Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 AM

64 posts, read 79,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
That was a very rare event. However, anytime it snows it can cause issues. I remember one winter snow and ice caused I-465 on the northside between US31 and I-69 to be shut down during the afternoon rush hour. That was not pretty for the already jammed surface streets on the north side. Again, snowy commutes of course happen and my 35 minute drive from Fishers to Carmel on non-interstate roads often jumps to 45-50 minutes when it is snowy. But that's maybe a handful of days of the year in a typical winter. Last year I only remember two snowy drives and one wasn't terrible.
OK good to hear that kind of event doesn't happen too often! Prepared for an extra 20 minutes for snow but not 11 hour horror stories I was reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Along with this, you also aren't going to get downtown from Carmel or Fishers in 25 minutes during rush hour either.
Yeah pretty much established we'll have to be flexible with commute time if we choose one of those two communities!

Outside of Irvington, is there any safe/family friendly neighborhood within 25 minutes of the 700 block washington st that isn't outrageously priced?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:45 PM

After a tour around the city, our thoughts were
Greenfield = way too out of it
Irvington = too sketchy
Fishers = too bland, not that walkable
Carmel = perfect!

Now we just have to find something in our budget there and in the most convenient walkable location. Trying to stay towards the south side of Carmel.

We tested out the commute, and it took around 25 minutes (around 2pm so not much traffic). We went down Keystone-lots of stoplights. Is there a better way to go?

Old 01-06-2017, 03:29 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
I've done Meridian down to 38th St and then jog west to Capitol Ave where it's one way into downtown. Coming north take Illinois to 38th and back to Meridian. You could take Illinois all the way to Kessler but north of 38th St it's no longer one way and it narrows back to just a 2 lane road. Plus there are several 4-way stops as you pass by Butler University. I don't have to drive this route much, but the times I have even at rush hour it wasn't too terrible. The stoplights on the one way streets are timed well to keep traffic moving for the most part. Plus Meridian is just a much nicer area to drive through between 86th St and 38th St than Keystone is. Lots of trees, nice big houses. No ugly strip malls everywhere.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:57 AM

10 posts, read 11,701 times
I can speak to Brownsburg...you will find it is safe, generally affordable, a relatively short commute to downtown, and the schools are outstanding. They recently scored first in the state in standardized testing and are all graded A+ by the state. Walkability is an issue, though. They are planning to build more pedestrian trails and mixed-used developments in the town center, but for now it is still really car-centric. There are a few really good mom-and-pop restaurants, and there is a supportive atmosphere for the development of more local businesses.

Avon is nearby and has very similar attributes but is even less walkable - it is centered around a very busy street full of big box stores and chain restaurants. Schools are very good, especially the music program.

Zionsville has a charming town center and excellent schools, but the commute is longer and you will find housing is more expensive there.

Traffic in parts of Fishers is awful. Google Maps won't convey the delays that occur when there are wrecks or traffic jams on I-69.

I find Brownsburg to have more of a blue-collar feel (please understand, there is nothing wrong with that...I live there) than say Zionsville or Fishers. The largest employers there are racing teams and distribution warehouses, although there is a growing medical sector. Diversity is growing steadily.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamr413 View Post
I can speak to Brownsburg...you will find it is safe, generally affordable, a relatively short commute to downtown, and the schools are outstanding. They recently scored first in the state in standardized testing and are all graded A+ by the state. Walkability is an issue, though. They are planning to build more pedestrian trails and mixed-used developments in the town center, but for now it is still really car-centric. There are a few really good mom-and-pop restaurants, and there is a supportive atmosphere for the development of more local businesses.

Avon is nearby and has very similar attributes but is even less walkable - it is centered around a very busy street full of big box stores and chain restaurants. Schools are very good, especially the music program.

Zionsville has a charming town center and excellent schools, but the commute is longer and you will find housing is more expensive there.

Traffic in parts of Fishers is awful. Google Maps won't convey the delays that occur when there are wrecks or traffic jams on I-69.

I find Brownsburg to have more of a blue-collar feel (please understand, there is nothing wrong with that...I live there) than say Zionsville or Fishers. The largest employers there are racing teams and distribution warehouses, although there is a growing medical sector. Diversity is growing steadily.
Thanks for all the info on Brownsburg! I will have to look into it more since the commute from there seems reasonable and the schools are so good!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Carmel gets so much good run and props on this forum.

I now truly feel like the 2.5 years on this Earth that I spent living there have been utterly fulfilling and deeply meaningful

Old 01-25-2017, 04:13 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamr413 View Post

Avon isn't bad if you stick the to the areas between 10th and 21st Streets. Rockville Road is a nuisance, but when we lived there we simply avoided it, which isn't difficult to do.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis