Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:24 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
Honestly I'm a little overwhelmed with where to live. Geographically Indy is better for me than Columbus in that it's 2.5 hours closer to home. Pro sports teams (not a Buckeye fan) could be fun.

Other than that, you're right they're just ~2M population midwest metros.
If the only thing you're after is moving closer to home, there is not much to really "sell" you on. The main selling point is shaving 2.5 hours off your travel time to family, which is a noble thing to do if you have that ability.

In general, it seems you have some pretty standard recommendations for areas to check out. Downtown/Mass Ave/Fountain Square/Broad Ripple are the usually suspects as far as recommendations. I live on the Near Eastside, areas of the Near Eastside and Irvington further east would be worth checking out too if you're looking for a place to stay. You didn't really specify the type of area you are looking for as far as in the city or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:01 AM

20 posts, read 26,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If the only thing you're after is moving closer to home, there is not much to really "sell" you on. The main selling point is shaving 2.5 hours off your travel time to family, which is a noble thing to do if you have that ability.

In general, it seems you have some pretty standard recommendations for areas to check out. Downtown/Mass Ave/Fountain Square/Broad Ripple are the usually suspects as far as recommendations. I live on the Near Eastside, areas of the Near Eastside and Irvington further east would be worth checking out too if you're looking for a place to stay. You didn't really specify the type of area you are looking for as far as in the city or not.
Yes, there have been some helpful suggestions here and I thank everyone for their time.

One requirement that would have some impact on location perhaps is that I want a garage for my vehicle. If I have to live a little further out in order to have that, then that's okay.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:11 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
Quote:
You didn't really specify the type of area you are looking for as far as in the city or not.
Yeah, if you can be more specific about things you'd consider good points or bad points, I think you'd get more specific recommendations.

Have you checked out this thread? It's about Carmel but may give you some ideas...and the OP is close to your age:

//www.city-data.com/forum/india...ingle-guy.html

Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:

Why does living close to home actually mean anything when you're 30 years old? You do you. If you fly a lot for work, then why does being in driving distance actually mean anything when you could just fly home when necessary using the miles you accrued for work? You can get to C-U by plane in 4-6 hours from most warm places in the US with a connection at ORD.

As others have said, you aren't going to be any happier in Indy than Columbus because it's the same exact landscape and basically the same type of people. Not that any of those things are bad, just that it seems to not fit your actual desires. Maybe start thinking about what YOU actually want to do instead of clinging to the distance from your family. It sounds like you are putting your parents and/or siblings over your own happiness which is honorable if your family has medical needs or other aspects which would make you feel guilty about being farther than a 4 hour drive away, but not so much if you're just afraid to chase what you actually want.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Why does living close to home actually mean anything when you're 30 years old? You do you. If you fly a lot for work, then why does being in driving distance actually mean anything when you could just fly home when necessary using the miles you accrued for work? You can get to C-U by plane in 4-6 hours from most warm places in the US with a connection at ORD.

As others have said, you aren't going to be any happier in Indy than Columbus because it's the same exact landscape and basically the same type of people. Not that any of those things are bad, just that it seems to not fit your actual desires. Maybe start thinking about what YOU actually want to do instead of clinging to the distance from your family. It sounds like you are putting your parents and/or siblings over your own happiness which is honorable if your family has medical needs or other aspects which would make you feel guilty about being farther than a 4 hour drive away, but not so much if you're just afraid to chase what you actually want.
Thanks, this is a good perspective and probably something I needed to hear. It's just convenience of when I do visit home, Indy would be about as convenient as you can get while still being a large metro area.

And yes, I would definitely be using accrued mileage for any trips home. I've thought about Dallas due to warm (well, hot in many cases) weather, Nashville, Denver, several other places.

I've moved from CU -> Cincinnati for a job, that job got cut short thanks to an acquisition, then I moved to Columbus for another job, which turned out to be a pretty terrible company to work for, and now I work as a consultant with the ability to live anywhere. I just don't see myself in Columbus long term, and so I decided to opt out of my lease, and really am just finding it difficult to pick a spot. I'd almost rather have to choose between two places rather than comparing several. I tend to focus too much on the cons of places rather than pros I think. I should just pick a spot and go for it.

If nothing else, a year in Indy would allow me to see how I like it and if not, plenty of time to make a decision.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Yeah, if you can be more specific about things you'd consider good points or bad points, I think you'd get more specific recommendations.

Have you checked out this thread? It's about Carmel but may give you some ideas...and the OP is close to your age:

//www.city-data.com/forum/india...ingle-guy.html
I read through that thread, thank you. I'd like a garage for my vehicle, so that does create an extra requirement for anywhere I would be living that would limit some of my choices in the city, I'm sure.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Why does living close to home actually mean anything when you're 30 years old?
Some people like being near family, some don't. The advantages and disadvantages are subjective and not really the point of the thread. OP stated that as an objective, and if that is what OP wants, there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:50 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,114 times
Columbus has NHL and MLS but Colts and Pacers would be a definite plus in my book.

Seems like OP already knows all that though. Not sure what else there is to sell; once the OP visits in a few weeks, he'll get a better feel for the city which will probably be more important than any outside sales pitch.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Pro sports team would be my major reason. I just don't feel like I'm in a respectable city if it doesn't have a few major sports franchises. Even if I don't follow them as much. It helps city pride and identity, and puts you on the national stage. The energy and buzz is amazing when your team makes the playoffs.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Never mind...I misunderstood the thread topic...deleted...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis