I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of the newcomers are native Hoosiers or long-time Hoosiers who left the small Indiana town they were born and/or raised in. Which I think is the main reason Indianapolis still feels like a small town. It's a big town populated mostly with small town people with small town values.

I predict Indianapolis will eventually swallow up the entire ring of its Satellite cities in Central Indiana, Anderson, Muncie, Richmond, Columbus, Bloomington, Terre Haute, Lafayette, Kokomo, Marion. Not in my lifetime, but eventually. In the next 50 to 75 years or so I predict it will be at least 75% urban along the main roads that lead into Indianapolis from those satellite cities.

Many metro areas thru out the country will experience that same type of growth.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:58 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

As far as the rest of the state.........they can go pound sand for all I care.
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to dispute your opinion because I'm sure it's based on your own personal experience...but, why do you say such a thing about the rest of Indiana? Why do you not like it? Is it the people? Did you have a bad experience there? Were you mistreated? All due respect, but you sound so adamant in your opinion, and I can't help but wonder why so negative about the rest of Indiana. Indiana doesn't normally get that kind of reaction.

Even here in Texas, people will talk crap about Ohio, Michigan and Illinois, but they don't talk crap about Indiana. They leave Indiana alone. Indiana doesn't get the same reaction as 3 of its neighbors. I don't know why that is. I think alot of it is Hoosiers of all socio-ecnomic backgrounds, for the most part are a very polite and well-mannered people and they give a good representation of Indiana when they are out of state.

But even on the weather report. If a snow storm or a thunderstorm is in the Midwest, the weather men will report it something like, "the blizzard is coming from Iowa and into Northern and Central Illinois and on over into Ohio and Michigan and out to Canada it goes". They totally miss Indiana. No question about it, Indiana really does get overlooked on a national level. That's probably a good thing, too. Sort of a blessing in disguise, I suppose. So I dont think i would complain too much about it.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:33 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Indiana is smaller than many of its neighbors

With the exception of Kentucky, Indiana is surrounded by much larger states both population and area-wise.

Maybe this is why it gets less coverage out if state.

It is also considered middle of the road. It is not a bad place to live but not a tourist destination (other than sports and conventions).

Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
There's already two Marsh and the kroger @16th. A whole foods just might end up being over saturation esp east of meridian with the marsh at Lockerbie and the kroger at 16th and college. I haven't been in the Lockerbie marsh in a while and haven't been in the new one so how would whole foods niche market really do. Newer stores nowadays have larger and larger organic sections so would it really be a benefit?
Is that the absolutely awful Kroger? There is a really run down Kroger somewhere in that area. I've never been a Marsh fan at all - I shop mostly at Kroger, Costco/Sam's, and Meijer. DT residents would ostensibly have more money to burn than most locals and would probably shop at Whole Foods. It's also convenient to stop in at the hot bar for a quick meal or a salad.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

The only part of Indiana that seems like its actually growing in population without having to annex or natural birth increase, is the Indianapolis Metro Area, and I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of the newcomers are native Hoosiers or long-time Hoosiers who left the small Indiana town they were born and/or raised in. Which I think is the main reason Indianapolis still feels like a small town. It's a big town populated mostly with small town people with small town values.

I predict Indianapolis will eventually swallow up the entire ring of its Satellite cities in Central Indiana, Anderson, Muncie, Richmond, Columbus, Bloomington, Terre Haute, Lafayette, Kokomo, Marion. Not in my lifetime, but eventually. In the next 50 to 75 years or so I predict it will be at least 75% urban along the main roads that lead into Indianapolis from those satellite cities.

Many metro areas thru out the country will experience that same type of growth.

I can't see Indy expanding all the way from Marion to Columbus. Not going to happen - that's what, a two hour drive between those points, without traffic? Getting into the city from places like Noblesville/Fishers and back in the evening is becoming an absolute nightmare during rush hour. 69 at 116 is frequently queued when I leave at 6 until 7 or so. I could see growth filling in between the exit 210 (Noblesville) and Anderson (exit 222), but that's about as far as I see it going.

With that said, I completely agree with the small town values mindset. I grew up in a small town in east Tennessee, where people married young, church was the focus of most folks' lives, and social circles were pretty well established and tight knit. I see much the same behavior here - a weak dating pool for men looking for a 25-35 professional woman without kids, close knit - somewhat closed social circles, a conservative, church oriented atmosphere. The handful of friends I have made are almost all younger people from out of the area I've met through work, or older folks from elsewhere. It's just not an easy place to date, make friends, etc., if you're not from the area.

You also end up with the hassles of a big city (traffic congestion, crime, etc.) with a small town mindset and none of the benefits of a small town. It's an awkward situation.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Is that the absolutely awful Kroger? There is a really run down Kroger somewhere in that area. I've never been a Marsh fan at all - I shop mostly at Kroger, Costco/Sam's, and Meijer. DT residents would ostensibly have more money to burn than most locals and would probably shop at Whole Foods. It's also convenient to stop in at the hot bar for a quick meal or a salad.
That kroger is bad but I thought that was one of the ones slated for remodel along with the one at county line and emerson.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Columbus is less than 1 hr from Indy

It has never taken me more than an hour unless 1-65 had serious accident.

I have done it in 40 mins during the day.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
It has never taken me more than an hour unless 1-65 had serious accident.

I have done it in 40 mins during the day.
I got there in 30-40 minutes on my back from Tennessee this evening, but there is a lot of construction between mile markers 90 - 105 on 65. During rush hour, I think it would easily take an hour to reach downtown, maybe more.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
That kroger is bad but I thought that was one of the ones slated for remodel along with the one at county line and emerson.
That Kroger doesn't look it has been touched since the 70s.

I think the Whole Foods will do great. DT residents are often younger, health conscious, with disposable income. I see no reason for it not to be a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis