Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 3,359 times

Advertisements

We have this nasty neighbor, They have gone as far as throwing tomatoes at our truck (caught on video) Throwing glass solar bulbs in our backyard for our dogs, which one dog brought to us. Cussing us out multiple times, laying nails in the street for our cars. Now they park over our property line so that we can't park our cars on the side. We own several cars and need our space. We do not retaliate, we leave them alone. Our other neighbors have asked what is wrong with them, they just dislike people in general. THey have cussed out my neighbors who was even talking to us.
They leave their vehicle parked over our line for weeks and weeks as if to abandon it there to be in our way. Is there anything we can do?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Is it parked on the street or on your actual property. On the street, you have no recourse. If it's actually on your property put a warning letter on it--tell them to move it or you will have it towed since it is on your property.

Next time they throw stuff in your yard, if you do have video, call the police.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:20 AM

It's the street just to block us from using it for parking our cars. They have no other cars, they don't use their driveway or their other side, it's intentional. At times they park on the grass part so we can't mow correctly.
We have reported to the police what they have done to the vehicle, and they suggest we talk to them, but she just yells and screams calling us and other neighbors trash when we are just trying to mind our business. Other neighbors do not understand what her issue is. Of we talk to neighbors away from her, she starts screaming at all of us.
We understand we could actually park behind her as long as we do not block her mail box even if it is in front of her house but we avoid that. We have cameras on our house (how we caught them damaging our property)
If a vehicle sits on a street for so many days can it be towed?

Old 08-24-2019, 05:50 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianatlol View Post
It's the street just to block us from using it for parking our cars. They have no other cars, they don't use their driveway or their other side, it's intentional. At times they park on the grass part so we can't mow correctly.
We have reported to the police what they have done to the vehicle, and they suggest we talk to them, but she just yells and screams calling us and other neighbors trash when we are just trying to mind our business. Other neighbors do not understand what her issue is. Of we talk to neighbors away from her, she starts screaming at all of us.
We understand we could actually park behind her as long as we do not block her mail box even if it is in front of her house but we avoid that. We have cameras on our house (how we caught them damaging our property)
If a vehicle sits on a street for so many days can it be towed?
Whether or not it can be towed for sitting on the street depends on the regulations in your town or city. You cannot do this. The city/town would have to do so.

These are the rules for abandoned vehicles in Anderson: https://anderson.govoffice.com/index...D-7FF0CB535052
Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do if it's parked on a public street.

Last edited by rrah; 08-24-2019 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-24-2019, 05:53 AM

209 posts, read 417,554 times
The city might have an ordinance that covers cars sitting on the street. I would ask the police, or maybe they could tell you at the library. Check with the reference librarian. OTOH, I would think long & hard about calling the cops about a car that's been parked & not moved. That would REALLY pour gasoline on the fire if they towed it!

Whet ever you do I wish you luck.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:29 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Since it's on the street the city or county ordinances would be what determines where and when they can park. Check with the city and county to see if there are such ordinances in place. Where I live it's a county issue, and basically you can park all you want as long as you're not blocking a driveway or fire hydrant. If the car is clearly disabled or doesn't have a current registration, the county will cite the owner to have it removed within a fixed period of time, I believe it's 7 days where I live.

Look here, in Section 72:

https://www.cityofanderson.com/Docum...ic-Code?bidId=

RM

Old 08-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, I will read the links and book mark them. Looks like they can park there forever. I will call and see if there is anything they can do since we are all limited to space out here and they live on a corner and have monstrous amount of space and are just doing this to be sweethearts to neighbors. I would rather officials talk to them since they become belligerent to any and all neighbors who try and talk to them.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:02 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I would call your city code enforcement folks and speak with them. Explain the situation as calmly and rationally as possible, and see what they say. While your neighbors might not be breaking any municipal ordinances, a casual visit from a city official might cause them to knock it off.

RM

Old 08-26-2019, 06:09 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Throwing tomatoes at the car might pick them up a vandalism charge. A lot of the homes in inner Anderson don't have dedicated driveways so parking on the street is common.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:31 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianatlol View Post
We have this nasty neighbor, They have gone as far as throwing tomatoes at our truck (caught on video) Throwing glass solar bulbs in our backyard for our dogs, which one dog brought to us. Cussing us out multiple times, laying nails in the street for our cars. Now they park over our property line so that we can't park our cars on the side. We own several cars and need our space. We do not retaliate, we leave them alone. Our other neighbors have asked what is wrong with them, they just dislike people in general. THey have cussed out my neighbors who was even talking to us.
They leave their vehicle parked over our line for weeks and weeks as if to abandon it there to be in our way. Is there anything we can do?

Thanks,
You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of harrassment. If I was in your situation, I believe I would set up half a dozen or so security cameras that catches all the activity - both day and night - around your house and property including the street and your neighbors house and property, to capture your neighbor's antics on video and take the videos to the police station so they will have documented evidence.

I don't know all the legalities, but, if it was me, I know I would be very tempted to put the videos on YouTube for the whole world to see the kind of low-life people they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: