U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,134 times

Advertisements

I will soon be moving to Indy. I am just about to graduate from college-- a young professional. I want to be less than 15 minutes from downtown, as that is where I will be working. I want a busy social life with lots to do and places to eat. Also, in your guys' opinion-- do you think Indy is a nice young hip place to live? All answers are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:05 PM

25,747 posts, read 19,137,851 times
It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm not out of college either. I'd look at either downtown, Fountain Square, Irvington, or Broad Ripple. What's your budget?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:15 PM

6,805 posts, read 8,223,831 times
Young and hip aren't 2 words I would use to describe Indianapolis, but it's a good place for a new professional to get their feet wet.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:22 PM

8,367 posts, read 14,410,308 times
There are hip people in Indianapolis, tho I am not real sure I would describe Indy as overly hip. As far as specific areas to live, the standard canned answers seem to apply. Fountain Square/Downtown/Mass Ave/Herron Morton/Fall Creek Place/South Broad Ripple and BR/Irvington/Holy Cross. If you are feeling adventurous, areas of the Near Eastside, Bates Hendricks, and Mapleton Fall Creek might be possibilities.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:06 AM

10 posts, read 10,229 times
Lol what may be hip to some may not be to others.most people that put indy down are not even from here or if they are,they don't really go out and do things in the city or even really know what the city has to offer.it always amazes me how even the locals don't realize what's in the city.all these neighborhoods that were mentioned are good ones and there no different than you'll find in Any other city the size of indy.why do people honestly think it's that much different Any where else I think it's cause they haven't loved Any where but one place but check out doing indy on YouTube you will be surprised.downtown living is cool.all the new condos and apartments their buildning.the site where old market square arena was,their building a new high rise luxury apartments yhere.checkout the Alexandra's off Delaware but there's plenty of good living downtown just Google it. I see it all the time cause I work downtown by Lucas oil stadium

Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 AM

6,805 posts, read 8,223,831 times
Kind of hard to take a post that fails to use proper capitalization, sentence structure, and punctuation seriously.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 AM

Part of being intelligent is being able to understand what others are saying.I'm sure people from all over the world seek your knowledge to make their lives better.it's pointless debating with someone thats so caught up in themselves that you took the time to try to ridicule when all you did was show your limited to understanding that maybe I was rushing to post what I had to say and forgive me for not proof reading before I posted my view. My iPhone has a mind of its on but professor too smart for their own good,did you understand this post? I made sure I proof read it just for you.now can we stay on topic please? Geesh,always gotta be one in the bunch you can count on it.smh oops smh= shaking my head in case your not hip to that

Old 04-15-2016, 09:15 AM

8,367 posts, read 14,410,308 times
Yeah, so anyway, Indianapolis has some hip people, you should probably stick to the areas already recommended. Welcome.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM

Exactly my point but i digress

Old 04-15-2016, 02:25 PM

135 posts, read 136,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoman17 View Post
I will soon be moving to Indy. I am just about to graduate from college-- a young professional. I want to be less than 15 minutes from downtown, as that is where I will be working. I want a busy social life with lots to do and places to eat. Also, in your guys' opinion-- do you think Indy is a nice young hip place to live? All answers are appreciated!
I feel pretty confident in saying that you picked probably the best time in the history of Indy to be coming here as a fresh grad. I came in '04, and while I generally enjoyed it then, it's almost like a completely different city now - for the better. New York, Chicago, or San Francisco it isn't, but if you come in with the proper expectations, I think you'll be happy, if not pleasantly surprised.

There's definitely much more of a "vibe" to Indy now, at least in the core, and a better scene for young professionals. The emergence of a tech scene here has been pretty transformational and has provided so many opportunities for new grads that weren't here even 10 years ago. I detest the term hip, so I won't get into that (to quote Tower of Power, "hipness is what it is, and sometimes hipness is what it ain't").

I would definitely recommend staying within 15 minutes of downtown, as that's where MOST of the action is (including Mass Ave, Fountain Square, etc). If you're looking to rent, there are more options now than there have ever been. Keeping in mind your criteria of socializing opportunities and good food, I would look at the newer complexes on Virginia Avenue (Mozzo, Slate, Hinge) and also some of the historic places off of Mass Ave (Lockerbie Ct, Richelieu, 333 Penn, Riley Towers). All are young professional dominated. There's also the new E Market district with Artistry, Mentor and Muse, and the new one they're building, but I have read mixed reviews on those complexes. Same with City Way.

If by chance you were looking to buy - and without having any idea of budget it is hard to recommend - I really like the Near Eastside for it's close proximity to downtown, and older housing stock. Near North is great too, but generally pretty pricey. Near south is on the up and up for buying, as evidenced by the new HGTV series "Good Bones", which follows a team that rehabs houses near Fountain Square and Bates Hendricks.

I would definitely recommend either buying a bike if you don't already own one, or buying a membership to the bikeshare when you arrive. The city is pretty flat and there are trails everywhere that make biking a blast. It's also practical since our mass transit options are not the greatest, to put it nicely. Also, not sure where you're coming from, but if you're not used to winter, you should probably start coming to terms with it, and buy a nice coat now while they're on clearance. If you're into craft beer, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by the beer scene here. I would also highly recommend a membership to the brand new YMCA downtown if you're into that sort of thing. Great facility, and TONS of young professionals.

Hope that helped. Best of luck on your move!

Last edited by jarcolem; 04-15-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or