Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 14,429 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am seriously thinking of moving to Indianapolis from the San Francisco bay area. I will be working for an airline so I would like to live fairly close to the airport, within 20 minutes. I would also like to be near a good Catholic school for my daughter. I am also looking for a new home 0-5 years old. So far I have looked into Plainfield and Avon. Can you give me any ideas of other areas in or around Indianapolis?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 32,734 times
Plainfield would be a great choice. St. Susanna's is a Catholic school, but if you wanted to go public the Plainfield schools are top notch! Also lots of trails and parks. Very family friendly!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
I lived in Indy for 8 years and now live in SF. What is your reasoning for:

1) Leaving the Bay Area?

2) Strongly considering Indy?

IND is the newest airport in the US, but are you going to actually be working AT the airport, or are you a pilot or FA?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:04 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Because its to expensive to live out there?
That should be pretty obvious.
Don't be like your alter ego and be primitive in your thinking. Perhaps the OP is trying to get back closer to family, or maybe this is a real progression in their career. Or, maybe you're correct. But don't assume it's obvious.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Don't be like your alter ego and be primitive in your thinking. Perhaps the OP is trying to get back closer to family, or maybe this is a real progression in their career. Or, maybe you're correct. But don't assume it's obvious.
Indeed. By that same logic, I left Indiana because of the close-minded people (which wasn't the case completely). Stereotypes work in both directions. After living in the Bay Area for a little while now, I know it's expensive and it can be a bit of a drag if you have a terrible commute, but I can also see why people refuse to leave here even if the going was really tough financially, so it really is a valid question if you've actually lived here.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:10 AM

I lived in Carmel, In from birth to age 12. I have lived all over the U.s and always looking to move. I have been in east bay for 10 years. I hate my 52 mile round trip commute to and from work. I work at an airline at the airport so I will be working at IND. In order to afford our lifestyle in California my husband and I both work full time and opposite schedules to take care of our daughter. A move would mean only I would have to work and he can be the stay at home dad. California is beautiful and all but I really don't want to live this life anymore.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo57 View Post
I lived in Carmel, In from birth to age 12. I have lived all over the U.s and always looking to move. I have been in east bay for 10 years. I hate my 52 mile round trip commute to and from work. I work at an airline at the airport so I will be working at IND. In order to afford our lifestyle in California my husband and I both work full time and opposite schedules to take care of our daughter. A move would mean only I would have to work and he can be the stay at home dad. California is beautiful and all but I really don't want to live this life anymore.
That's entirely understandable. It's so incredibly inexpensive to live in Indy, that if you're experienced with what the city has to offer and understand its pros and cons, then you should be happier there. I personally couldn't move back to Indiana (in fact, I turned down an assistant VP job there recently), but to each their own.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:21 AM

890 posts, read 883,065 times
Quote:
My wife and I just got back from a vacation to the Bay area. California has beautiful scenery and climate, but the traffic heading out the east bay towards Yosemite was astonishing. Miles and miles of backed up cars heading in to work. BART would seem to be the only option.
I agree with you, I would rather live in Indianapolis, compared to California, unless I was worth millions and could live close to work.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:31 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Meh If you want to show prejudice again Hoosiers that's fine but then why are you even remotely worried about Indiana then and commenting.
Pot, kettle.

Quote:
Hello,
I am seriously thinking of moving to Indianapolis from the San Francisco bay area. I will be working for an airline so I would like to live fairly close to the airport, within 20 minutes. I would also like to be near a good Catholic school for my daughter. I am also looking for a new home 0-5 years old. So far I have looked into Plainfield and Avon. Can you give me any ideas of other areas in or around Indianapolis?
Thank you!
I agree with the poster than mentioned Plainfield. It's right on the doorstep of the airport and there are a lot of newer houses there if that's what you prefer. Avon is another option but I don't know much about it. It doesn't have the same city feel that Plainfield has in my opinion. It also feels like Plainfield has better access into Indy since I-70 runs right along it and can bring you straight into downtown.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 AM

Would anyone recommend living in Indianapolis city limits based on good catholic schools, nice and quiet neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis