Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,094 times

Advertisements

This is seems to be the best website to get honest relocation opinions- so thanks for your input!

I, my wife and 4 kids (12, 10, 8 and 6) are moving to Indy. My sales territory is large extending from downtown to the Illinois border. I do not need to live in my sales territory if there is a preferable area. Right now I travel 33 counties in Northern Michigan- so any traveling I would do here would be microscopic in comparison.

Exact location is not all that important, but I do have a few parameters if some of you could help us out.

We are pretty unfamiliar with the area other than we have very good friends that live in Fishers so we would like to be within a 30 minute drive of them if possible. Probably to the south of Fishers would be preferable only because our home budget is around $170K. (I hear Fishers and Carmel is very expensive).

By the way- the reason we are wanting to move to Indy is mainly the better weather (way less snow) and good friends in the area. Plus we are very sick of our Michigan economy, Governor, breakneck taxes, etc.

Here are some things on our wish list for a new home:

+ must have high speed internet
+ somewhat close to a gym or fitness place and pool
+ decent schools
+ easy access to freeway system without too much congestion

Living more in the country is OK, too.

Between my wife and I and kids- here are our "likes" (hobbies) if it helps:

Family, fishing, triathlons, piano, church, church music, running, computers and comedy, night life, reading, swimming, Apple freak, small game hunting, biking, meeting people, hanging with friends and lot of laughing, politically conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,578,376 times
You should be able to find something in your pricerange in Fishers for sure. I'm a former Fishers resident who now lives in Columbus and am so glad we made the move down here, but it may be out of your territorial requirements (1 hour south of downtown Indy). You may also want to check out the White River Twp part of Greenwood, which is in the Center Grove school district. New Palestine is a small town and a small school system that is rated excellent. Really, you have most of the metro area at your disposal.

When you say, Apple Freak ... you mean the computer right? There's 1 Apple store in Indy.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 PM

18 posts, read 114,819 times
Fishers = Ridiculous traffic.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,094 times
Default Thanks

Ya- sorry- I mean Apple computers. Thanks that is great advice - I will look at those areas. What about Lawrence -is that too pricey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
You should be able to find something in your pricerange in Fishers for sure. I'm a former Fishers resident who now lives in Columbus and am so glad we made the move down here, but it may be out of your territorial requirements (1 hour south of downtown Indy). You may also want to check out the White River Twp part of Greenwood, which is in the Center Grove school district. New Palestine is a small town and a small school system that is rated excellent. Really, you have most of the metro area at your disposal.

When you say, Apple Freak ... you mean the computer right? There's 1 Apple store in Indy.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,578,376 times
There's no ridiculous traffic in Indy ... if there's an accident, sure, it's a backup, but traffic moves here. If you want traffic in Indiana, go up to the region, then tell me how bad Fishers traffic is.

Lawrence is nice, but the school system may not be palatable to some. They have a magnet system. My friend went through it for her 2 kids and couldn't believe how many hoops, forms and stress she had to endure to get her kids into a good public school. Now she has a kindergartner and a first grader who don't even attend the same school, one is in one magnet school, the other is in the other one.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM

18 posts, read 114,819 times
Well if you're looking at Lawrence you might as well go a little north to Fishers then. The school system is also a lot better.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 24,945 times
Mysuggestion is New Palestine--I have lived there for 4 years and love it. It's small, friendly, and has the only two 4-Star schools in the county (the high school and one of the elementary schools).

It would only be about 30 minutes to Fishers (I know this because my neighbor teaches school there) and the homes are very affordable, with plenty within your range.

It's still a somewhat well-kept secret out here, but we like nice new people.

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 PM

17 posts, read 74,723 times
You really need to be careful about the Lawrence area, the east/northeast side of town over there is pretty rough. I myself am searching for a new house and prices over there are fair but there's a reason for that.

2 pieces of advice: A) be very considerate of the property taxes as Indy is currently having some issues with that. I have literally in last three months run into figures as high as $4K a year in taxes because exemptions have fallen off, and of course since its done in arrears you're talking 2 years before that changes.
B) North side(Fishers, Carmel)=insane traffic. You couldn't pay me to live up there. Yes its a nice area but what takes 15 minutes in light traffic takes an hour during rush hour.

There are a lot of foreclosures to check out, you can get some great deals right now.

I suggest you look in the Southport or Greenwood area, they will be in your price range and have good schools, plus you won't be subjected to absurd property taxes. Greenwood has a lot of stuff for your kids to do, a very nice mall, and relatively little crime.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:29 PM

32 posts, read 88,781 times
I would have to say Carmel based on your like's. Here's why:

Monon Center: Brand new facility built by the city parks department. Outdoor aquatic center, indoor aquatic center, fitness center, walking/biking trails. Their website is very informative.

Monon Trail: Rail to trail walking/biking path goes all the way through the center of town. Big draw.

Carmel schools: One of the best in the state, if not the best.

Spiritual life: Abundance of established churches.

Traffic: Close to I-465. Traffic is not as bad as Fishers, in general.

Apple: Indy's only Apple Store is at the Fashion Mall at Keystone at the Crossing, which is on the Carmel/North Indianapolis border.

Politics: Hamilton County (north of Indianapolis) which contains Carmel and Fishers both, is known for being very conservative.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis