Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:58 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Carmel & Wells Fargo only has 4 locations throughout IN, so I'll be closing those accounts & opening up another in a new bank. It's a blessing in disguise as I've never been happy with the many mistakes & fiascos I've had to straighten out with my bank, but they're disbursed across the country in most states... just not IN... & that's the reason I've kept those accounts.

I've been researching & it seems most of the local banks have poor online reviews. Of course, we can't always trust those... many are outdated & there are also very few reviews... but what else do newcomers have to utilize? My rental office suggested Huntington or Chase.

What I see from Google Maps, if I pull up a list of banks surrounding me, is there are many banks with 1 location nearby & more choices than I'd have thought. I realize this is all subjective, but which banks do any of you in the area prefer? I looked up credit unions & see that the closest has hours 'til 4pm. I don't know if I'll always be able to make it there without Mission Impossible strategic planning, which is also why I'd like a bank in Carmel, so I can visit on Sat, if needed.

Anyone care to share preferences? Do any prefer credit unions vs traditional banks?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Any way you could get into a credit union? They're nonprofit banks, basically, so it saves you money.

Why do you need to visit a bank nowadays? Everything is online, many employers only do direct deposit, and you can get cash back at grocery stores and drug stores. I haven't been to my credit union, which is in Colorado, for over two years.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Any way you could get into a credit union? They're nonprofit banks, basically, so it saves you money.

Why do you need to visit a bank nowadays? Everything is online, many employers only do direct deposit, and you can get cash back at grocery stores and drug stores. I haven't been to my credit union, which is in Colorado, for over two years.
Yes, I was looking at IMCU, which will probably be my choice, even though they close at 4pm, M-Th. There are a handful of reasons I need to visit the bank in person... if you don't, that's cool.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:47 AM

Are they part of a network of credit unions? If so, you might be able to use another credit union in the network for your needs when IMCU is closed.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:52 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I prefer credit unions to banks, and if the credit union is part of the member network you can use any branch location of any credit union for in person business.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Are they part of a network of credit unions? If so, you might be able to use another credit union in the network for your needs when IMCU is closed.
Sorry, is IMCU closing soon? I searched for info on that & didn't find any.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I prefer credit unions to banks, and if the credit union is part of the member network you can use any branch location of any credit union for in person business.
Thanks for this info TT. I didn't know the above. I had a San Diego CU account years ago & was told I could make deposits via snail mail, which I'd never waste my time doing... particularly given that it took 5 days for mail to reach CA from PA, where I was living next. No one at the SDCCU mentioned anything about being able to use other CUs... boo.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
You might check into BMO Harris. We used Harris years ago and were always happy with them. Our banking is a bit more complicated than typical as there are business and personal accounts involved. Harris was the best larger bank we've used. Chase was AWFUL and charges a lot to have an account.

We use IU Credit Union now, but there is no branch in Carmel unfortunately. The closest is in Greenwood. They are a network member, but we discovered that it's not always easy/seamless to use that "benefit," and there maybe charges associated with that service. We've also incurred ATM charges in other states-even when using the network. I wouldn't depend on that frankly.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:45 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
+1 for IMCU.

For availability of branches/ATM's, there's a Chase on every other corner (seems like it, anyway). Their rates aren't great but I think the min balance to avoid fees isn't outrageous.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Sorry, is IMCU closing soon? I searched for info on that & didn't find any.
You said they're only open limited hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis