Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:58 AM

26 posts, read 42,392 times

Advertisements

Looking to return to my roots. Sick of So. California! When I see houses for sale near the Indy Airport, are there real big downsides to being near the airport? Specifically, take off and landing patterns. How far away should I be from the airport?

Thanks,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 10:59 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Looking to return to my roots. Sick of So. California! When I see houses for sale near the Indy Airport, are there real big downsides to being near the airport? Specifically, take off and landing patterns. How far away should I be from the airport?

Thanks,
David
Depends on how much the noise will bother you. I have a friend who bought a home in Plainfield where planes fly very low, directly over her home, day and night. Once we were in her backyard while her two small children played and I counted over a dozen planes in an hour. The rumbling from the planes was so loud that we had to stop talking because we couldn't hear each other speak.

I couldn't live with the constant noise. She said while the noise bothers her it is a fair tradeoff because their new home cost $50K less than they would have had to spend on the same home outside of the flight path.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:05 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
The airport is also fairly remote and not convenient to commute from, especially the far northeast side and suburbs where there are lots of office parks.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
It doesn't seem remote to me, being from Denver, where the airport is halfway to Nebraska. Maybe I exaggerate, but Indy's airport seems pretty convenient to me.

In any case, it might not be a bad idea to rent a place for a while and see how you like it.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:37 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Anything eastbound from the 865 entrance to 69 is going to be subject to frequent congestion, even more during rush hour. We had a guy who commuted from West Lafayette and it often took him as long to get from the 865 termination to the office at 96th/Meridian as it took him to get from West Lafayette to 865. Westbound in the evening isn't usually quite as bad, but still bogs down.

If the OP has a job anywhere in north suburbs, Castleton, virtually anything along the north section of 465, or extreme east sides of the metro, commuting to and from the airport is often going to be a bear. Yes, getting to downtown from the airport is not that bad usually, but it was often difficult to get from my apartment just north of downtown Carmel to the airport in under 40 minutes or so, and I don't think I ever had to commute through there during peak traffic. There are tons of office jobs in the north side suburbs and north side so it is not a moot point

Old 11-30-2016, 10:05 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,873,399 times
Default 38th to castleton commute

That is very short commute unless you don't have a car.

To me, anything under an hour is reasonable.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:43 PM

79 posts, read 91,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
It doesn't seem remote to me, being from Denver, where the airport is halfway to Nebraska. Maybe I exaggerate, but Indy's airport seems pretty convenient to me.

In any case, it might not be a bad idea to rent a place for a while and see how you like it.

Ha! I live in Denver now, and will be relocating to Indy in the next few weeks. I'm up in Thornton though, so the proximity of DIA isn't too terrible for me.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:56 PM

Welcome! You'll be one of four of five people from Denver here in Indianapolis.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:39 PM

427 posts, read 431,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug_77 View Post
Ha! I live in Denver now, and will be relocating to Indy in the next few weeks. I'm up in Thornton though, so the proximity of DIA isn't too terrible for me.
Is moving from Denver to Indianapolis regressive? I keep hearing that Denver is the place to be. Though the one thing that makes Indy awesome is it's proximity to Chicago.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Is moving from Denver to Indianapolis regressive? I keep hearing that Denver is the place to be. Though the one thing that makes Indy awesome is it's proximity to Chicago.
I got a life upgrade moving from Denver to Indianapolis: a nicer, paid-for house, less time spent commuting, lower cost of living, less traffic, major parks closer to my house, and generally friendlier people. And I barely sunburn or get nosebleeds here, unlike I did in Denver. The only thing I miss about Denver are the mild, sunny winter days.

I've thought a lot about why Denver is "the place to be." It wasn't that long ago that out-of-towners considered it an uncultured, crappy little cowtown. TV shows and movies usually depicted Coloradans talking like hicks and Denver as having dirt roads and cowboys. IRL, I've never even seen an unpaved alley in Denver, never seen a cowboy there except during the stock show, and native Coloradans speak pretty normally, even if they're from the country.

Why are all the cool kids going there now? Denver and Colorado have worked for decades to make the place desirable: fairly low taxes, changes to the juvenile code after 1993's summer of violence, improvements to public transit, a business-friendly environment, even enforcement of littering laws. It worked. Years ago, when most people assumed Denver was a crappy little cowtown, sensible people saw a bargain in Denver and moved there; now, people see lots of people moving there and assume it's great.

One reason I moved to Indianapolis was that I saw many of those same things happening here that were happening in Colorado 20 years ago. I saw a bargain--I didn't care if the cool kids thought Indy was a crappy little naptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis