Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:47 PM

395 posts, read 1,374,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yes, it is unbelieveable how much more humid it is in St. Louis than Indianapolis. And I don't think Indy aspires to be like Minneapolis/St. Paul or Detroit, but I do think that Indy and St. Louis are comparable and honestly, what it boils down to is which one feels better to the person in question.
i do not think the cities are comparable, they are completely different cities with different vibes, from population to history, to culture and urban makeup. st. louis compares more to baltimore and cleveland than indy. Indy probably compares more to kansas city.

The only thing similar i would suggest is the climate.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
REM

368 posts, read 994,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Sorry, can't do it.
And your points are just kind of ...ok...and....
Indy has a LOOOONG way to go before it can start competing with much larger and older cities like stl, minneapolis, and detroit.
My points are very valid. Indianapolis is one of the only large cities in the world with out any water near it. Even STL has a river. We have one but can't trade on it. Ever notice how all the big cities are on the water?

Quote:
also carmel > clayton???? i dont know about that, its totally discretionary, but how would you define "better"? In terms of culture, economics, and urbanness, i would bet all of my money, on a poll of people that have experienced both areas, on which they think was "better". I'm 100% positive, unless peopel were smoking dope, they would vote for clayton. That's like comparing an Acura to a Geo Prism.
Funny you say then when the median income rate in carmel is over 25,000 more than clayton(that's just the median). Carmel has a strong economy, with over 7 large businesses. The population its self is killing clayton 16,000 < 70,000. The houses in carmel cost millions (that says alot since indianapolis is one of the chepest cities to live in in america). and diversity? I don't consider 84% white "diverse". your right it is comparing acura to geo prism and clayton is geo prism. I would have to say in terms of "urbannes" clayton is better because carmel is a burb.

Quote:
Sorry REM, indy's got some great things like founatin square and indiana ave, and a few museums but that's IT.
Broad ripple, caselton, woodford place. We have great malls and movie theaters like the one in caselton. malls like caselton, circle center, edinburg, clay terriace all are top quality

...plus, you'd be joking to compare stl's zoo's to indy's. St. Louis zoo is one of the top zoos in the country if not world, beating out san diego from time to time....
They are completely different types of cities, stl being more cultured and historic and molded, while indy still young and still trying to develop its culture.
For me, i'm extremely glad i no longer live in indiana, and for indy residents that have lived there their whole lives that think its "great"...well, i guess ignorance is bliss.
(sorry to sound so harsh, but its the darn truth, and to my experiences, MANY people feel the same way about indy)[/quote]

Last edited by REM; 02-22-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 05:02 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
My points are very valid. Indianapolis is one of the only large cities in the world with out any water near it. Even STL has a river. We have one but can't trade on it. Ever notice how all the big cities are on the water?

[/quote]

Atlanta? Dallas/Ft. Worth?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:59 PM
REM

Atlanta? Dallas/Ft. Worth?[/quote]
los angeles, houston, london, paris, chicago, tokyo, portland, toronto,vancouver,athens, rio, san paulo, new york, boston, D.C., san fran,miami, amsterdam, auckland, sydney, hongkong. really i think i've made my point.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 144,743 times
Default Indy/St. Louis

I'm a middle aged STL native with a family of four considering a possible relo to Indy, so I've found this thread interesting. I've been to Indy 3 or 4 times for business and pleasure. My kids, when younger, loved the Children's Museum. Comparable to the Magic House in Kirkwood. I've enjoyed going to a Colts game and the Indy 500, and have stayed at the absolutely great Conrad Hotel downtown. Nice downtown minor league ballpark for those carefree summer nights. STL has nothing comparable to Nickey Blaine's, one of the best "adult" bars in the nation -- no, not that kind of "adult" -- with a super atmosphere for men and women over 35. And it's walking distance from St. Elmo's, a retro, primo steakhouse.

All that being said, the reason I'm even considering the relo is that Indy is only a short, 3-4 hour drive down I-70 from St. Louis. Being as fair as I can be, I agree with the earlier post that the two are not even comparable as far as overall quality of life, scale, diversity, cultural richness or options.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
los angeles, houston, london, paris, chicago, tokyo, portland, toronto,vancouver,athens, rio, san paulo, new york, boston, D.C., san fran,miami, amsterdam, auckland, sydney, hongkong. really i think i've made my point.[/quote]

No, Atlanta and Dallas/Ft. Worth are landlocked major cities, bigger than Indianapolis.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:41 PM
REM

That's right because i said indianapolis was the biggest land locked city... caught me there. The 4 top cities in the world: New

Old 02-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
That's right because i said indianapolis was the biggest land locked city... caught me there. The 4 top cities in the world: New
Did you hit the enter key too early?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
los angeles, houston, london, paris, chicago, tokyo, portland, toronto,vancouver,athens, rio, san paulo, new york, boston, D.C., san fran,miami, amsterdam, auckland, sydney, hongkong. really i think i've made my point.[/quote]

I understand where you're coming from. You have a lot of Indy pride, which is good, and it's normal to compare your city to other cities that are in tiers higher than yours. I understand it, and its normal.

But, I would reccommend living in other cities for a while, or visiting and spending more than a week there, for example in st. louis, before you make judgements in comparing cities. You'll find that lifestyle in those cities is far different from Indy and offer much more options than Indy. Indy lacks identity and culture, and that is evident through the numerous reviews of people you visit Indy or spend time in Indy from other cities. It's not "bad" but just not on the same tiers as other cities like stl minneapolis, detroit or cleveland because those cities have had centuries of molding and development. It's more reasonable to compare Indy to cities on similar tiers and size like columbus or KC.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Again, most indy residents give themselves self-injected pride based on this "city" population. For example, whoever writes the indianapolis wiki article, they'll only mention indianapolis being the 3rd largest "city" in the midwest, which is clearly false and extremely uneducated. The city population is MARION COUNTY, so that implies indy is "bigger' than
Atlanta, st. louis, minneapolis etc, which is extremely misleading. If these cities followed waht indy does in terms of bordering, they would be twice to four times bigger than Indianapolis.

Indianapolis isn't as great as people from indy think, and the only way to realize that is to visit other cities, where they'll city what realy city and urban life is like. So therefore, you CANNOT compare the cities of St. Louis and Indiapolis, much like you can't compare chicago and st. louis, as they are completely different types of cities. Chicago is to St. Louis as St. Louis is to Indianapolis, bottom-line.

Sorry to be harsh again, but its the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis