Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:36 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,936,530 times

Advertisements

rrah... Thank you kindly. Very helpful info.

Indy... Thank you, after mulling it over for a week, I think I'll go with IMCU... despite the shorter hours, they are open on Sat. I did notice several Chases, but, I always preferred those small town S&Ls before they went bust & CUs are the closest, in my experience. I feel more like a person & not an acct #. If it becomes too inconvenient, I can open another account at a more common bank, like Chase or PNC.

SB - Lol. My apologies, I thought you meant the other "closed".

I appreciate all the input. I know there's a marathon in Carmel tomorrow, so it might not be the best day to venture out to the IMCU, but they're open Easter Mon, so that'll be the day.

On another note, I've only been here 2-wks, but am really enjoying it. People are very pleasant, despite everyone warning me on how entitled Carmel residents are supposed to be. Having lived in only enormous cities my entire life, I just don't see it... everyone's been very kind to me. And, it's going to be beautiful around here in a few weeks, when the cornfields are planted & trees begin budding. Most of all, I love the feeling of safety... not used to that & that's one of the major reasons I'm here.

Happy Easter, Everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 05:00 PM

5,904 posts, read 7,231,986 times
Just a quick aside - you should never feel like an account number in a credit union, as you are a owner of you're a member.

Glad you're getting settled.

RM

Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM

158 posts, read 173,841 times
Fellow Carmel resident here. I would check out Forum Credit Union. Have always heard good things about them. They have a location off 116th street in Carmel.

Open to 5 M-T, 6 on Friday and noon on Saturday.

Don't listen to those people with their opinions about Carmel. They don't know. They just repeat the same old stereotypes they hear from others. The people here are just as nice as any other area around Indy.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters1 View Post
Fellow Carmel resident here. I would check out Forum Credit Union. Have always heard good things about them. They have a location off 116th street in Carmel.

Open to 5 M-T, 6 on Friday and noon on Saturday.
Thank you, Masters, I will check out FCU. For some reason, I didn't find them in my search. According to Google Maps, the one on 116th is permanently closed. The other 2 locations are 15-min or so from home, so that's convenient. I'll compare it to IMCU & choose one of those.

Quote:
Don't listen to those people with their opinions about Carmel. They don't know. They just repeat the same old stereotypes they hear from others. The people here are just as nice as any other area around Indy.
I understand. It's just thrown me, as I hear it a lot & I've only been here 2-wks. I've not found off-putting or entitled people anywhere in my travels... quite the opposite, in fact. I really like the people & scenery. It's very pretty here.

Happy Easter!

Old 03-31-2018, 06:44 AM

158 posts, read 173,841 times
I checked Forum's web site and it shows the Carmel location off 116th street as being open. I'm over that way on occasion and I'm pretty sure I've seen customers driving through.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters1 View Post
I checked Forum's web site and it shows the Carmel location off 116th street as being open. I'm over that way on occasion and I'm pretty sure I've seen customers driving through.
Thank you, M. I noticed that on Forum's website last night. Okay, I think I'm in error again... I swear I found something saying it was permanently closed, not just closed, as in for the evening... I think I need a nice, cold IPA to celebrate the holiday. Too much moving stress.

Cheers.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 PM

Default Update

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their info. I really liked Forum, but opened an account with IMCU, only because they have more locations & I'm unsure where I'll end up working.

And, a tip to anyone wanting to open a new account, IMCU is currently giving new accounts $200 or $250 (I forget) for signing up for automatic deposit... good deal.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 415 times
I lived in Noblesville in 2015/2016 after moving from California (and subsequently moving back to California), though I frequented all areas like Carmel, Westfield, Fishers, and many parts of Indianapolis propper... Having already been a CU member I joined Forum Credit Union, as they were a member of the same shared network as my CU in California. While I didn't actually have to open an account with Forum to withdraw money from my California CU, I wanted to have a local bank for bill paying reccords. Forum Credit Union was fantastic and their customer service was top notch.
While they may not have as many branches as the "Big Box Banks," I found that Forum's locations were always just in the right spot for whenever I need to deposit or withdraw money!

I count 13 (many more if you factor in shared branch locations!) total locations with another opening in Fishers

https://www.forumcu.com/Branch-and-ATM-Locations

I cast my vote for Forum Credit Union!

Old 07-21-2018, 09:08 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,410,923 times
I used to work for both FORUM and IU Credit Union and you can't really go wrong with either. I never really had a problem with Teachers CU as my ex wife used to work for them as well. Most CUs have a very family-like atmosphere because of their continuity, and most are "Community" charters now, so even though they have a name like "Teachers" and you might think you're only eligible if you're a teacher, you'd be mistaken.

FORUM is going to have the most convenience to the Carmel area and their HQ is just East in Fishers at 116th and I-69.

I can't really say anything negative about any of the local CUs in Indy - so IMCU would be an okay choice as well.

If you wanted a tiebreaker - I would suggest the bankrate.com safe and sound ratings. It's a measure of financial strength of the organization. I always say that 3 stars and up are fine, with 4 and 5 stars being "absolutely nothing to be concerned about". 1 and 2 star institutions? I'd be looking to switch my accounts pretty soon before something happens.

FORUM - 4 stars
IMCU - 4 stars
Teachers CU - 4 stars
IU CU - 5 stars

Well, that didn't help distinguish much - but proves that all choices here are good ones. So, you're free to choose what makes more sense to you convenience and rate/fee wise.

https://www.bankrate.com/rates/safe-...gs-search.aspx

Old 07-22-2018, 12:22 AM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
The credit unions are pretty fungible. I'd say it's what's most convenient in your travel pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis