Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 04:57 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think you're right about the others, but I'm not 100% sure.
Post were deleted without explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Quote:
The point is that there was a time people like you thought it was stupid for a city like Indianapolis to try luring an NFL team. There were people who thought it was stupid to bid for the Super Bowl; because get real Indy can't host a Super Bowl. The argument is the same one you made regarding Amazon. Mod cut. Twenty communities were invited to the table with Amazon. Indy is one of the 20. Whether we get HQ2 or not, we've already won. Trolls like you will keep trolling, and my city will keep succeeding.

It's a KNOWN fact you got the Super Bowl ONLY because you built a new stadium. Only way you'll get the game again is when you build yet another stadium. We all know the NFL rewards cities with the Super Bowl when they build new or do a major remodel (Miami).

So no, you didn't get it because the city is so great.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:33 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
It's a KNOWN fact you got the Super Bowl ONLY because you built a new stadium. Only way you'll get the game again is when you build yet another stadium. We all know the NFL rewards cities with the Super Bowl when they build new or do a major remodel (Miami).

So no, you didn't get it because the city is so great.
OK ... but they did get it. You can't reason that fact away no matter how difficult it is for you to accept or how hard you try.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
I do remember when we lost the first Super Bowl bid to the Dallas area, the chorus of sad haters arrived to tell us how silly we were to ever think the Super Bowl would come to Indianapolis. Yes, then we bid again, no way you dumb Hoosiers, the NFL isn't going to have the Super Bowl in Indy. Then they did. Ok; well, you have the Super Bowl, but the national media is going to rip your little town to shreds because you're so unworthy. Except, well, that didn't happen either. After that it has become, well, you know Indy will never get another Super bowl. It was a one time thing. Oh, and Amazon will never come to your little town either.

What a sad existence to keep hating on a community over and over.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:28 AM

135 posts, read 181,155 times
Quote:
I do remember when we lost the first Super Bowl bid to the Dallas area, the chorus of sad haters arrived to tell us how silly we were to ever think the Super Bowl would come to Indianapolis. Yes, then we bid again, no way you dumb Hoosiers, the NFL isn't going to have the Super Bowl in Indy. Then they did. Ok; well, you have the Super Bowl, but the national media is going to rip your little town to shreds because you're so unworthy. Except, well, that didn't happen either. After that it has become, well, you know Indy will never get another Super bowl. It was a one time thing. Oh, and Amazon will never come to your little town either.

There does seem to be something about Indy being in the conversation for ANYTHING that makes a handful of posters on here just lose it. I love it. Sad existence, indeed.

Personally, I can't imagine ever getting so worked up about any other city receiving anything, including recognition on a list, or being awarded the opportunity to host a sporting event. I might even feel...dare I say it...happy for them. But most likely, I'd just go on about my day and be a normal person about things.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Well we're hosting the BCS Championship game in 2022. It isn't the Superbowl but, it's a bigger deal to a lot of people that think college ball is more important than the NFL.

Furthest north it's ever been as well and it isn't coming here because of a new stadium.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:44 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,333 times
I've heard sportscasters say the final four should be here every other year. It should alternate between here an New Orleans.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:26 PM

160 posts, read 155,547 times
Quote:

Indy was very well received when it hosted the Super Bowl in 2012. Indy has a great airport, accessible and thriving city center, and neat neighborhoods that aren't too far away with their own personality. The food scene in Indy has gotten a lot better in the last decade.
The Super Bowl is a singular event; being the headquarters for Amazon is a much larger proposition. I am happy it made the top 20, but I would be surprised if Indy gets the final bid. I think it would be great for the city and business climate, but hard on housing prices and congestion. (I do think most people would be willing to put up with the trade off to be Amazon's second home.)
What holds Indy back is the perception of it being too conservative for the business community and Amazon worrying that would inhibit them from attracting top talent to live in Indy. Indy's airport would have to be established as a hub for travelers and shipping. The amount of office space Amazon would need is staggering when compared to current office space. If Amazon would choose Indy, I think its citizens would be benefited more than inconvenienced.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Kudos to Naptown for landing a spot. I can see why it was picked. Amazon is concerned with talent, and there are a lot of schools relatively near Indy that churn out a lot of tech talent.

That being said, I do have my concerns. Mike Pence really did a number on the state. While I strongly prefer Eric Holcomb to his categorically HORRIBLE predecessor, I do not think Indy is capable of catering to Amazon's needs. I just don't think it offers the urban and cultural amenities that its competition can. I also don't think that the state of Indiana has a good track record of supporting a diverse community, as outlined in the RFP. I also don't think that its total light rail BAN is a positive in any respect.

Amazon needs to be able to cater to a diverse pool of talent, which includes people who like the suburban lifestyle, and people who like an urban lifestyle. Indy does poorly with the latter, and is well-behind the times on that.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:40 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
That being said, I do have my concerns. Mike Pence really did a number on the state. While I strongly prefer Eric Holcomb to his categorically HORRIBLE predecessor, I do not think Indy is capable of catering to Amazon's needs. I just don't think it offers the urban and cultural amenities that its competition can. I also don't think that the state of Indiana has a good track record of supporting a diverse community, as outlined in the RFP. I also don't think that its total light rail BAN is a positive in any respect.

Amazon needs to be able to cater to a diverse pool of talent, which includes people who like the suburban lifestyle, and people who like an urban lifestyle. Indy does poorly with the latter, and is well-behind the times on that.
While Indy is a step (or two) below places like Chicago and Washington DC by most metrics, I think the concern about Indianapolis being in Indiana is overblown. I've asked in this thread, and other places, why Indianapolis being in Indiana is any more of a penalty than Nashville in Tennessee, Atlanta in Georgia, Austin in Texas, or Raleigh in North Carolina. For example, North Carolina has had similarly divisive social law issues that has prompted boycotts. To date, Raleigh is thought of as a favorite for Amazon and North Carolina still has those laws. No one has been able to answer that. If Indianapolis doesn't land HQ2, I think the list of reasons related to the city will be longer and more substantive than "well it is in Indiana and Indiana is backwards."

Also, the state recently undid the ban on light rail. Hope springs eternal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis