Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 06:36 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

The fact is Luck had to be at least toying with this idea for awhile. Retiring this soon before the season really doesn't give the team a chance to recover. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have retired, but the timing is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 08:46 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
The team was not honest about his condition either. Kept saying he was fine and his ankle was just sore. Make us all think he was fine to return. And its not like Luck had no idea of his condition the whole off-season. Unless something drastic changed for the worse in a few weeks, he owed it to the city and team to suck it up or retire much much earlier. The whole thing is a disaster.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Only problem I have is the timing. He should have given the Colts the off season to get a replacement. Otherwise it makes sense to me. He's already a millionaire many times over and already has a legacy of being elite when healthy. His family was already rich before he got to the NFL. Given how hard playing football is on the body I'm amazed this isn't more common.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Perhaps, just perhaps, some of those booing fans were booing the loss of Andrew Luck. Think about it. Did you fans cheer when he announced his retirement? I'd think not, and a case could be made that the opposite of cheering is booing. Just saying, some of those boos were probably the fans' way of saying they'll miss their quarterback... kind of an "OH NOOOOO!"

Old 08-27-2019, 03:09 AM

136 posts, read 211,024 times
Not giving more advance notice is just proof that he wanted to play so badly. Like a little kid who loves school and gets sick but doesn't say anything and goes to school anyway...just to get sent home by the school nurse. Glad he was able to do this before the start of the season and not in the middle of a game.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:30 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Perhaps, just perhaps, some of those booing fans were booing the loss of Andrew Luck. Think about it. Did you fans cheer when he announced his retirement? I'd think not, and a case could be made that the opposite of cheering is booing. Just saying, some of those boos were probably the fans' way of saying they'll miss their quarterback... kind of an "OH NOOOOO!"
Given all the reports of people burning his jersey, season ticket holders demanding a refund, and supposedly someone even slashed his tires, I highly doubt this is the case.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:08 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Given all the reports of people burning his jersey, season ticket holders demanding a refund, and supposedly someone even slashed his tires, I highly doubt this is the case.
Unbelievable. This decision is between Luck and the Colts and to be blunt, it is nobody else's business, including the fans.

I remember when Bobby Hull joined the Hartford Whalers at the end of his career. He could still play but it was obvious time was taking its toll on his game and body. He retired abruptly during the season but nobody got bent out of shape and reacted in this Manner. These Colts fans are some really twisted and immature people that can't handle the decision of a professional ball player to decide the best route for his personal and physical health for the future.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:40 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
If for nothing else, you have to respect the guy for calling it quits when he can. Look at all the aging players who didn't and finished out their careers doing poorly and/or getting injured even worse.

RM

Old 08-28-2019, 06:46 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Unbelievable. This decision is between Luck and the Colts and to be blunt, it is nobody else's business, including the fans.
People forget, they aren't just fans, they are paying customers. I've never been a fanboy of anything to any real extent. I can enjoy watching a game, following the news headlines, but I've just never been able to get behind pro-sports. It has to do with a bunch of grown adults playing games on teams owned by very wealthy people....and they are all getting taxpayer subsidies so they can obtain these massive salaries. These folks are the real welfare kings of society. Get a population to subsidized your workplace to the tune of hundreds of millions to billions and thus no reason to worry about slashing the payroll 50-75%.

The customers pay good money, on top of the taxes many of them pay that also help keep the business going along with the status quo. Then add in the intoxication levels of many who were in the stadium. I'd be ticked off if I was a season ticket holder. A local radio talk show host and his callers entertained the idea that this was a fraud. I'm not sure I can take it that far, but I do think that these businesses know just how bad things are long, long before such announcements are made.

At the same time, I also will state that this is another example of buyer beware. This business that is so beloved by many, to the point of fanaticism by some, ultimately is a business that is out there to make as much money as possible and will do whatever it can to keep revenues not only coming in, but up. Of course, being a sports business, all they really have to do for customer relations is have a competitive, winning team. All the fanatics know that only one team a year can win the super bowl. Indy fans are bandwagon fans. They just want a winning more than losing product and good playoff runs. Maybe not the playoffs every year, but the vast majority of them.

I can't blame Luck. When I read about the kidney issue, I would've called it quits right then.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:25 AM

39 posts, read 57,024 times
Wow....such a sad situation for the Colts fan base.

Andrew Luck is a stand-up guy who is set for life and chose to walk away from the game for the sake of his health and family. Might as well deal with it.

The progress from "Suck for Luck" (i.e., throwing an entire season to ensure a favorable draft position) to "Suck Without Luck" (a whole lot sooner than was ever expected) is a classic case of Karma.

Not to mention the team getting blown out in the playoffs a few years ago by 38 points in New England and then blaming their lopsided loss on underinflated footballs or some such BS. I mean, really? What mature NFL franchise reacts that way? Not this one...

Sorry!

Last edited by Mr. Sunshine; 09-15-2019 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: