Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:45 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm not saying landlording is inherently bad, but many landlords are jacking up rents to unbearably high levels because job security isn't what it used to be (meaning people have to move often to find work), mortgage underwriting is much stricter (many people can afford X per month but can't necessarily qualify for a mortgage due to credit scores, DTI, whatever), etc.
I think commercial landlords are just jumping on the greed train like everyone else. It seems almost every aspect of living has people who provide an item or service wanting to charge top dollar. Rent, healthcare, cable TV, cell phones, cell service, houses, etc.. Gas was costly, but has returned to a more reasonable price (for now). Very low interest rates have saved many people hundreds or so a month, and likely prevented a complete collapse of our heavily retail based economy.

If I recall you have moved back to E. Tenn right? How are rents there and how are they compared to wages? I know a family that pretty much fell in love with the mountains of E. Tenn. They were considering the Tri-city area. The wife worked in the nursing field for years and jobs here pay pretty decent. I guess they looked at finally moving more towards the Knoxville area but the pay wasn't as good for nurses. Not sure if they still plan on moving or not. I would think nursing would be a good skill set and that even if the jobs paid less than here in Indy, they would be at the higher end of the wage scale down in that area. If my wife and I do ever relocate, E. Tenn. is on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:27 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I think commercial landlords are just jumping on the greed train like everyone else. It seems almost every aspect of living has people who provide an item or service wanting to charge top dollar. Rent, healthcare, cable TV, cell phones, cell service, houses, etc.. Gas was costly, but has returned to a more reasonable price (for now). Very low interest rates have saved many people hundreds or so a month, and likely prevented a complete collapse of our heavily retail based economy.

If I recall you have moved back to E. Tenn right? How are rents there and how are they compared to wages? I know a family that pretty much fell in love with the mountains of E. Tenn. They were considering the Tri-city area. The wife worked in the nursing field for years and jobs here pay pretty decent. I guess they looked at finally moving more towards the Knoxville area but the pay wasn't as good for nurses. Not sure if they still plan on moving or not. I would think nursing would be a good skill set and that even if the jobs paid less than here in Indy, they would be at the higher end of the wage scale down in that area. If my wife and I do ever relocate, E. Tenn. is on the list.
I live in the Tri-Cities. Rents are cheap, but you have to consider the average person, man or woman, makes about $15/hr in this area, women a bit less, so any rent is high.

The rent/wage ratio is much better in Indy than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis