Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
And they have IKEA, which tells something about the status of the city.
Folks in St. Louis really like cheap eurocrap??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Would you like a riot with that?

St Louis is down 60% in its population since 1950.
Indianapolis is up 100%.
Its very clear which city the mainstream of America wants to live in.
Let's not get crazy, BRG. St. Louis metro is not shrinking, and St. Louis city is regaining vibrancy. St. Louis is a fine, albeit complex and flawed, city. But the OP is just trolling.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Quit calling me BRG.
Anyway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate...s#Demographics
St Louis's metro growth is hardly remarkable.
Since 1970 its population has increased by 350,000.
Compared to Indianapolis growing from 1,100,000 to 2,000,000 in that same time. A gain of 900,000.
I also agree with the OP. He is just trolling and i already requested the thread be closed and deleted
I might quit calling you BRG when you come out of the closet and admit who you are. You can try to hide behind a new identity, but your style of homerism and writing are the same. All you've done is tone it down a bit (e.g. no more "Californiastan.).

And you're using Indy CSA numbers, which is very, very deceiving.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:33 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default My take on St. Louis

I am not a fan of St. Louis but believe the height of the buildings cannot exceed the arch.

I went to Wash U and know the city well. The core is shrinking but there are some nice parts (Central West end). However, crime is really high. Lots of haves and have-nots living in close proximity to one another.

Clayton and western burbs are pretty nice and have stayed nice but as you go east on Delmar into e cit it gets pretty dicey, with lots of urban decay. Much of St. Louis proper outside of downtown looks like west and south sides of Chicago.

I have many family members who fled St. Louis years ago for St. Peters and St. Charles, which are still pretty decent. Funny thing is that when I was in college in the 1990s, Ferguson was middle class and not that bad. Amazing what can happen with 20 years of white flight.

Indianapolis on the other hand, while not necessarily my favorite place continues to be a decent place to raise and family and is a place where not everybody lives in the burbs.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:29 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Indy's tech ecosystem is admired, aspired to by St. Louis leaders - TechPoint
Actually Indy is doing fine with talent. St Louis is jealous of Indy's tech and talent ecosystem.
That's one of the best things about Indy. I work in tech and we are struggling to find and retain talent. Part of it is our company, but the local market is so robust employees have many options.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:58 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
Just went back to STL for 3 days. I went to school at Wash U in St Louis. Seeing STL reminds me of the things I don't like Indy: not many neighborhoods one can walk to; too much strip malls instead of neat neighborhoods one can shop, dine and drink; STL has so many historical neighborhoods with very nice old buildings, Indy's architecture has no character or history.

STL also has a lot more authentic ethnic restaurants which serves both immigrants and locals, but Indy's are very mediocre.

Anyways, STL is so much more interesting than Indy, the visit just solidifies my impression.
Interesting as in like the Ferguson riots? Sure, St Louis may have more segregated ethnic neighborhoods (Indy is more integrated, btw) to choose from and that's great. However, Ferguson isn't helping with the reputation of the St Louis metro area. Keep in mind that Indy's growing vibrancy doesn't include having the reputation of sparking off riots. That's the obvious main difference between the two metros. That fact alone should solidify your impression.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:30 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Quit calling me BRG.
Anyway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate...s#Demographics
St Louis's metro growth is hardly remarkable.
Since 1970 its population has increased by 350,000.
Compared to Indianapolis growing from 1,100,000 to 2,000,000 in that same time. A gain of 900,000.
I also agree with the OP. He is just trolling and i already requested the thread be closed and deleted
Wait, wait, wait. Now you're comparing St. Louis proper population (not metro) with Indy metro (not city proper). You can't do that.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I might quit calling you BRG when you come out of the closet and admit who you are. You can try to hide behind a new identity, but your style of homerism and writing are the same. All you've done is tone it down a bit (e.g. no more "Californiastan.).

And you're using Indy CSA numbers, which is very, very deceiving.
Even if the poster admits s/he uses another screen name, you still won't know "who s/he is", so what does it matter what anonymous screen name s/he uses? And what does it matter as long as he contributes helpful and useful info to the message board.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:04 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Even if the poster admits s/he uses another screen name, you still won't know "who s/he is", so what does it matter what anonymous screen name s/he uses? And what does it matter as long as he contributes helpful and useful info to the message board.
We know who he is. It is not a secret to anyone who uses social media on any of the local media outlets.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
We know who he is. It is not a secret to anyone who uses social media on any of the local media outlets.
If you actually "know" who s/he is, then what does it matter what screen name s/he uses?

I'm sorry, but I just don't get what all the screen name fuss is all about. I see it as a non-issue but apparently other people think it's a serious matter. I never have been the type who gets my life wrapped up in these message boards. Life is too short and stressful enough to be concerning myself over a total stranger's screen name on a message board that I use for fun, entertainment, and information and interesting conversation.

That's one thing I remember about living in Indiana was there was just so many "busy-body's" conerning their selves with other people who were doing things they didn't think they should be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: