Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 12:25 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Being a World HQ2 means a LOT more than "people sitting at a desk all day". It means that vendors, contractors and employees will be traveling to and from it. Perhaps this would make more sense to have one on the east coast as there is already one on he west coast. Were it to be a singular World HQ Indy would be a better centrally located choice IMHO.
Indy is central geographicall in corn fields, but that’s it. Does amazon harvest corn? The east coast would be more central to talent and educated populations, close to NYC, DC and its politics, and basically in the center of the movers and shakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 02:32 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Indy is central geographicall in corn fields, but that’s it. Does amazon harvest corn? The east coast would be more central to talent and educated populations, close to NYC, DC and its politics, and basically in the center of the movers and shakers.

Amazon actually does sell corn now along with many other types of produce but the point here is Indy's central location measured by distance to other population centers in the country.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:04 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I think the State legislators killed Indianapolis's chances this week by failing to pass a hate crimes bill. IN is one of only 5 states without a hate crimes law. It says a lot about the culture of the state, and that culture is the "opposite" of what Amazon is looking at.

In the original RFP, and I'm sure this continues to be important to Amazon, one of the criteria is, a "cultural community fit" that indicates that Amazon wants the "presence and support of a diverse population." It cannot just be at a city level. It needs to be at a state level because state laws impact local issues.

Indianapolis stands up well when it comes to transportation, business climate, COL, but so do other cities. The state, and by extension, Indianapolis, doesn't meet that "cultural community fit" criteria and have a history of not supporting diversity.

Recall what happened after the RFRA nightmare. Amazon is well aware of that and this current backwards move by the State legislators.
I've only lived in Indianapolis for a few years. But when I came here looking for a house, I saw "Pence Must Go!" signs everywhere I looked. This was right after the RFRA. Since then, I've met more openly gay people here in a year and a half than I did in a lifetime in Denver. I'm not an expert on this subject at all, but from what I've seen, people here want to live their lives, get along with others, and not get into other people's business.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:07 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
They aren't building a warehouse! We already have one of those in Plainfield! It is called a corporate office where people sit at a desk all day. It's not a shipping center. Duh!
Seems you like Indy well enough to live here.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:37 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Raleigh is a well-known tech hub, and close to the coast, has excellent universities, and is close to the Acela corridor at a more reasonable price. I think it was a shoo-in for the finalist list from the start.
If a more moderate winter climate is the goal, I wouldn't be surprised if they picked Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Curious to know why Indianapolis being in Indiana is any more of a penalty than Nashville in Tennessee, Atlanta in Georgia, Austin in Texas, or Raleigh in North Carolina. For example, North Carolina has had similarly divisive social law issues that has prompted boycotts. To date, Raleigh is thought of as a favorite for Amazon and North Carolina still has those laws.
I don't think it matters. Look at Amazon's corporate board from their website. Mostly white men. I think even the one or two women I recall were white. The entire PNW is mostly white. The simple fact is that historically it was always the left that were the loudest in the political arena. Companies are scared to death that protesters will show up at conventions, HQs, their homes, etc.. The whole NC thing has more to do with trans-gendered issues which for some reason folks thought there was just as much support as the gay marriage issue. There isn't, it is an off-shoot and most folks could careless either way, but I know people who support gay marriage but they have a real issue about a grown man claiming to be a woman showering at their local YMCA with teenage females.

That isn't to say a truly bigoted place would have a chance, just that I think these "social issues" aren't as big of a deal as people play them out to be.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:24 PM

Why are posts in this thread disappearing without a trace/explanation ?

Toxic Toast just posted a link to an article about Indy earlier today - now it's gone along with several other posts from last few days.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
I deleted my comment, because reasons. This is the article from Curbed. City continues to get praise for landing in the top 20, net win for the city even if HQ2 goes elsewhere.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Oh. Well, I thought some other posts disappeared as well; it appears I was mistaken then.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Oh. Well, I thought some other posts disappeared as well; it appears I was mistaken then.
I think you're right about the others, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:44 PM

16 posts, read 17,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Hyper-censorship from the Moderators. Its typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis