Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 PM

18 posts, read 15,475 times

Advertisements

Oh the burn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 02:41 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
What was the point of these links? One is for partial closures and the other is to repair a bridge that is unsafe to drive on.

Try again. Only this time 2 full major highway road closures within 6 months of each other.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:07 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Look at the bright side. Lots of road work is a sign of a good economy. After the bust of the rust belt, the state probably has lots of catching up to do and now the state can afford to pay for the repairs. Things could be alot worse. They could let the roads go and then have the worst roads in the nation. If the state let it go, then they'd be catching a bunch of crap for that. Durned if they do, durned if they don't.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 09-17-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What was the point of these links? One is for partial closures and the other is to repair a bridge that is unsafe to drive on.

Try again. Only this time 2 full major highway road closures within 6 months of each other.
Those are examples I recalled off the top of my head. 75, 94, and 96 all had complete shut downs in recent years in the Detroit area.

The point is that this is not some strange thing that happens in Indy. I mean, if you want they could do nothing and you can start a thread whining about poor road conditions or bridge collapses.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:21 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Look at the bright side. Lots of road work is a sign of a good economy. After the bust of the rust belt, the state probably has lots of catching up to do and now the state can afford to pay for the repairs.

I'm not sure we can really "pay for the repairs." Most governments owe a lot more than they have, with many being broke due to pensions and similar future IOUs. I view a lot of road projects as nothing more than handouts to the road construction lobby and transportation lobby. I'm actually shocked the government finally got the balls to jack tolls up on the toll road for semi-trailer traffic. If we really cared about keep our roads in good shape, we'd order all thru semi towed trailers be put on rail lines at the borders and ship the throughout the night from border to border. Of course this would cause so much havoc with the status quo it will never happen until gas is just so costly, or pollution is just so bad.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I'm not sure we can really "pay for the repairs." Most governments owe a lot more than they have, with many being broke due to pensions and similar future IOUs. I view a lot of road projects as nothing more than handouts to the road construction lobby and transportation lobby. I'm actually shocked the government finally got the balls to jack tolls up on the toll road for semi-trailer traffic. If we really cared about keep our roads in good shape, we'd order all thru semi towed trailers be put on rail lines at the borders and ship the throughout the night from border to border. Of course this would cause so much havoc with the status quo it will never happen until gas is just so costly, or pollution is just so bad.
Not only would it save the roads to a great degree, it would make the roads a LOT safer.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:25 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post

I feel you didn't actually read those articles. They are all major highways. The one in Nashville that you seem to claim is only half doesn't mean half the roadway, like INDOT is doing right now on I-465. It means half of the entire length of I-440 in Nashville, the first a full closure of all lanes between I-24 and I-65 and the second phase a full closure of I-65 and I-40. So go re-read the article again.

Here are other major highway closures from Dallas, Seattle, Los Angeles, and Minneapolis.
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/07/27/...ge-demolition/
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/rev...eeks/731191350
https://www.scpr.org/carmageddon
https://kstp.com/traffic/downtown-mi...ekend/4937183/

I guess you would prefer INDOT just close one lane at a time and take a year and a half of traffic backups to complete the work than closing one direction of travel at a time for a week and a half and be done with the whole thing in 3 weeks? Plus, the great thing about Indy, if you're just driving through, you can easily still get through the city on I-65 or I-70.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
It's a pain but they give plenty of notice and they always seem to complete the work on schedule (I69 excluded).

What I wish is that they would put a little more effort in outside of Indy. There are parts of 70, 69N and 74 that will knock your fillings loose. Repair would be preferable to a "rough pavement" sign.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:08 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
In addition to hiways, the downtown streets are mighty hard to negotiate. Allow additional time.

I was going from downtown to 64th and Keystone. Two bridges closed, 4 construction sites at corners with workers directing traffic, and then I was detoured due to a crime scene. Coming back along Meridian found it reduced to 2 lanes with no shoulder space from 38th to around Fall Creek. If you are unlucky to be behind a city bus or someone who wants to turn left, all traffic in that lane has to stop and wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis