Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 AM

918 posts, read 1,688,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Enjoy those high income and sales taxes, hellish traffic, silly bathroom laws, higher crime rates, and the really hot summers. Last year was near 100 with 110 heat Index. The kind of heat that kills people. #GoodRiddance
LMAO, you never disappoint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:52 PM

129 posts, read 165,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Enjoy those high income and sales taxes, hellish traffic, silly bathroom laws, higher crime rates, and the really hot summers. Last year was near 100 with 110 heat Index. The kind of heat that kills people. #GoodRiddance
What is wrong with you? Why are you belittling him for making a decision to move to a different city?

Old 02-06-2017, 04:26 PM

918 posts, read 1,688,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House23 View Post
What is wrong with you? Why are you belittling him for making a decision to move to a different city?
McBroadrippleGuy is convinced that Indianapolis, IN is hands down the best place in the entire galaxy, and anyone who dares to think differently or expresses even a slight preference to a different municipality shall incur his wrath to full extent.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:48 PM

7,059 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
McBroadrippleGuy is convinced that Indianapolis, IN is hands down the best place in the entire galaxy, and anyone who dares to think differently or expresses even a slight preference to a different municipality shall incur his wrath to full extent.
lol....Indy has alot more to offer than Fayetteville, NC, that's for sure! That said, I have spent years in Indy total, and 1 day in Fayetteville, so maybe there is something I missed. Certainly the warmth and close to the beach are two things Indy will never have. I actually prefer Indy to much of NC outside Charlotte, but that's a different discussion.

Hopefully the OP finds happiness.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:34 PM

1,705 posts, read 3,051,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Certainly the warmth and close to the beach are two things Indy will never have. I actually prefer Indy to much of NC outside Charlotte, but that's a different discussion.
NC took the majority of medical professionals I spoke with who were leaving Indy. They were going all over: One in mountains, two further east closer to the Triangle area. Of the three I recall, one I believe was from the upper Midwest. The other two grew up in Indiana from what they said, and I remember them being from smaller cities/towns at that. I've only driven through the major metros of Winston-Salem and the Triangle area. I mostly stayed either on the beach or in the mountains. Also know a person who took a job in Charlotte but never knew the why (the job they took was public and the posted wage wasn't anything great).

It is hard to beat NC when it comes to weather and outdoor activity. Having the beach and mountains somewhat close is great for those who like outdoor activities. The Asheville area is one that is calling for me, but not sure if that will ever happen.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 PM

641 posts, read 1,007,945 times
Asheville isn't nearly as unique, weird, funky, artsy or hip as it was 8-10 years ago. It's become a corporate, pseudo-hippie community with skyrocketing rents and horrible traffic. The vistas are beautiful and you'll find some pockets of the original people and shops that made it so great a decade ago, but they are few and far between.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,845,575 times
I spent 21 years in Indianapolis, back when we called it IndiaNOplace and said it was a good place to be FROM. I couldn't skedaddle out of there fast enough.

I've spent a couple of days in Fayetteville. It was the longest three weeks of my life.

I wonder if the OP realizes that anywhere he goes, unless he choses to bunk in a homeless facility or rents a room in a flophouse, he's probably going to have to come up with first month's rent, security deposit (usually one month's rent) and sometimes last month's rent UP FRONT to move into an apartment. That's IF he finds a place to rent with no established job. Then he's going to have to pay electricity, water and maybe gas deposits to get the utilities turned on, unless he is lucky enough to find some place that includes utilities (rare).

I hope he has managed to save several thousand dollars from his minimum wage job in Portland.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:59 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,002,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemarine772 View Post
How could I possibly be better off where I am now, I cant even afford a studio apartment here. Portland is so overrated, I dont understand why so many people want to live here. I could care less about this city.
You're not . Most of these people have never lived in this region . That's obvious by some calling you homeless when everyone and their dog know that renting a room is in fact NECESSARY for most people your age in the Portland - Seattle region . BTW to all reading this he actually has a good deal which is totally ridiculous but true .

We are 30 years older than you and leaving Seattle by summer not because we want to but because we HAVE Too . We came here making approx $80,000 a year, 10 years , 3 lay offs and many paycuts ( for all) later we will be lucky to get out of here with the clothes on our backs -we don't have alot else anymore . We really did not want to go back to the south either ( like at all ) but I am with you on all the towns you named that would not work.

This whole Seattle- Portland region has gotten incredibly expensive VERY fast . I am paying just under $1400( incl water , sewer and trash ) for a 2-2 and its not worth it anymore when all you can do is sit in it and go to work . Again to people reading this . This amount is considered cheap here for a rental.

and yes folks he knows what he has to come up with to get an apt ..jeez

Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,151,395 times
Have you researched suburban options or other Oregon cities yet (Eugene, Corvallis, Medford, Bend, etc) before considering moving over 2,000 miles away?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:50 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,151,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemarine772 View Post
Just so you guys know, ive decided to move to Fayetteville, NC. Indianapolis has a high crime rate, plus it gets cold in the winters. I really miss the great climate in the south east. Also, the scenery is much better in NC.
Good luck in Fayetteville, NC. Hope it goes well for you there.

Last edited by chessgeek; 02-09-2017 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis