Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times

Advertisements

So, there is a new Del Webb community being built there, Vandalia. Good prices so far but can't tell from the website how far along they are. And I never heard of Plainfield, until I looked it up and I see there are some good things: nice library, good shopping, small town being rehabbed, and low taxes. Also a prison pretty close by??

So, anyone know anything about this town, pretty close to the airport and maybe noisy? Looking for a retirement home and doing research. Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 01:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So, there is a new Del Webb community being built there, Vandalia. Good prices so far but can't tell from the website how far along they are. And I never heard of Plainfield, until I looked it up and I see there are some good things: nice library, good shopping, small town being rehabbed, and low taxes. Also a prison pretty close by??

So, anyone know anything about this town, pretty close to the airport and maybe noisy? Looking for a retirement home and doing research. Thanks !!!
East Valley? Where'd that? Near Phoenix? If so, stay where you are. I can't think of one reason why anyone would voluntarily move from Phoenix to the Indianapolis area. As for Plainfield? A suburb built on what used to be cornfields. I could say more, but it wouldn't be politically correct.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Why John??? Have you ever spent a summer in the hot furnace of Phoenix? If so, maybe you realize why I am looking for cooler temps. And for a smaller city. And for some pretty flowers, not all cactus. So, please tell me why you said what you did. Thanks !

Old 11-06-2015, 01:43 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Why John???
Because John hates Indianapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Indianapolis? Probably one of the most despicable places on Planet Earth. I realize people live there voluntarily. I'm just not sure why.
Quote:
Indianapolis IS a boring city. It's just that simple. The epitome of meaninglessness.
Quote:
Denver wins. On a scale of 1 to 100, I'd give Denver an 80 and Indianapolis a 2.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:54 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Plainfield is a suburb of Indianapolis, though, it may be better described as a small town adjacent to Indianapolis with some suburban qualities. It is unfair to call it a "suburb built on what used to cornfields," Plainfield was incorporated in 1839, though there are areas on the fringes of Plainfield that fit that description.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Plainfield is a nice little older town with a lot of affordable housing. It's only 15 miles from downtown Indianapolis and has three major routes into the city. (Interstate 70, Highway 40 and Morris Street). It has an awesome outdoor mall with theater along with a few strip malls and several restaurants. Also, consider Avon which is just north of Plainfield and similar in size. It has undoubtedly better schools and newer neighborhoods. The west side has been seen as a redneck haven due to the city's racing background, and Avon is seen as less so. Both towns are nice enough though.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:51 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Plainfield is a nice town. I don't think the airport really adds much to noise problem there as there is a good buffer of warehouses and distribution centers between Plainfield and the airport, not to mention most of the residential area sit north of where the runways point. Yes, there is a prison right on the edge of town, but right next to the prison is also the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. It has very easy access to most of Indy due to I-70 being right there. I wish downtown Plainfield was better but Metropolis is right there (The Shops at Perry Crossing as it's called now).

Old 11-06-2015, 03:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Why John??? Have you ever spent a summer in the hot furnace of Phoenix? If so, maybe you realize why I am looking for cooler temps. And for a smaller city. And for some pretty flowers, not all cactus. So, please tell me why you said what you did. Thanks !
I've spent plenty of summers in the Phoenix area. I've also lived through more than enough midwest winters. I'll take the few months of Phoenix heat any day. And surely, you can find a better smaller city than Plainfield. Jeez. If they held a contest to find one of the worst places in North America, Plainfield would likely make the top 10.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
I've spent plenty of summers in the Phoenix area. I've also lived through more than enough midwest winters. I'll take the few months of Phoenix heat any day. And surely, you can find a better smaller city than Plainfield. Jeez. If they held a contest to find one of the worst places in North America, Plainfield would likely make the top 10.
You might find it hard to believe, but not everyone wants to live in an oven.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:52 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
I would rate upper Midwest winters as better than those in Indiana because snow is consistently on the ground much of the time, meaning far better opportunities for winter sports. I've spent lots of time by the UP in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis