Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:56 AM

600 posts, read 824,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I would be curious to know the scale at which someone or some group of investors are remodeling these houses at that price and for what purpose. If someone is doing this on a large scale and keeping costs down then selling them at that price, I can see it being profitable. If someone is remodeling them and slumming them out, I can see that being profitable too, albeit exploitative.
The COL and property in Indy is fairly affordable and probably some private equity is just looking to put money to work. At one point in time, "investors" bought Keystone Towers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The intersection of 38th and Keystone is maybe 2 miles from I-70. Target and big box retail is just a couple miles the other direction. There are a lot of reasons that neighborhood has challenges, access to interstates is not one of them.
You could make the argument that if you stay in 38th you have Butler, Indiana State FairGround and the IMA. Just up north on Keystone, Glendale which was closed and renovated is there. That area is just a blighted location, and my guess (like 99% certain) is you'll most likely have low income people living there. Any local who knows Indy, making decent money would not even think about moving there given all the other potential locations the city and suburbs offer.

I remember when I used to cycle on the Monon Trail (which I miss), as you kept heading further into downtown, the area became more blighted until you got to the immediate downtown area.

My friend bought a brand new home in Greenwood, not far from the mall off 31 for less than $100k. It's a nice area and neighborhood. No problem, I can get behind that. To drop 40k near 38th and Keystone does not make sense to me.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:34 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
To drop 40k near 38th and Keystone does not make sense to me.
It doesn't make much sense to me either as an investment vehicle. But it has nothing to do with interstate access.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
You might as well consider the property/the money disposable that is spent on that location. Buying at one of the most notorious intersections in the city is fraught with risk.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:44 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
I would not be surprised at shootings from an address at that location. 38th is a notorious escape route and the business in that area is fairly minimal and does not seems to be improving. A long time ago Cub Food, a big warehouse food store, tried to make a go of it and failed.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 PM

38th stays bad even as you head west towards Speedway. Esp around Lafayette Rd. There is this 'community center' that was made from an old Firestone LOL.

Which reminds me, I remember seeing good 'ol Lafayette Square Mall driving on the highway. I actually went in once to have lunch at Fujun Cafe. Lots of food for a good price. I always find abandoned buildings interesting.

I was told that Lafayette Square Mall was a hot place back in the day (before I was born).

Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
38th stays bad even as you head west towards Speedway. Esp around Lafayette Rd. There is this 'community center' that was made from an old Firestone LOL.
There are some nice neighborhoods straddling 38th Street between the Fairgrounds over to just before Lafayette Square. And while I would not likely choose to live between the mall and 465 along West 38th Street, I do visit the businesses through there with no issue. It isn't as bad as advertised. The mall itself...no thanks.

The old Firestone was an art gallery by Big Car Gallery, who makes a point of entering neighborhoods many might "lol" at. It was a cool reuse of the space, but it did not work out and they left. Not sure why that is funny.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Lafayette Square was a wonderful place in the 80s. When we moved here there were two of the best clothing stores there, Ayres and Lazarus, a huge number of other stores in a wide variety. We loved to go there and walk and shop. Glendale was also a special place and closer to where we lived. It even had stores in the basement. Crime and people problems brought its demise. Now it was mostly demolished and replaced with a Target and outside entry stores.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
There are some nice neighborhoods straddling 38th Street between the Fairgrounds over to just before Lafayette Square. And while I would not likely choose to live between the mall and 465 along West 38th Street, I do visit the businesses through there with no issue. It isn't as bad as advertised. The mall itself...no thanks.

The old Firestone was an art gallery by Big Car Gallery, who makes a point of entering neighborhoods many might "lol" at. It was a cool reuse of the space, but it did not work out and they left. Not sure why that is funny.
Something that is "not that bad" does not make it "good". I've went to pawn shops around 38th and Lafayette Rd. usually there is neat stuff to look at. There are some restaurants off Lafayette Rd. Someone I know once rented an apt off 38th near Speedway. $450 for a 1bed, close to 800 sq ft, kitchen, etc..........

If I were to live in Indy again I'd either live in Westfield or Noblesville. It's far and would be a commute, but I like the newer area.

Another friend of mine bought a house in Plainfield not far from Metropolis. Not a bad area either plus it's closer to the airport.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Lafayette Square was a wonderful place in the 80s. When we moved here there were two of the best clothing stores there, Ayres and Lazarus, a huge number of other stores in a wide variety. We loved to go there and walk and shop. Glendale was also a special place and closer to where we lived. It even had stores in the basement. Crime and people problems brought its demise. Now it was mostly demolished and replaced with a Target and outside entry stores.
I heard that the parking lot was so full it was hard to park. Crazy to even think about that now. I remember in 2008, one of the stores was Steve and Barry's before they went under. It was a popular place when I was at Purdue.

Glendale and Lafayette Square became dumps due to the new malls. Drew away the crowd. Big stores left, etc...etc....the downward spiral. Circle Center downtown, Metropolis on the west side, Clay Terrace and Keystone center north, then Castleton slightly east, Greenwood down south. Those malls are more than adequate for Indy's population.

I'm actually very shocked Washington Square Mall is still hanging in there. I'd expect it to suffer more than Lafayette Square Mall due to Lafayette Square Mall being very accessible off 65/465.

I lived off Allisonville Rd. in Core Riverbend Apartments. The place used to be a popular place for younger adults, it's just a mess when I left. Constant break ins and burglaries.

I don't think Castleton is a "bad area" shopping, visiting, etc totally fine, but I wouldn't live there. I'm not sure if that is seeping into Fishers, but I'd still go out to Noblesville myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis