Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,273 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I currently live in Boston and I am thinking about moving to Indy (you may recognize my earlier post).

As I said, I'm a young professional looking for a city with a fairly active nightlife with a low cost of living - Indy seems to fit the bill! But I have not visited yet (although I will be in a few days).

I'm curious - what is your least favorite part about living in Indy?

Feel free to share your favorite parts as well if you wish!

Greatly appreciate your input!

thanks

Alex

Last edited by amd7239; 04-06-2019 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 08:08 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
City is too spread out and lacks robust transit.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:12 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
Look through the archives and you'll find plenty of moaning and groaning about Indianapolis. Mostly, I suspect, by people who left (if they ever lived here). My favorite was the girl who grew up here, bought a house here, and was upset because she couldn't ski here.

If you want to know if Raytheon is hiring, their job board should be the best place to find out.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 04-06-2019 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 06:35 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,371,509 times
TT makes a good point about logistical issues, however, that shouldn't be a big deal for someone from the Boston area, as it's pretty bread out as well, although the public transit is better for the most part.

Otherwise, you're not going to find a lot of differences between Boston and Indianapolis in the major subject areas. The weather is not significantly different, if anything, it's probably a bit better. You're farther from any major cities other than Chicago, unlike Boston. You don't have the beaches and ocean, if that matters. From a historical aspect there's nowhere near the cultural stuff that Boston has, but again, I don't see that being a big deal for most people.

I've lived in both areas and for the most part they're pretty comparable. Indianapolis will certainly be less expensive from a cost of living standpoint. And the place names are a lot easier to pronounce and decipher, too, without the heavy accent.

RM

Old 04-07-2019, 06:52 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
An acquaintance from Boston says Indianapolis is like Boston on Valium.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:41 PM

35,058 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Coming from Tennessee, the worst thing to me was the lack of quality outdoor recreation. It’s unfair to compare Indy to east TN and western NC in that regard, but it was kind of sad.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
TT makes a good point about logistical issues, however, that shouldn't be a big deal for someone from the Boston area, as it's pretty bread out as well, although the public transit is better for the most part.

Otherwise, you're not going to find a lot of differences between Boston and Indianapolis in the major subject areas. The weather is not significantly different, if anything, it's probably a bit better. You're farther from any major cities other than Chicago, unlike Boston. You don't have the beaches and ocean, if that matters. From a historical aspect there's nowhere near the cultural stuff that Boston has, but again, I don't see that being a big deal for most people.

I've lived in both areas and for the most part they're pretty comparable. Indianapolis will certainly be less expensive from a cost of living standpoint. And the place names are a lot easier to pronounce and decipher, too, without the heavy accent.

RM
hey Morton,

Appreciate your comment, good to know!

I agree Boston is spread out overall. But it also has some reasonable pockets that are crowded, certain blocks that are packed with bars, restaurants, etc. That is essentially all I'm looking for. Some areas like that.

Do you know if Indy has areas like that?

thanks

Alex

Last edited by amd7239; 04-08-2019 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: none

Old 04-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
An acquaintance from Boston says Indianapolis is like Boston on Valium.
hey Sheerbliss,

Ah I see - you mean it is more subdued...care to elaborate?

thanks

Alex

Last edited by amd7239; 04-08-2019 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: none

Old 04-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
City is too spread out and lacks robust transit.
hey Toxic Toast,

Hmm very interesting. That could certainly be an issue.

Area there ANY areas with good public transit (e.g. in the City Center?)

thanks

Alex

Last edited by amd7239; 04-08-2019 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: non

Old 04-08-2019, 02:50 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,371,509 times
Mass Ave. and Broadripple are the two areas that come to mind with lots of restaurants and entertainment venues in a concentrated area.

Not sure if you would want to live in close proximity to them, however, unless you're looking for urban living.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis