Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:54 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times

Advertisements

Absolutely you should keep your commitment with the CCC - it should be a really great experience for you!

I strongly think you should just tough it out at home until February when that commitment starts. If you just can't, don't you have a friend or another relative with whom you could crash for the next couple of months? Just be willing to at least do chores or pay a little to thank them for letting you share their home.

But Cedar Rapids is a very affordable town. And if you're expecting to get a low wage job anyway, it's better to live in an inexpensive town where jobs are available. Here's the link to the state jobs site (iowajobs.org) showing currently available jobs in the Cedar Rapids area: https://www1.iowajobs.org/jobs/seeke...ch/search.seek And here's a link to the Cedar Rapids public transit site: Cedar Rapids Transit provides affordable, convenient, and safe transportation throughout the city

(Sorry to jump in here, Indianapolis folks and moderator. I'm a born and raised Hoosier, and love Indiana, I promise! I just think this guy needs some good advice, and a move to Indy might not be the best choice for him at this point.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 06:57 AM

217 posts, read 283,514 times
Yeah, Cedar Rapids does seem like a nice town. I'll strongly consider going there. Right now, it seems like the most logical moves for me to make would be to move to Atlanta, move to Cedar Rapids, or stay at home if possible until mid-February. Then once my business is done, then I can reconsider Indianapolis.

It's just kind of a hard decision to make because living with my father out in the country doesn't give me much opportunity to work a job or go out of the house to do much of anything other than schoolwork, and living with my mother and her fiance full-time would be seen as picking a side, and honestly my father would benefit more from me staying with him than my mother. It is kind of hard to be around everyone now, though, because they're barely tolerant of each other, so I get paranoid that something crazy is going to happen right when I try to leave for Iowa.

Thankfully, my father is supportive of my interest in moving out, and my aunt could use my helping hand a bit as well.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:50 AM

Hey, funny thing happened. A manager for TownePark wants to setup a phone interview with me for a bell and valet position with the hotel I applied for two days ago. If I am not still considering going to Indianapolis, I can't take the job, but I still should go through with the interview just in case, right?

Is it even normal to get a response back that soon?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
Hey, funny thing happened. A manager for TownePark wants to setup a phone interview with me for a bell and valet position with the hotel I applied for two days ago. If I am not still considering going to Indianapolis, I can't take the job, but I still should go through with the interview just in case, right?

Is it even normal to get a response back that soon?
If you are not interested in a job, why would you interview for it? If you are honest with them, no employer worth working for is going to black list you because you can not take a job as soon as you planned. Perhaps you could ask them what they think, they may interview you and hold the application until February.

It isn't uncommon to hear back within a couple of days on an application, it depends on the hiring manager.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:51 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you are not interested in a job, why would you interview for it?
Do the interview for practice!
Like anything else.. you get better with practice!!!

Get them to offer you the job and you can decide at that point what you want to do.

That's what job interviews are about.. get them to make you the offer.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 12-02-2016 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Do the interview for practice!
Like anything else.. you get better with practice!!!

Get them to offer you the job and you can decide at that point what you want to do.

That's what job interviews are about.. get them to make you the offer.
You won't get an offer after a phone interview.

If you can't make it to Indianapolis for an in person interview until February, who knows how the hiring manager will respond. If you lead them on up until the point they make an offer, the prospective employer is not going to react favorably. I don't know the hiring managers at TownePark, how much turnover they have on the front line staff and managers. Part of the phone interview is screening out people, and the question of when you can start is likely to come up. It is December now, and it doesn't sound like an in person interview can happen until February. Personally, if that came up early in the phone interview I was conducting, I would probably cut the interview short or as short as I could.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:21 PM

I was actually thinking that. Just go through with the interview for the sake of practice. What I did NOT think of, is to ask them if they could consider me for later.

Really my biggest fear WAS getting black listed, but if that's not likely, then OK. I just hate passing up job offers and interviews because I assume they're rare, which was my other fear.

Last edited by TinBo; 12-02-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
I was actually thinking that. Just go through with the interview for the sake of practice. What I did NOT think of, is to ask them if they could consider me for later.

Really my biggest fear WAS getting black listed, but if that's not likely, then OK. I just hate passing up job offers and interviews because I assume they're rare.
I don't know what the environment is like in Memphis; but getting interviews for jobs in the $7-$10 wage range are not rare in Indianapolis. There are temp agencies buying ads on billboards begging for applicants to apply for jobs that pay $13 and more. Two years ago, I applied for some temp part time retail jobs. Within two weeks, I already had 3 interviews and 2 offers.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:39 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You won't get an offer after a phone interview.

Personally, if that came up early in the phone interview I was conducting, I would probably cut the interview short or as short as I could.
He can do the phone interview for practice and if they ask for an in person at that time he can tell them something came up (he's not lying and he doesn't have to tell them specifics) and explain he won't be available until February. He's young and needs the practice.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
The unemployment rate is under 5% in Marion County. In that kind of market, you need to call good job candidates right away.

A phone interview is a prelude to an in-person interview and lasts about 15 minutes. The when-can-you-start work question usually comes up at the end, and you can tell them your timeline for moving at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis