Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times

Advertisements

Indy has probably one of the lowest hispanic populations of the 50 largest cities in the country. Its conservative values and lack of a hispanic presence in stores and people has resulted in most hispanics choosing to live in other cities. Hispanics like to live with other hispanics, and it would definately be hard here, so many stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:11 PM

12 posts, read 51,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien! View Post
Well, in response to your note, I would like to point the followings:
1. You are right. I have not really been much around Indy. I go to work everyday, come back home and spend few hours listening to my wife's complaints, keep blaming myself for coming to Indiana (while I had many opportunities in other states), and go to bed.
2. I agree, the nature here is overall beautiful, even the wildness of winter has it's own beauties, no doubt.
3. i am an American too, just was born somewhere else, but yet, people here look at me differently, that's okay though. What really bothers me is my wife's experience.
4. if there were not many jobs available for a profession, your argue would absolutely be right, but for nurses as you know there are plenty of jobs open. Mainly, my wife is really over-qualified. They don't get her even for jobs that are advertised and remain open. she has gotten to a point that she's even ready to do a work much less than her qualifications, but... She is completely convinced that they don't get her only due to her not being from America originally, and I believe she's right because I know how smart she is.
I came to this state with lots of hopes, but seems like we may have to move out at some point.
Well, I am sorry for your wife. No one should feel like they cannot receive a position for any other reason that they are under qualified and do not have enough experience yet. It is such a catch 22, because with some positions, people are not receiving the ideal position for them because of the Equal opportunity stuff and balancing, whether Caucasian or some other minority race. It's unfortunate because something that was founded to help someone fairly receive an opportunity (whether white or another race, again) is obviously not effective, either way.- for example, for your wife. In a perfect world, it would all be based on your qualifications, and only that, with no discrimination. But, even with EOE, it's not so. I am glad that you recognize that you are “American.” Although it is so important to not forget who you are and your culture, I think so many people get so wrapped up on it and then there’s this contest, as you can see from this forum, to what region or city is “the most diverse” or “lack thereof.” I think you need to just realize what matters to you and what you enjoy in life, and then move to a place that hosts possibilities for that environment for you; without the other logistics. –just my opinion. After all, living life to the fullest and enjoying it is what matters, get to know people who are different than you, and don’t compare areas on “diversity.” (unless areas that are lacking diversity so much make you feel inferior or not part of the community/gang)

I have taught in HSE (Fishers) and lived on the far North side with a lot of acquaintances in Carmel. So, that's why I mentioned all of that about the North suburbs with some knowledge. It's hard to get out if you don't know what's out there. Try some museums; go to the different art districts (Broad Ripple's on the North side and close). Try something different. Go to the canal downtown... there's a lot to do there (Old World Gondoliers, pedal boats, fun bike rentals) or ride on a horse carriage. Go to one of the many beautiful parks... Holiday Park, for example on Spring Mill road, is one of my favorites. And again, go to Southern Indiana, or Brown County- it is beautiful (especially in the fall- they've got cabins you can rent out. But, you've got to reserve kind of early)! Bottom line, you've got to be happy where you are. So, I wish the best to you. But, there are a lot of hidden things here that you might still have left to discover.

Well, good luck. I am obviously under qualified at this time, with not having my own classroom yet, which is preventing me from standing out from the others. So, how do I get experience without someone giving me a chance?! On the contrary, I have heard that teachers are encouraged and more or less expected to eventually try for their masters, which I plan on doing. However, it is then that you are in a way "too qualified" because they have to pay you more (as whole $500-1000, maybe, a year) and it is more difficult for you to get a job. So, no experience=no job. Too much=hey, no job again. I guess that's our good old government for us; not allocating enough money for the education system. You know, we're only here to serve the future- the kids. But, I am sure all industries have this same "catch 22."

For all those interested in the Midwest, Indianapolis represents the regions typical weather patterning and is a "small town feel in a large city." So, it's easy to get around and do a lot without all the hassles of, say, Chicago. But, Chicago is definitely an awesome city (although twice as expensive as Indy). Overall, you've got to truly want to move to the Midwest because it is definitely different than the rest of the country.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGibby View Post
Lots of areas around Indy have a growing Latino population, but that might change when they pass the bill that cracks down on companies hiring illegals and next yr I believe they are making it where you can't get a drivers license without a valid SS card...that might put a ding in the pop. a little as there are tons of illegals here. I've heard a lot are retreating, or planning to retreat, to Canada
It is already like that. You need to have all of your immigration documents validated by USCIS and DHS before they will give you a license or even a state ID in Indiana. They started cracking down last fall. If you'll notice, the BMV is generally no longer full of people who can't speak a lick of English.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM

38 posts, read 181,548 times
The Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) have a great need for spanish-speaking teachers (especially in their near west-side neighborhoods). I wouldn't necessarily recommend living in those neighborhoods...but, they do serve heavily latino communities. As with many public school systems - they face standard problems (bugeting issues) - but I know IPS teachers who absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their jobs & the kids.

PS - The Indy commute won't be that dramatic. So, I'd say feel free to not really let your job decision affect what neighborhood you choose to live in. We think we have traffic...but, we don't. If the highways are "congested"...Indy side streets will zip you around in no time.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Iri

1 posts, read 2,724 times
Default Teachers

Hi,

There is a large community on the westside, you can look at the Indianapolis Public School School (IPS) website an check the openings I know that a ESL Assistant's position pays $18 an hour and they are in igh need of teachers that speak spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmills View Post
Hello,

I'm a Cuban-American, and a middle school teacher, and may move to Indianapolis later this year from California. I know there is not much of a latino population in Indianapolis, but there's got to be SOME latinos somewhere either in the city or somewhere beyond the city? (I don't mind a commute)

Does anyone know if there are pockets in the city or beyond where latinos are concentrated? I'm looking for where latinos are concentrated because I teach bilingual (spanish/english) education and I would like to find a school that needs my expertise.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 66,984 times
Default Look at Pike Township

Pike Township is VERY ethnically diverse. There are a large number of Latinos in the area, and many, many restaurants, tiendas and panadarias popping up, so I know there are many small business owners in the area. I can't tell you about the job possibilities, but I do know you would be most welcome in Pike. The Township has everything from Section 8 housing to multi-million dollar homes, and lots and lots of middle-class in between. Pretty much anyone fits in here.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM

35 posts, read 95,958 times
I would encourage you to check out other states before making such a drastic change. Indiana is NOT diverse at all most people will assume you are illegal or don't speak english and will talk to you VERY LOUD and think that makes it easier for you to understand...lol but true. It is mostly black and white here and yes Indianapolis has had quite a growth in latinos but compared to CA,AZ etc not evan close in comparision.

I have lived here all my life (moving soon) to AZ and as a hoosier i want to say welcome if you decide to come and also warn you. Im white my children are biracial (black & white) I speak spanish (self taught) and it's just not diverse here at all and its BORING!

Unless you like farmers markets,blah shopping and cuisine then you will agree. Indiana does offer low cost living evan in Carmel or Geist you can get a pretty decent home for 200k but as I have found out the money you save on housing etc, you will spend on vacations seeking sun,water,mountains,etc etc....and don't evan get me started about how SLOW it is here!

If you do decide to move here Fishers would be a good area lots of college educated people and nice homes starting at around 150k. Carmel stay out of my ex who is mexican and LEGAL with a valid drivers license woul'd always get pulled over by the police on his way to my parents home and guess what the first question would be? VERY LOUDLY "DO YOU SPEAKA ENGLAZA?" lol thats how the police would ask him in their very country accent. I would laugh because it finally got so bad he would videotape them and keep saying no no no me no speak english me speak hillbilly!!!!!!

And before anyone says oh he must have done something wrong maybe didnt use his turn signal or was speeding....No and No AND he happened to drive a bmw.....maybe they were jealous...also questioned him about his work and evan called his job to verify he truly was an employee of Chase bank as a loan officer...............................

Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait2move View Post
I would encourage you to check out other states before making such a drastic change. Indiana is NOT diverse at all most people will assume you are illegal or don't speak english and will talk to you VERY LOUD and think that makes it easier for you to understand...lol but true. It is mostly black and white here and yes Indianapolis has had quite a growth in latinos but compared to CA,AZ etc not evan close in comparision.

I have lived here all my life (moving soon) to AZ and as a hoosier i want to say welcome if you decide to come and also warn you. Im white my children are biracial (black & white) I speak spanish (self taught) and it's just not diverse here at all and its BORING!

Unless you like farmers markets,blah shopping and cuisine then you will agree. Indiana does offer low cost living evan in Carmel or Geist you can get a pretty decent home for 200k but as I have found out the money you save on housing etc, you will spend on vacations seeking sun,water,mountains,etc etc....and don't evan get me started about how SLOW it is here!

If you do decide to move here Fishers would be a good area lots of college educated people and nice homes starting at around 150k. Carmel stay out of my ex who is mexican and LEGAL with a valid drivers license woul'd always get pulled over by the police on his way to my parents home and guess what the first question would be? VERY LOUDLY "DO YOU SPEAKA ENGLAZA?" lol thats how the police would ask him in their very country accent. I would laugh because it finally got so bad he would videotape them and keep saying no no no me no speak english me speak hillbilly!!!!!!

And before anyone says oh he must have done something wrong maybe didnt use his turn signal or was speeding....No and No AND he happened to drive a bmw.....maybe they were jealous...also questioned him about his work and evan called his job to verify he truly was an employee of Chase bank as a loan officer...............................
//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...e-pheonix.html

I truly hope you find happiness in the Valley of the Sun, as based on this post and others by you, you appear to be the most miserable person in Indiana. I hope you also read the thread linked above. Apparently some don't see Arizona as a panacea either.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 PM

35 posts, read 95,958 times
Thank you for wishing me happiness I wouldn't say im miserable however I do love AZ.

Having my children called the n word,oreo,cotton picker,etc etc and having people make comments about their race...hmmmm are they mexican? are they italian? what are they? THEY ARE CHILDREN CREATED BY GOD!!!!! So yes maybe I do see more positives for my family and others who choose to love whomever they wish without regards to their race to live in a more diverse area.

Maybe youv'e never felt racism and I hope you never do...Im not saying it isn't everywhere BUT what I have witnessed for myself here it is more common.

To give you a better outlook I grew up in Carmel,bought my 1st home in Fishers and lastly moved here to Pendleton to purchase a home with more land. I will say Fishers as stated in my previous post was more desirable due to the fact that their were a "bit" more people of color........but as you know since you do live in Fishers that is few and far between.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 AM

16 posts, read 66,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait2move View Post
its BORING!
I'm truly stumped how you can have children and think Indianapolis is boring!

My son is 20 and was born here. We took full advantage of the many, many things to do and were never bored!

As a 1 month old, we started doing it all; we attended story-time at 4 different branch libraries, went to the Zoo regularly, the Children's Museum all the time, Conner Prairie, the Symphony, theater performances at at least 3 theaters, went to city pools, went to Indians baseball games, went to you-pick apple orchards, ice skating, State Fair, soccer games, Pacer games, went to 5+ city parks and many classes, Colts games, went to the Eiteljorg, shopped in 5 different malls, went on many a hayride, maze and pumpkin patch, went to the State Museum, etc., etc., etc.

Could you please explain? I'm honestly curious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis