Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:47 AM

316 posts, read 660,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw_al_2008 View Post
When I moved to Indiana last year, most of my colleagues recommemded Carmel for its excellent schools and large percentage Asian population. I chose Fishers and it turned out to be a big mistake. Fishers is less racially diverse and my kid encountered racial bias almost immediately on school bus.
So did you make the move to Carmel and how do you like it compared with Fishers? Would a Filipino family feel comfortable living in Carmel including kids going to High School there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,211 times
We're from the bay area and my husband might get a job at the VA in Indianapolis. We're asian in our early 50's. Can anyone suggest an area where we can rent an apartment that is safe and reasonable and possibly walking distance to VA?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:55 PM

76 posts, read 144,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes_88 View Post
We're from the bay area and my husband might get a job at the VA in Indianapolis. We're asian in our early 50's. Can anyone suggest an area where we can rent an apartment that is safe and reasonable and possibly walking distance to VA?
Apartments near the VA include Lockfield Gardens, Gardens of Canal Court, The Avenue, Canal Square, Canal Overlook, and Harding Street Lofts. The VA hospital is on the outskirts of the IU Indianapolis medical campus and therefore in close proximity to the rest of the IUPUI campus and the western edge of downtown. I would say start with looking at those and then use a resource like rent.com if to get a bigger selection. Also, the ones I mentioned may not be within a 10 min. walk, however they are close to the #10 bus route which serves the VA medical center as well.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:55 PM

143 posts, read 237,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le garçon d'Indianapolis View Post
Well, it depends on what culture you are in. Indiana is generally not racial, but it don't have cultural diversity (which that's actually the way I prefer). If you are religious (christian), and blended into the mainstream American culture then you'll get along with the people in here just fine, unless you go to the East side of Indianapolis where the crimes are. Usually, if you are not black, you don't wanna go to the East side. People there are racial and you may get mugged. But if you are the kind of Asians who cluster together and stick to the Asian culture, and believe in religions like Buddhism, then people here may not like you. They won't really do anything about it but you can tell that you are welcome if you are that type. Indiana is very conservative and backwards in culture. Take myself for example, I'm Asian too but I was adopted and I grew up around white people. And I can't get along with the kind of Asians who cluster together under their little subculture. So I think pretty much I can tell you what the situation gonna be if you move here. And good luck! Hope you can get along with you new neighbors!
What a load of crap.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:04 AM

261 posts, read 418,046 times
I am shocked people move to Indiana from other areas go thru "culture shock". Indiana is really not that much different than any other place in America. It's known as a typical American kind of place. Unless somebody is from a foreign country, I can't imagine experiencing culture shock in Indiana being that much of a big deal no matter where in the US they move from. I would say the biggest culture shock would come from going from a small town to a large metro area, or vice-uh-versa.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 06-01-2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 07:50 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
You need to move to the coasts, texas, the deep south, maine, etc. We moved from Alaska to Indiana to NC and back to IN. Very very different. Now if you move from suburbs of any big city to suburbs of a similiar city and almost everyone is from somewhere else, there is not as much culture shock.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:24 AM

261 posts, read 418,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
You need to move to the coasts, texas, the deep south, maine, etc. We moved from Alaska to Indiana to NC and back to IN. Very very different. Now if you move from suburbs of any big city to suburbs of a similiar city and almost everyone is from somewhere else, there is not as much culture shock.
I can understabd Alaska being different from Indiana, but what is really so different in the culture between Indiana and North Carolina? After high school basketball and bowling, Figure 8's and stock car racing are the most popular sports in Muncie and East Central Indiana. Almost any respectable city of any size in East Central Indiana has a race track. Anderson, Muncie, New Castle, Winchester. Isn't that about the same as North Carolina?

I lived from the time I was 11 years old until I was about 22 years old in Indiana, and been in Texas ever since. The biggest culture shock for me was going from living in Muncie to living in Houston. That was a culture shock. I remember when we first moved to Houston from Muncie, we thought Denney's was a fancy restaurant. We'd get dressed up and go eat there on Friday nights after work. I'd look out my window in Houston and all I'd see was concrete and apartments, and it was a 30 to 45 minute drive in traffic to the open country, whereas in Muncie, I could be in the open country within 10 minutes of down town Muncie, hardly any traffic at all.

I moved to Austin in the late 70's and I find the people aren't that much different between here and Muncie. Austin is really geared towards young people and middle aged people who are young at heart, but young people in Muncie, and middle aged people in Muncie who are young at heart would fit right in, here in Austin. Folks in Muncie would love the bbq here, and the Tex-Mex, and I'm sure they'd love all the fun events and the all the music and the entertainment districts in Austin. I don't see that big of a culture shock at all.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 06-01-2014 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Edited to correct a couple of spelling and grammar errors

Old 06-04-2014, 04:04 PM

316 posts, read 660,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
I am shocked people move to Indiana from other areas go thru "culture shock". Indiana is really not that much different than any other place in America. It's known as a typical American kind of place. Unless somebody is from a foreign country, I can't imagine experiencing culture shock in Indiana being that much of a big deal no matter where in the US they move from. I would say the biggest culture shock would come from going from a small town to a large metro area, or vice-uh-versa.
I am white born in USA Retired USN and have a Filipino wife and stepson that have never lived anywhere but the Philippines, so yes, they will be going thru a bit of culture shock moving to Laporte Indiana. We are conservative Christians, if one must have a title.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM

667 posts, read 2,888,209 times
To the OP, like has been mentioned if you are looking for just Asian areas of the city the Southside has a huge Burmese population with stores and restaurants supporting them. It's a large population that is continually growing.

In addition on the Southside is a large Sikh population.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 AM

71 posts, read 80,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple55 View Post
Any suggestions on where we can relocate happily between south Indianapolis and Columbus/Bloomington area? We are an asian family with two teen sons who love football and we're looking for a welcoming and safe community, great public or private schools and a sense of ethnic diversity.
lol by ethnic diversity, you mean people like you?

How is that diverse when you are seeking people who are like you?

Anyway, stay away from anything south or east. South is hillbilly bible thumping red necks. If you aren't that, then they won't like you. East side has diversity of other races but they won't like you either.

If you have professional or tech jobs like I suspect you do, then stay in Carmel, Fishers, or Geist.

If you have kids, think about private schools as the public ones are terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis