Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 03:32 AM

6 posts, read 4,646 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how things are in Peru.

Is it economically stable? Are there lots of vacant or rundown properties?

I have looked at city-data.com as well as their newspaper, but there just doesn't seem to be much info on the place. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 04:27 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Have you looked at the Ft. Wayne CD group? That’s much closer than Indianapolis.

RM

Old 04-04-2019, 06:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Fort Wayne isn't much closer to Peru than Indianapolis. It's well over an hour drive from either city, about an hour and a half from Indy compared to an hour and 15 minutes from Fort Wayne. This would probably be better in the general Indiana forum.

Peru is ok. There isn't a whole lot going on there. I'm through there every once in a while since I have relatives that live in a small town near there. There isn't much info on the place because it's a small town and not much happens there. I've heard of issues with drugs but I don't have any credible links and you can hear that about any small town. The population has been on the decline since the 60s, supposedly dropping 12% between 2000 and 2010. Manufacturing is the main form of business so the economy goes with how that is going. Really, it's just that. It's ok. Not special but not the worst.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:58 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I realize that, but the area is more Ft. Wayne than Indianapolis in my opinion.

A lot of the cities up that way, like Peru, Marion, etc., are all sort of on their own in that they’re not close to any major metropolitan areas.

RM

Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 16,952 times
Default Peru current resident

We who live here it is Peeroo not pronounce like the country Peru. What do you want to know? Have lived here since 1986. When the Grissom AFB, went from active to reserve Peru has taken a nose dive. Kmart closed in March of this year leaving us with 2 Dollar Generals, Aldis, 1 CVS, 1 Walgreens, a small Krogers, Ace hardware. Many live here but work outside the county places like Logansport or Kokomo. Square D factory here will be closed by end of the year. Pretty much the last place to get a factory job in Miami County/Peru. With the prison, they built out by Grissom the city had to add a judge and courtroom. Lots of lawyers. Crime is pretty low considering. Most people here are nice and house prices pretty low. It is a blue collar, retired small local farmer (mainly their widowed wives), bedroom community. The biggest thing going for here is that it used to be winter quarters for many circuses. They have an all youth circus that performs once a year for a week and sort of a street fair at the same time. On the last day a large parade through Peru with circus wagons and a calliope and a few assorted animals. Then there is the Cole Porter festival. Peru is where he was born and grew up. They used to have Heritage days street fair but it fizzled after they moved it from downtown to the fairgrounds. Medical care you really have to look out of the county nothing much here. No real doctors here most rotate coming here with other rural towns seeing patients one or two days a week or month. Dukes is called a hospital but more of a glorified ER. Connected with a Lutheran hospital in Ft Wayne a couple of hours away. So if you really need a hospital that is where they will take you. Wabash is close with a slightly larger hospital and a few doctors with offices there.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:44 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1492 View Post
We who live here it is Peeroo not pronounce like the country Peru.
It's funny, I've heard that elsewhere. But I have family members, some who were born and died in Peru, several that still live there or in the surrounding area, including my dad and uncles and aunts. I've never heard any of them pronounce it Peeroo.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:13 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Been here forever. I'm sick of tired of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis