Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:13 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer for a promotion in Indianapolis. I will be flying out next week to meet with my bosses and see the city before I accept the position but I will most likely take the job. With that said, I created this thread to ask: what do Indianans do for fun?

My family likes to hike, camp, and generally be outdoors. I understand Indiana is going to be different than California in that regard, but where are some good places to be outdoors and camp? I'm willing to drive a few hours to do these things, so where do you guys recommend?

What other recreational activities do people in Indiana partake in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Brown County state park is just 1 hour south of downtown Indy and is large with a variety of outdoor activities. There's no California size mountains but the terrain is hilly and forested, reminds me of the Ozarks. South Central Indiana from Brown Co south to the Ohio River is hills and forest and has the most outdoor activities.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I have a job offer for a promotion in Indianapolis. I will be flying out next week to meet with my bosses and see the city before I accept the position but I will most likely take the job. With that said, I created this thread to ask: what do Indianans do for fun?

My family likes to hike, camp, and generally be outdoors. I understand Indiana is going to be different than California in that regard, but where are some good places to be outdoors and camp? I'm willing to drive a few hours to do these things, so where do you guys recommend?

An easy day trip to Muncie you can walk or bike the Cardinal Greenway.. They turned the old railroad tracks that goes from Marion to Richmond into a hike and bike trail. About 60 miles. It's complete thru the Muncie and Delaware County portion. It really is a great way to spend a leisure afternoon of quality time with the family.

Here's a link.

http://cardinalgreenways.org/

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 12-31-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 11:31 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
It might not be the kind of outdoor activity you were thinking of, but it's easy to garden here. Flowers and vegetables grow very well with the mix of sunshine and rain. Some people even keep chickens. If you'll be renting, there are community gardens around town.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:56 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Brown County state park is just 1 hour south of downtown Indy and is large with a variety of outdoor activities. There's no California size mountains but the terrain is hilly and forested, reminds me of the Ozarks. South Central Indiana from Brown Co south to the Ohio River is hills and forest and has the most outdoor activities.
Looks nice, thanks for the recommendation!

Old 12-31-2016, 12:32 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
First thing to learn: we are not Indianans. We are Hoosiers. Would be a great faux pas to say it in an interview.

What we do for fun depends on our personal likes/dislikes. I garden, walk in my woods, read, go to concerts, relax at home, travel, etc. etc.

There are many state parks driving distance from Indy. I don't know if you can camp in the Indiana Dunes, but it's always worth seeing and spending time there.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:53 AM

158 posts, read 175,334 times
Some great suggestions above. For getting out right here in Indy, Fort Benjamin Harrison on the northeast side has some good hiking trails and horseback riding.

The Monon Trail on the north side is 15 miles of trail for walking, biking, jogging. My favorite part cuts through Broad Ripple.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post

Since you are willing to drive, I will give some options from around the state outside the metro area. The metro area itself has some options, between municipal, state, and county parks. There are three reservoirs for water activities of various types: Eagle Creek, Geist, and Morse, all located in the norther park of Indy or the suburban areas. Biking has also become fairly big in the metro area and the state as a whole. There is a statewide trail network, with some still having some work to be done.

For hiking, Indiana has lots of options, but the options are mostly lower tier compared to more mountainous regions. Southern Indiana and parts of Western Indiana have some decent topography. I will just list some different areas in and around the state.

Brown County State Park (SP): One of the more popular parks due to the hills in the region. About an hour or so south of the metro area depending on where you leave from. A small tourist town, Nashville (think a very mini-Gatlinburg or , is basically right next to the park.

Monroe County (Bloomington/Indiana Univ.): The county west of Brown County. The Hoosier National Forest is located here. Lots of hiking and camping options. Lake Monroe is very popular for boaters and has boat rentals. Morgan-Monroe State Forest is in the northern part of the county (Morgan County to the north). This is likely the closest state forest to Indy, just off State Road 37 (SR-37).

Spencer Indiana/McCormick's Creek SP: Northwest of Bloomington is McCormick's Creek SP near Spencer.

Cataract, Indiana: Cataract Falls State Rec Area is located here. Some photos show people swimming, though it is posted no swimming allowed.

Mitchell, Indiana/Spring Mill State Park: South of Bloomington. This park has some decent hiking. They also have an old village area with people representing the time period during certain months.

Northern Parke County/SW Montgomery County: Due west of Indianapolis almost to the IL border is Parke County. In the northern part of the county are two very popular state parks. Turkey Run SP and Shades SP, with about a six or so mile drive from each other. Turkey Run is more built up, Shades not so much. Right next door to Shades (you have to park inside Shades SP and hike across IN-234) is Pine Hills Nature Preserve.

Far southern Indiana: In the southern park of the state you have the second part of the Hoosier National Forest. You also will find another popular park, Clifty Falls SP near Madison Indiana.

Northern Indiana: Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore along Lake Michigan is very popular. In the NE part of the state, north of Ft. Wayne is Pokagon SP. Pokagon is popular in the winter months because they run a toboggan sled ride.

In addition to these popular parks for hiking and camping, lots of people here are into boating and/or fishing. Some popular lakes/reservoirs that I know of are: Racoon Lake (a/k/a Cecil M Harden Lake), Cagles Mill Lake, Lake Monroe, Patoka Lake, Brookville Lake, Mississinewa Reservoir, and Salamonie Lake. Some may or may not allow certain types of boats, some have boat, and even house boat, rentals. Winter time wise, there is some skiing in southern Indiana, but better options are up in Michigan.

In surrounding states check out Shawnee NF (Garden of the Gods) in S. IL, Daniel Boone NF in E. Kentucky (Red River Gorge area and others), and the Hocking Hills area SE of Columbus, OH. If your willing to put in a few more hours of driving, you then open yourself up to the Southern Appalachians. From Boone/Blowing Rock along the Blue Ridge Parkway towards Gatlinburg/Cherokee.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:03 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
All the options indy_317 are fine.

However, consider that Clifty Falls is about two hours from Indy. Much of southern IN isn't serviced by interstates and getting around can be slow.

There is very little you can do from Indy within an hour.

Pokagon is great, but that is on the MI border pretty much and 2.5 hours away. Garden of Gods is about five. Completely forget the Smokies/Boone - Knoxville is 7 hrs away and Boone is probably 9.5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis