Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:14 AM

3,069 posts, read 2,398,593 times

Advertisements

Sounds like your neighbor in Carmel underpriced their house.

Carmel is a fine place. But the amenities you mentioned are a five-minute drive from my house.

"'Old and broke' is better than young and dead. J/k" Shootings here are typically drug-related.

An investment is something that makes money, not just something that can be sold quickly. Houses are not investments unless you're renting them out or flipping them. If Carmel is a hot market, there won't be many bargains there and there's no way of knowing whether house prices will continue to go up. Here on the near east side of Indianapolis, however, there's a lot of upside. There are stable neighborhoods and others near them that are improving (you can see it on Google street view). A lot of people who live here are engaged in improving their neighborhoods.

I lived through the same thing in Denver: I bought a house in a fairly seedy neighborhood and saw it turn into a trendy area over 20 years. Even so, the appreciation, annualized, was only 4.65% per year. The S&P 500 over the same period was 6.18%. $100,000 invested in a stock index fund would have been worth $83,000 more than a house purchased there.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 07-08-2017 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Sounds like your neighbor underpriced their house.
Actually, she was listing it for more than I had expected, but that's beside the point.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:39 AM

3,069 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Actually, she was listing it for more than I had expected, but that's beside the point.
I was referring to the house in Carmel with several offers within a few hours.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,650 times
Crime occurs in pockets all over the city but from my own personal experience, I'd say most of the crime in the city happens within a few miles of downtown. I got car jacked at gunpoint by five dudes last year just off of W. 10th St. near IUPUI. I would avoid the near-west side/Haughville. The near-east side can be a little dicey between downtown and Irvington. Same goes with the area north of downtown and south of 38th. The south side north of I-465 does have crime but I can honestly say from personal experience that I feel safer on the south side than the other places I mentioned above, even if a lot of the near-south side looks pretty run down. Things do happen other places, of course. These are just my observations. Just use common sense like you would in any city and don't go wandering into random neighborhoods you aren't familiar with and don't really have any business being in in the first place. This is especially true at night.

In general, though, Indy is fine crime-wise and has been experiencing a revitalization of sorts. Indy is filled with hidden gems to explore. Lots of great restaurants of all sorts, lots of cool coffee shops, cool bars/clubs for any mood/scene, a lot of great memorials, parks, and museums. A lot of the memorials and museums are free, too, which is nice. You also can't beat the accessibility/drivability of the city with dirt cheap/free parking. A lot of people love to hate Indy and I used to be one of them. My experience getting car jacked helped fuel that. But as I spend more time here and get out more, I'm finding that this city has A LOT to offer and I've grown to love it. It's just not overly obvious at first. I hope I helped. Be smart and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis