Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 03:40 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times

Advertisements

We're in Southern California (Los Angeles County) and are considering relocating to the suburbs of Indianapolis, most likely on the north side (Carmel, Westfield, Zionsville, for example). There are a bunch of things we're hoping to leave behind when we do relocate, or at least hope to experience less frequently than we do here. Two of those things are (1) our homeless/panhandler problem, and (2) parking lot litter. Let me describe what my two children and I encountered this morning...

Monday late morning, we head over to our local Target for a quick shopping trip. Upon entering the parking lot, there's a woman panhandling on the median between the entry and exit lanes (and yes, some guy is handing her paper money out his car window). Off to the side is another homeless guy sleeping on the sidewalk.

As we park, we notice the usual trash in the parking lot. Today's example was an empty box from a baby stroller. This is fairly typical -- people make purchases at Target, un-box them at their car, and then find it to be too much trouble to either take their packaging home or take it back up to the outside of the store where there are trash bins. Same thing happens with dirty diapers (gross!) and any number of food/beverage containers/wrappers.

Walking into the store, we pass another homeless guy standing off to the side of the store yelling something to another homeless person who was rushing out of the store entrance.

On our way back to our car with our purchases, we cut a wide berth around yet another homeless guy pulling his possessions in a cart behind him along with a large (and unfortunately injured-looking) pit bull on a rope (leash).

Please tell me I'm not expecting too much by thinking we'll see less of this sort of thing if/when we relocate to the suburbs of Indianapolis...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 05:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Sounds like you were made for Carmel.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:02 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Too cold for most homeless people. Now maybe you might get some of that at a local Walmart, but it's unlikely.

Understand that Indiana is a very "red" state, with open carry laws. That is, people can carry handguns openly. That tends to cut down on "nuisance" sorts of interactions, if you know what I mean. In other words, most panhandlers aren't going to engage someone who is carrying a pistol on their belt.

However, I have been accosted at gas stations on occasion by the mom with the car load of kids asking for money for gas so they can get home. When that's happened I've offered to put gas in their car rather than give them money. Out of maybe 4-5 times it's happened, only once have they taken me up on the offer. Go figure.

RM

Old 05-14-2018, 06:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
I moved back home to Indiana after living in the Miami, FL area for 40+ years. Miami was filled with homeless, panhandlers and lots of trash/garbage. Lafayette, IN is soooo clean and I haven't seen any panhandlers. Such a difference! I do see people picking up bits of trash around shopping centers, gas stations, etc.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:11 PM

144 posts, read 160,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Too cold for most homeless people. Now maybe you might get some of that at a local Walmart, but it's unlikely.

Understand that Indiana is a very "red" state, with open carry laws. That is, people can carry handguns openly. That tends to cut down on "nuisance" sorts of interactions, if you know what I mean. In other words, most panhandlers aren't going to engage someone who is carrying a pistol on their belt.

However, I have been accosted at gas stations on occasion by the mom with the car load of kids asking for money for gas so they can get home. When that's happened I've offered to put gas in their car rather than give them money. Out of maybe 4-5 times it's happened, only once have they taken me up on the offer. Go figure.

RM

Music to my ears!

Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
I haven't heard of any panhandlers being shot, even though they're fairly common in the city limits of Indianapolis.

Carmel is nice and clean, but the litter in Indy is awful. Part of the problem, though, is a lack of trash cans on the street. There's a steep fine for littering in Indiana, but IMPD already has a lot to do.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:34 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I wasn't suggesting that people were shooting panhandlers, just that the presence of a firearm in such cases can be intimidating and diminishes people's desire to engage with someone who is carrying.

RM

Old 05-15-2018, 06:34 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
I've seen panhandlers before on the exit ramps of I-465. I used to occasionally see one guy at 96th and Allisonville Rd intersection but I don't go through there as regularly as I used to. I've seen them many times at the Keystone ramps to 86th St. I don't think I've ever been approached outside my car. There are some homeless in downtown Indianapolis, some playing instruments for tips but I've never actually had any approach me for money.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I rarely frequented the Target just north of Carmel in Westfield, but I never saw anything like the OP is describing there. I mostly used the Super Target in Fishers and Carmel Meijer. You might see some sort of domestic argument at a Walmart or something, but the suburban population is typically better behaved than this.

Open panhandling is not going to be tolerated in the suburbs. Agreed on the panhandlers on the north side exit ramps and occasionally on the streets, but that's easily avoidable.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:08 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
If you stay (ie: Live and work) on the north side, you won't have any homeless issues for the most part. You might see some people standing in medians. I did get approached with a sob story at a gas station around 96th and Michigan Rd. late last year. Now if you work downtown Indy, you'll have plenty of homeless to deal with.

Due to numerous factors surrounding drug addiction combined with all the mental hospitals/institutions closing down, and there is a lack of help for a huge number of people. These people are now all homeless. We have a huge homeless encampment in our industrial area near our downtown core (about a mile away or so) along the White River. There are a few others in the downtown area here and there and some are even out in the county a bit.

Our homeless issue likely isn't as bad because our winter weather likely pushes some to seek more moderate climates. I've heard the horror stories of Seattle, San Francisco, and other areas in S. California.

Basically, unless you live and work in the suburbs (well, most of them surrounding most major cities), you likely won't be able to escape the homeless anymore. There are just too many people who for one reason or another are essentially "lost." It doesn't really matter the reasons anymore, just the way things are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis