Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:54 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,019 times

Advertisements

What in the hell is wrong with these kids?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/us/in...red/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 07:35 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
What in the hell is wrong with these kids?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/us/in...red/index.html
It's sad, but it really doesn't reflect on the community in any way. It could happen in a good or bad place.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:02 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
I like in Indiana but 2.5hrs North of there. From what I know Nobelsville is a good area, but like "Serious conversation" has said, it can happen anywhere! I think a lot of it now if copy cats. I have 2 kids, both in Middle school now and we are also in a very good area; however, it is quite scary to think something like that can happen! I don't agree with arming teachers that scares me quite frankly) but I do agree with an armed security guard or police in every school. I also agree with metal detectors. What ever the schools decide I hope they are all proactive and do something quick!

Old 06-01-2018, 04:23 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
I was wondering what the mayor was thinking. Is this guy a total idiot?

Noblesville Mayor Asked to Leave Gun Store After Criticizing NRA Tent - The Truth About Guns

RM

Old 06-03-2018, 05:45 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I was wondering what the mayor was thinking. Is this guy a total idiot?

Noblesville Mayor Asked to Leave Gun Store After Criticizing NRA Tent - The Truth About Guns

I never saw that part of the story. The entire gun issue is one that is going to work itself out in the coming years. Assault weapon bans are pretty much coming, at least on a local level. Until the USSC rules otherwise, most of the lower courts are saying banning a certain type of firearm is allowable. Additionally, we are talking about a thirteen year old kid here. All the facts have have yet to be released. If this kid got his parents gun, why does the NRA stand in the way of prosecuting such gun owners? The NRA is OK with leveling maximum charges against criminals when they use guns. The NRA is good about teaching safety, but not everyone cares about safety. I think there is a fine line between a kid getting a gun and accidentally shooting themselves, intentionally shooting themselves (suicide) vs an intentional or accidental shooting of a friend/family member. Should there be a time when parental negligence with a firearm in the home becomes criminal when the kid gets a hold of it and something bad happens? There are plenty of comments on gun owners forums where guys have $3,000+ invested in ARs, handguns, ammo, yet they refuse to even consider a basic gun safe and/or home alarm system and they act all upset and surprised all there guns are now gone.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I never saw that part of the story. The entire gun issue is one that is going to work itself out in the coming years. Assault weapon bans are pretty much coming, at least on a local level. Until the USSC rules otherwise, most of the lower courts are saying banning a certain type of firearm is allowable. Additionally, we are talking about a thirteen year old kid here. All the facts have have yet to be released. If this kid got his parents gun, why does the NRA stand in the way of prosecuting such gun owners? The NRA is OK with leveling maximum charges against criminals when they use guns. The NRA is good about teaching safety, but not everyone cares about safety. I think there is a fine line between a kid getting a gun and accidentally shooting themselves, intentionally shooting themselves (suicide) vs an intentional or accidental shooting of a friend/family member. Should there be a time when parental negligence with a firearm in the home becomes criminal when the kid gets a hold of it and something bad happens? There are plenty of comments on gun owners forums where guys have $3,000+ invested in ARs, handguns, ammo, yet they refuse to even consider a basic gun safe and/or home alarm system and they act all upset and surprised all there guns are now gone.
I am a firearm owner. I am not an NRA member, as the NRA espouses some things I don't agree with. However, that being said, I do fully embrace the NRA's stance on safety and education, which is, in my opinion, one of the foundations of responsible firearm ownership. My firearms and ammunition are stored safely under lock and key at all times, and when they're out, it's for immediate use before they are returned to a safe condition and secured storage. I have no children in the house, only adults, but that doesn't matter. I would secure my firearms and ammunition the exact same way no matter who is living in the house. Safety is not defined by age.

I agree that if the owner (parent) was not responsible in the way that they stored or maintained the firearms(s) used, they should be held liable.

I have to chuckle every time I see someone on TV railing about the banning of "automatic weapons". It's pure ignorance and nothing else. If "automatic weapons" were banned, you would eliminate a good number of the firearms currently in use today. We would be down to revolvers and breakdown type shotguns pretty much. But - they would be just as deadly.

Anyway, back to the original subject....

The mayor going in and telling the business to comply with his request smacks of real heavy handedness, sort of a mafia protection thing such as, "It would be a terrible thing if something bad happened to your business, you know..."

If Mothers Against Drunk Driving were protesting at car dealerships, would he go in and tell them to stop selling cars?

RM

Old 06-03-2018, 11:40 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,114 times
Quote:

I have to chuckle every time I see someone on TV railing about the banning of "automatic weapons". It's pure ignorance and nothing else. If "automatic weapons" were banned, you would eliminate a good number of the firearms currently in use today. We would be down to revolvers and breakdown type shotguns pretty much. But - they would be just as deadly.
Really ?

So let's imagine the Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock with a revolver or a shotgun perched up in his room at Mandalay Bay. Still same count of deaths/injuries ?

Old 06-03-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Really ?

So let's imagine the Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock with a revolver or a shotgun perched up in his room at Mandalay Bay. Still same count of deaths/injuries ?
How about a bolt action rifle? That would do the trick. And it's certainly not a semiautomatic firearm. No way I could list all of the possibilities, but there are plenty of them.

RM

Old 06-03-2018, 02:39 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,114 times
Quote:
How about a bolt action rifle? That would do the trick. And it's certainly not a semiautomatic firearm. No way I could list all of the possibilities, but there are plenty of them.

RM
What about the question that I asked ? As deadly or nah ?

Old 06-03-2018, 04:44 PM

144 posts, read 160,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Really ?

The student who shot up Sante Fe High School in Texas used a pump-action shotgun and a .38 revolver. No semi-auto weapons to speak off, still killed 10 people, injured a dozen more. That's 22 direct victims in a short amount of time. Point being; a motivated and deranged individual who has adequately planned for such an event can cause an extensive amount of damage no matter his choice of weaponry.

If the Vegas shooter was using a revolver or shotgun, he wouldn't have planned to carry out his plan in that setting. These killers know what they're doing. The Vegas shooter specifically picked that area and those firearms--designed for long range--because of his vantage point.

Let's not pretend that the tool results in amount of damage caused as opposed to the setting, planning, and execution of that plan by the murderers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis