Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 52,831 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both grew up in Indy and are considering moving back after 11 years away. We now have a toddler, so finding a good school system is a top priority. We both went to North Central HS (96 & 97 graduates) and it was the #1 school in the state at the time. Washington township was phenomenal in terms of resources, athletics, academics, music, etc., etc., etc. But, this was also over a decade ago.

What I've been shocked to find, however is that NCHS is only rated as a 6 out of 10 on greatschools.net. And Lawrence schools are rated lower than I expected (they had great reputations back then, too). What's up? Are these rating systems unreliable? Have Washington and Lawrence Townships taken a turn for the worse? Most of the threads I've seen on this forum recommend schools outside the city (i.e., Carmel, Fishers). Are the outskirts the only hope? Are there no longer any good townships within Indy????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:07 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscney View Post
My husband and I both grew up in Indy and are considering moving back after 11 years away. We now have a toddler, so finding a good school system is a top priority. We both went to North Central HS (96 & 97 graduates) and it was the #1 school in the state at the time. Washington township was phenomenal in terms of resources, athletics, academics, music, etc., etc., etc. But, this was also over a decade ago.

What I've been shocked to find, however is that NCHS is only rated as a 6 out of 10 on greatschools.net. And Lawrence schools are rated lower than I expected (they had great reputations back then, too). What's up? Are these rating systems unreliable? Have Washington and Lawrence Townships taken a turn for the worse? Most of the threads I've seen on this forum recommend schools outside the city (i.e., Carmel, Fishers). Are the outskirts the only hope? Are there no longer any good townships within Indy????
I am not expert, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But from the schools I have looked at; it seems greatschools relies very heavily on statistics. Which is fine, I guess that is the only way to come up with a quantitative number, but stats are very often misleading. It seems to me that the majority of people that post about schools are people who are afraid of the city and are conditioned to think that the only good schools exist outside of Indianapolis. Again, that is just how it SEEMS to me, and I am not trying to put down those people or those schools. Most of them are in fact very good schools. You just have to keep in mind stats and ratings are dragged down in some of the township schools due to factors that do not exist in Carmel; but those same factors are not likely to affect your child and their ability to attain a solid education.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM

13 posts, read 52,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
You just have to keep in mind stats and ratings are dragged down in some of the township schools due to factors that do not exist in Carmel; but those same factors are not likely to affect your child and their ability to attain a solid education.
What are those other factors you're referring to?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscney View Post
What are those other factors you're referring to?
Poverty is more prevelant is some of the townships. Unfortunatly, this tends to lower/skew some of the "statistics."

EDIT - Let me qualify this before someone jumps allover me for being stereotypical or something. The grad rates are lower and istep scores lower not because you can not attain a good education, but because students who are pre-disposed to not doing as well make up a larger popualtion in township schools than in places like fishers. This is not likely to effect your child, but it does skew the stats. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 03-05-2008 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-05-2008, 04:31 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
You should also check out the Indiana Department of Education website, they have a lot of good info.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 115,050 times
School Snapshot

Most reliable up to date info.

NC is actually still the best HS in the city (not counting private schools) The graduation rate went up from last year and the students are still above average in ISTEP. Washington Township and Franklin Township are the last remaining "good" districts in the city. NC was ranked 514 in the top 1,300 schools in the nation for the last 3 years. By the time your children are ready for high school though, I think it would be best to look outside the city.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,637 times
The sites rate standardized test scores only- so keep in mind there are ESL students and LD students figured in too-so if the scores are good ,in spite of those factors, the schools must be pretty good. Also, check out the top rated IPS and Pike twp. schools on greatschools.net...they seem to be getting a bad rap on this site DESPITE their amazing success lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis