Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 23,668 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a Cuban-American, and a middle school teacher, and may move to Indianapolis later this year from California. I know there is not much of a latino population in Indianapolis, but there's got to be SOME latinos somewhere either in the city or somewhere beyond the city? (I don't mind a commute)

Does anyone know if there are pockets in the city or beyond where latinos are concentrated? I'm looking for where latinos are concentrated because I teach bilingual (spanish/english) education and I would like to find a school that needs my expertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 02:52 PM

12 posts, read 69,871 times
Actually, there is quite a large Latino population here. The Lawrence area would be a good place to look. It's a diverse part of Indianapolis. There are two magnet schools in the Lawrence system for first through fifth grade students. One is technology based and the other is an immersion program with an emphasis on Spanish language.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 23,668 times
That is wonderful news! The city-data information said something like 3%, and it didn't seem like a lot, so that is very reassuring. Are those schools predominantly latino, or mixed?

Also, besides the lawrence area, does anyone know of any other areas that are predominantly latino, so that I have several schools I can look at when I start applying for jobs?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:47 PM
REM

368 posts, read 994,929 times
Yeah, there are ALOT of people from hispanic descent here... It hard to pinpoint a single area... most schools here are mixed and if they arent they are most likely mostly white or black.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:13 AM

7 posts, read 54,899 times
There are a lot of Latin groceries, markets and upscale restaurants in the north east Castleton area of 46250, in Indianapolis, which is about 5 miles from Fishers. It has a fabulous shopping, and dating scene, like Indy speedates which is nearby. And the upscale Keystone Xing is nearby along with other cool malls within walking distance. Tons of malls, clubs, fun things to do, nightlife, lots of fun, sexy Latin lovers. A friend of mine lives near there, and her boyfriend is a gorgeous Latino man, they are having the time of their life in northern Indy! You can also search meetup website and search for Latin meetup groups in Indy, and they will give you a lot of inside scoop on the hip areas for you. Another way to find Hispanic demographics, go to homefair website, and scroll down to city profiles, and go through each area code, to find the statistics on cultural demographics in each area.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 AM

260 posts, read 1,346,051 times
Lots of areas around Indy have a growing Latino population, but that might change when they pass the bill that cracks down on companies hiring illegals and next yr I believe they are making it where you can't get a drivers license without a valid SS card...that might put a ding in the pop. a little as there are tons of illegals here. I've heard a lot are retreating, or planning to retreat, to Canada

Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,241 times
The illegal immigration bill won't get passed. Too many lobyist will block it. Too many companies are making a fortune off illegal immigration. And companies are what drive campaigns. It has no chance of becoming law.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
I live in Indianapolis, and let me tell you, there are LOTS of Latinos here. You might be looking at an old statistic or something. The Latino population has increased by 43% over a few years. A lot of employers won't even hire you if you don't know how to speak Spanish. There is definitely a huge Latino population here. It's mainly Mexicans though. I don't think I've seen a Cuban once the whole time I've been here.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:23 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,321 times
Yes, there are Cubans here as well. I work with a great Realtor in my office who is Cuban and speaks spanish, and makes a killing! I wish I could speak spanish.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I live in Indianapolis, and let me tell you, there are LOTS of Latinos here. You might be looking at an old statistic or something. The Latino population has increased by 43% over a few years. A lot of employers won't even hire you if you don't know how to speak Spanish. There is definitely a huge Latino population here. It's mainly Mexicans though. I don't think I've seen a Cuban once the whole time I've been here.
I wouldnt really say "LOTS", compared to a lot of places its hardly any. Indianapolis used to be 3.9% hispanic and now its like 6%. Also that 6% in Indianapolis is all thats in the area, theres hardly any latinos outside of the city. A lot of cities on the west coast are like 40%+ latino.

I will say that Indianapolis has more latinos than most midwest cities though, there is some community there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis