Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 05:16 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,362 times

Advertisements

First a little about us. I am originally from Seattle, and my husband from the eastern shore of VA. He still has a few years left in the military, and we are debating where to settle once he is done with military life. With that being said, I really hate the Seattle area (we are currently back here and I am miserable)- the traffic, cost of housing, general cost of living etc. He does not want to go back to VA.

Being military, we have traveled all over the country. We own a beautiful home in Columbia, SC where we lived for three years. We originally thought we would likely retire there (not in that house, but I wouldn't mind going back there for a few years while looking for our forever home), but after a recent PCS from Hawaii, we both have decided that we would prefer somewhere that has seasons, most importantly not hot all the time. We loved our time in Columbia, not sure that is where we want to settle.

Our comfort levels as for as post military jobs for him are DFAS in Indy and Fort Jackson in SC. Both locations have told him on numerous occasions that they will have a job for him when he retires. A job in Indy would likely pay more than one in Columbia, and he will have at least another ~10+ years of working before he retires completely.

Has anyone lived in both areas? Can I get the pros and cons of Indy over Columbia? While we were in Columbia before, we did have snow twice, but boots and sweater weather never really happened. I kind of missed a cold winter, but having just left Seattle, I was thrilled with the 300 days per year of sunshine. Summers were hot and humid, but not sure how they compare to Indy.

What are commute times from the various nearby towns to 8899 E 56th? We will be looking for something no more than a 20 mile commute, in the $300-450k price range and don't want anything where the houses are too close together. No kids left at home, so schools are not a deal breaker for us.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 07:21 PM

174 posts, read 244,261 times
Never lived in Columbia, SC so I cannot do any comparison or help you in that regard. As for a few things to help with the location if you were to decide on Indy.

$350-450,000 will be able to buy you alot of home or land in this area. The Geist area could fit your bill and many of those homes would be very nice, access or nearby Geist Reservoir and about a 10 min commute (maybe 5 miles?) from Ft Harrison area. That's also an area where you'd be only 15-20 min commute and you could buy or build a house and have some land with it too in the Mt Vernon, New Palestine and others areas. Pendleton would be right around 20 miles and if you took 36 instead of 69 to work it wouldn't be terrible.

There are lots of great amenities in the Fishers, Carmel, etc area, but while they would be way less than 20 miles you are looking at a mess/headache of traffic depending on what areas of those communities you look at. I would probably stick to the Northeast/east side for commute reasons since he'll have to work 10+ years first. If less I'd encourage you to look at other parts of town too, but I know from my own experiences or co-workers that if you live on opposite side of town from where you work can add an extra 20 min or more to your commute during rush hour. Lately construction has been a nightmare on all the interstates so again it'd be well north of 20 min. 20 miles will get you alot of areas to consider living in, but again just look at what major roads you have to travel on to get to work.

Summers will be hot and humid in Indiana for sure. Compared to Columbia we do NOT get 300 days of sunshine. I think it's like 188 or something like that. It doesn't bother me as much, but others on this thread that have moved from other states can speak on it, but winter can be very overcast. So between less sunlight due to winter and gray skies being stuck indoors can be rough on many people. It's either too cold or too much snow for many people to get out. I love the 4 seasons too, but depending they can also play havoc on allergies. Don't know if that impacts you guys or not, but just something to think about too.

So in addition to knowing if you want to be in a neighborhood, how close to actual Indy downtown for it's activities or if you want to be on a little more land, I'd also ask if there is anything else you are into or amenities or needs you have. Hope that initially helps.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:00 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Has anyone lived in both areas? Can I get the pros and cons of Indy over Columbia? While we were in Columbia before, we did have snow twice, but boots and sweater weather never really happened. I kind of missed a cold winter, but having just left Seattle, I was thrilled with the 300 days per year of sunshine. Summers were hot and humid, but not sure how they compare to Indy.

What are commute times from the various nearby towns to 8899 E 56th? We will be looking for something no more than a 20 mile commute, in the $300-450k price range and don't want anything where the houses are too close together. No kids left at home, so schools are not a deal breaker for us.
At your price point, you basically could live anywhere in the metro area and have a decent house. You could get an older home in a much sought after urban or suburban area, or a newer custom built home in a neighborhood setting. Also, while schools might not be an issue for you with directly, keep in mind that a negative trending school district could cause your housing value to drop as the years go by. The area in which DFAS is located, Lawrence Indiana, is served by Lawrence Township schools. I know people who went there decades ago and they all did OK. Lots of kids do OK in that district, but on the southern side of the township is a lot of lower income areas and some folks have recently said they aren't sure the direction of the district. A lot of the higher end home up on the north side of the township (say 75th Street to 96th Street) have folks that likely have enough money to send their kids to private school. I know a family that recently moved back to Indy and they used to live in Fishers but moved a few miles north of where DFAS is located. The thing is, their kids go to private school, so public schools aren't an issue for them. If the schools trend negative, more of the money people will either move or just opt to send their kids to private schools. Just something to keep in mind.

Since schools don't matter directly, you could always spend on the lower side of your range and pick anywhere to live. Urban living in Meridian-Kessler, Butler-Tarkington, or Broad Ripple. Fountain Square is more of a "downtown" neighborhood, and there are a lot of downtown neighborhoods as well if you wanted that style of living. Hamilton County to the north is the upper income county, at least the southern 2/3rds. You could also consider the Fortville and McCordsville area in northern Hancock County. A little bit further out is Pendleton. One would take US-36/SR-67/Pendleton Pike to 56th Street from these towns to get to DFAS. New Palestine in the SW corner of Hancock County is also a good option. It is the higher end area of Hancock County. You should also check out the Cumberland area, but I'd suggest buying on the Hancock County side. Cumberland is a small town that is in both Marion and Hancock County. They have annexed recently. They are located off the national road (US 40/Washington Street) but have annexed neighborhoods on the Hancock County side all the way up to I-70. There is also a lot of unincorporated land around all these Hancock County and SW Madison County municipalities.

Commute times will depend on work hours. Say a non-rush hour commute time is 30 minutes. During rush hour, that drive could be 50-70 minutes depending on traffic. There is no way around this. For example, there is a stop light in the town of McCordsville. Traffic backs up horribly during rush hour. This is the downside of living in suburban areas that haven't widen roads due to numerous factors.

Wanted to add that the weather here is hit or miss. Winters are traditionally not horrible, but they can be. If you work inside, it isn't that much of an issue. However, most people don't care to venture out in the winter during those really bitter cold days. Just something to be aware of.

Last edited by indy_317; 09-30-2019 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Weather comment

Old 09-30-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
Never lived in Columbia, SC so I cannot do any comparison or help you in that regard. As for a few things to help with the location if you were to decide on Indy.

$350-450,000 will be able to buy you alot of home or land in this area. The Geist area could fit your bill and many of those homes would be very nice, access or nearby Geist Reservoir and about a 10 min commute (maybe 5 miles?) from Ft Harrison area. That's also an area where you'd be only 15-20 min commute and you could buy or build a house and have some land with it too in the Mt Vernon, New Palestine and others areas. Pendleton would be right around 20 miles and if you took 36 instead of 69 to work it wouldn't be terrible.

There are lots of great amenities in the Fishers, Carmel, etc area, but while they would be way less than 20 miles you are looking at a mess/headache of traffic depending on what areas of those communities you look at. I would probably stick to the Northeast/east side for commute reasons since he'll have to work 10+ years first. If less I'd encourage you to look at other parts of town too, but I know from my own experiences or co-workers that if you live on opposite side of town from where you work can add an extra 20 min or more to your commute during rush hour. Lately construction has been a nightmare on all the interstates so again it'd be well north of 20 min. 20 miles will get you alot of areas to consider living in, but again just look at what major roads you have to travel on to get to work.

Summers will be hot and humid in Indiana for sure. Compared to Columbia we do NOT get 300 days of sunshine. I think it's like 188 or something like that. It doesn't bother me as much, but others on this thread that have moved from other states can speak on it, but winter can be very overcast. So between less sunlight due to winter and gray skies being stuck indoors can be rough on many people. It's either too cold or too much snow for many people to get out. I love the 4 seasons too, but depending they can also play havoc on allergies. Don't know if that impacts you guys or not, but just something to think about too.

So in addition to knowing if you want to be in a neighborhood, how close to actual Indy downtown for it's activities or if you want to be on a little more land, I'd also ask if there is anything else you are into or amenities or needs you have. Hope that initially helps.
Thank you so much! Very helpful. I think we would both like a bigger lot, preferably with some trees or on a golf course/water would be nice. We don't want a lot of commuter traffic or be in a place where everything is super busy on the weekends, but we would like to be close ~10-15 minutes from restaurants, movie theaters, shopping etc.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
At your price point, you basically could live anywhere in the metro area and have a decent house. You could get an older home in a much sought after urban or suburban area, or a newer custom built home in a neighborhood setting. Also, while schools might not be an issue for you with directly, keep in mind that a negative trending school district could cause your housing value to drop as the years go by. The area in which DFAS is located, Lawrence Indiana, is served by Lawrence Township schools. I know people who went there decades ago and they all did OK. Lots of kids do OK in that district, but on the southern side of the township is a lot of lower income areas and some folks have recently said they aren't sure the direction of the district. A lot of the higher end home up on the north side of the township (say 75th Street to 96th Street) have folks that likely have enough money to send their kids to private school. I know a family that recently moved back to Indy and they used to live in Fishers but moved a few miles north of where DFAS is located. The thing is, their kids go to private school, so public schools aren't an issue for them. If the schools trend negative, more of the money people will either move or just opt to send their kids to private schools. Just something to keep in mind.

Since schools don't matter directly, you could always spend on the lower side of your range and pick anywhere to live. Urban living in Meridian-Kessler, Butler-Tarkington, or Broad Ripple. Fountain Square is more of a "downtown" neighborhood, and there are a lot of downtown neighborhoods as well if you wanted that style of living. Hamilton County to the north is the upper income county, at least the southern 2/3rds. You could also consider the Fortville and McCordsville area in northern Hancock County. A little bit further out is Pendleton. One would take US-36/SR-67/Pendleton Pike to 56th Street from these towns to get to DFAS. New Palestine in the SW corner of Hancock County is also a good option. It is the higher end area of Hancock County. You should also check out the Cumberland area, but I'd suggest buying on the Hancock County side. Cumberland is a small town that is in both Marion and Hancock County. They have annexed recently. They are located off the national road (US 40/Washington Street) but have annexed neighborhoods on the Hancock County side all the way up to I-70. There is also a lot of unincorporated land around all these Hancock County and SW Madison County municipalities.

Commute times will depend on work hours. Say a non-rush hour commute time is 30 minutes. During rush hour, that drive could be 50-70 minutes depending on traffic. There is no way around this. For example, there is a stop light in the town of McCordsville. Traffic backs up horribly during rush hour. This is the downside of living in suburban areas that haven't widen roads due to numerous factors.

Wanted to add that the weather here is hit or miss. Winters are traditionally not horrible, but they can be. If you work inside, it isn't that much of an issue. However, most people don't care to venture out in the winter during those really bitter cold days. Just something to be aware of.
Thank you for the info! I don't think we want to be anywhere urban, but not in the sticks either! Preferably a larger lot that has some trees and privacy. My husband would work at DFAS indoors and by that time I will be retired, so not worried about harsh winters. I will check out the areas you mentioned.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:40 PM

89 posts, read 113,566 times
Quote:
First a little about us. I am originally from Seattle, and my husband from the eastern shore of VA. He still has a few years left in the military, and we are debating where to settle once he is done with military life. With that being said, I really hate the Seattle area (we are currently back here and I am miserable)- the traffic, cost of housing, general cost of living etc. He does not want to go back to VA.

Being military, we have traveled all over the country. We own a beautiful home in Columbia, SC where we lived for three years. We originally thought we would likely retire there (not in that house, but I wouldn't mind going back there for a few years while looking for our forever home), but after a recent PCS from Hawaii, we both have decided that we would prefer somewhere that has seasons, most importantly not hot all the time. We loved our time in Columbia, not sure that is where we want to settle.

Our comfort levels as for as post military jobs for him are DFAS in Indy and Fort Jackson in SC. Both locations have told him on numerous occasions that they will have a job for him when he retires. A job in Indy would likely pay more than one in Columbia, and he will have at least another ~10+ years of working before he retires completely.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I will be retiring from the Marines this Summer. I looked all over the US for 5 years before I settled on Indiana. I just got back from a trip to check out the home I'm currently buying. I loved every thing about it. We visited the High School and we talked to the people. No traffic nice people and affordability. I'm getting a 5k sq foot home for $375k in the nice part of town.

There are plenty of jobs depending on what you want to Do.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
I will be retiring from the Marines this Summer. I looked all over the US for 5 years before I settled on Indiana. I just got back from a trip to check out the home I'm currently buying. I loved every thing about it. We visited the High School and we talked to the people. No traffic nice people and affordability. I'm getting a 5k sq foot home for $375k in the nice part of town.

There are plenty of jobs depending on what you want to Do.
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and best wishes on the next chapter!

Old 01-05-2020, 07:48 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Even though you don't want houses "too close together" you might take a look at the Del Webb community in Fishers. If I were in your position that's where I'd want to be.
I never lived in Columbia but know many who have served at Fort Jackson. Just them describing the horrible humidity there made me cringe. Indiana can get hot in the summer but not like that.
We retired and moved south for three years. Love the four seasons. I personally like the Midwest and overall friendliness of the Midwesterners. I'm originally from Pittsburgh.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:48 PM

89 posts, read 113,566 times
Quote:
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and best wishes on the next chapter!

Thank you so much, I got to my home Friday to move some stuff here. I love love it here everyone is so nice. I got a mansion I have a 1acre lake 4500sf home a 1600 sq basement. And I only paid 375k. I haft to go back to Pendleton Wednesday I dont want to go back. I really don't

Old 01-06-2020, 08:39 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
In the 1990s United Airlines moved it's western maintenance facility to Indy from San Francisco. Workers sold their tiny homes in Frisco and had to buy BIG here to avoid paying capital gains. Then, United to bring them back to the west coast. I will be they lost their butts on the sale of their huge houses here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis