Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times

Advertisements

Carmel is great. Just moved here in March. Was voted best place in America 2nd yr in a row by several magazines... Town & Country, Niche & possibly others. Check it out... supposed to have good schools, as well.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...ve-in-america/

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:37 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
For whatever reason they can't manage to build roads quickly in Indiana compared to Illinois.
This gave me a good laugh, Ilinois road construction almost never ends. Redoing an interstate is much easier than completely cutting a new interstate which is what I69 is. It isn't' like they are just widening 37.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
This gave me a good laugh, Ilinois road construction almost never ends. Redoing an interstate is much easier than completely cutting a new interstate which is what I69 is. It isn't' like they are just widening 37.
Not sure which section of I 69 you're referencing, but the majority of Section 5 followed the same route as 37 through Monroe County. In many areas they did just widen 37. Yes, it involved some new construction, but 2 years behind schedule is ridiculous.

Section 4 was entirely new construction/new terrain. It was built faster than Section 5--the part that's 2 years behind schedule.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Not sure which section of I 69 you're referencing, but the majority of Section 5 followed the same route as 37 through Monroe County. In many areas they did just widen 37. Yes, it involved some new construction, but 2 years behind schedule is ridiculous.

Section 4 was entirely new construction/new terrain. It was built faster than Section 5--the part that's 2 years behind schedule.
The original contractor going belly up really didn’t help matters. It may seem like they were simply widening 37 but almost no existing road structure can be reused. The requirements for an interstate and a state route are pretty different.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:25 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
I-69 between Indianapolis and Evansville should have been completed in the mid to late 1960's instead of 50 years later. Think how much cheaper it would have been to construct in 1968 than 2018. Back then there was a lot of Hoosiers who for some reason were vehemently opposed to an interstate coming thru their neck of the woods. If memory serves, most of the opposition was coming from Bloomington.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I-69 between Indianapolis and Evansville should have been completed in the mid to late 1960's instead of 50 years later. Think how much cheaper it would have been to construct in 1968 than 2018. Back then there was a lot of Hoosiers who for some reason were vehemently opposed to an interstate coming thru their neck of the woods. If memory serves, most of the opposition was coming from Bloomington.
I agree with you there, I am curious about the amount of traffic though. I go to Henderson, Ky for work quite a bit and you hardly see anybody on 69 between Bloomington and Evansville. Also, they need to either put in a rest area or we need to hope some gas stations/truckstips pop up because there isn’t much around.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:15 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
I agree with you there, I am curious about the amount of traffic though. I go to Henderson, Ky for work quite a bit and you hardly see anybody on 69 between Bloomington and Evansville. Also, they need to either put in a rest area or we need to hope some gas stations/truckstips pop up because there isn’t much around.
Regular visitor to the Evansville area from Indy. So long as 37 between Bloomington and Martinsville is an ongoing dumpster fire I've been going through Terre Haute.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:11 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Yeah. The lack of traffic is odd. I’ve never seen a highway so deserted. You would think there would be plenty of traffic between Indy and Evansville. I’m not complaining though.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Regular visitor to the Evansville area from Indy. So long as 37 between Bloomington and Martinsville is an ongoing dumpster fire I've been going through Terre Haute.
I don't blame you! Maybe sometime in September, as long as it's not a football weekend at IU, it will be "safe."

Old 08-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The original contractor going belly up really didn’t help matters. It may seem like they were simply widening 37 but almost no existing road structure can be reused. The requirements for an interstate and a state route are pretty different.
Chadro--in case you didn't notice I live in B-ton. I live in the southern part of Monroe County. I live only about 1.5 miles away from 37 so instead of driving through town, I'm often on 37 to do normal errands, shopping trips, etc. I've seen the construction of Section 5 from the beginning because of my home location.

I know pretty much every in and out of building Section 5, what it's taken to build, all the new layers of asphalt, federal vs. state road requirements, etc. One cannot live here and follow local news without learning a lot about road construction requirements. Not much you can tell me about it to be frank as I'm a reader and learner.

To my original point, construction here has been slow, even beyond the problems with the original contractor. As an example, my husband had to pick-up our son at the airport this week. On the way up, he noticed 4 or 5 guys standing around a few of the barrels. 1.5-2 hours, later on the return trip, the same 4-5 guys are standing around in the same spot. Until very recently night work has been minimal.

To your point about the original contractor, every single person reading this thread should be aware of the problems with a public/private partnership in infrastructure building. If I recall correctly Section 4 was a year behind schedule also. At some point in the past year I heard the current federal government touting public/private partnerships. Despite the attempt to sell it as a good thing, it's not. Don't buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis