Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 08:54 AM

28 posts, read 53,858 times

Advertisements

Helping a friend research apartments near new job opportunity located near Castleton area in Indy and we need to narrow down a place to live pretty quickly. Thinking of safety, convenience to work, decent place to live within a budget of ~1K/mon, although less would be preferable, hopefully with covered parking or garage situation for the brutal winter as major factors. Laundry in unit is important.

He's a 30 something professional single guy, no pets, likes to hang out with friends but not really into the bar scene. Would like to meet friends and be in a fun community convenient to restaurants and things to do, a 1 bedroom will do, but not interested in continual maintenance issues as so many reviews of places seem to indicate.

1. Castle Creek Apartments

2. River Ridge at Keystone Apartments

3. Lake Clearwater Apartments

4. River Crossing Apartments

5. Avery Point Apartments

What is the general opinion here about Lakeshore apartments? The Metropolitan at Fishers?

Any others I'm missing in this general area? Any property management companies that shine in Indy? Any that we need to beware??? Sometimes its just as important to know where/who to avoid, lol. Thanks in advance. We are planning to take a trip to check it all out with boots on the ground in the next 10 days and I need to have 3-4 appointments set before we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 12:09 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
I live in Lakeshore. They are just okay, and the people that lived there are pretty mixed. Everyone is to themselves. The further east you get in castleton the sketchier it gets. River crossing is a party complex with a lot of younger people. I would just read the reviews on google.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Thanks so much Berteau. I saw a sublet in Lakeshore and the location is pretty convenient to the workplace. Do they require a full 12 month lease there? And, yes, I am reading allllll the reviews.

Good to know about River Crossing, that one is on the list to view.

I scratched Avery Point, and added North Haven of Carmel and The Quarry North, but it looks a little $$ to me, wonder if those 2 are worth the $.

The Retreat at Carmel looks fabulous, but nothing available, Sunrise on the Monon is evidently their sister property, but I am not sure about the traffic from that location. Commute time is a factor and I heard there is road construction nearby.

Any others that might offer short term corporate leases that you know in that area? Thanks for your comments.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:52 PM

158 posts, read 175,334 times
Definitely cross Avery Point off your list.

Lived in Castle Creek 10 years ago. They are an upscale apt, I enjoyed living there. Crime wise it's decent in the area. Close to the Castleton Mall and lots of restaurants. Would be a short commute.

North Haven- Definitely check these out. Just off 96th street, in a quiet setting but only blocks from several restaurants. Very safe area. Easy commute into Castleton and can go the other direction into Carmel.

Quarry North - New, upscale apt next to the Fashion Mall (Indy's upscale mall). I have driven by them and seen their website. Very nice, upscale but would guess that their beyond your friends budget. Lots of shopping and restaurants only blocks away. In a busy area however vs North Haven which is quiet around the complex. A little more of a drive to Castleton but doable.

Lake Clearwater - A few blocks from the Fashion Mall in the Clearwater Crossing area (nice area). Literally next door to some good restaurant options and shopping. The apartments are nice, safe apts but you don't get the upscale features. Also will be busy around the complex with the rest and shopping. Easy commute into Castleton.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:59 PM

The Retreat at Carmel is worth checking out if they have an opening. Quiet and clean complex. Have townhouses that you can buy in the complex as well. Have a lot of long time residents there. Don't have the "upscale" features you get in some of the newer complexes. Have garages underneath the apt. Would be the longest commute. Central location to Carmel, Nora and Castleton.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:07 PM

Thanks Masters1 for the help!

Castle Creek is definitely the closest to the office, and looks like it would suit. I think Lake Clearwater and Castle Creek are managed by the same company, and I like the size of the Clearwater layout, they have 2 sinks in the bathroom, which is a plus in my book. I think he could be happy in either of those.

North Haven is our third appointment and I have good vibes there too.

River Ridge has a lovely recently updated unit that might be a possibility. And the property manager was helpful on the phone.

By far, Beth at The Retreat at Carmel was great on the phone, however, they have a PAID waiting list for a 1 bedroom, and with that attached garage for every unit, I doubt they get many openings there. Looks like a posh place to hang your hat.

Can you shed some light on the best position of an apartment in the cold tundra of Indy? I mean, here in the good ole south, we like the ground floor for the convenience which is the first inclination, but what is the northern perspective on orientation and is the 2nd floor an advantage? Heck, with our current situation, he will be happy with whatever is available, but if you had your pick....what would you choose? Ground floor, middle on the 2nd floor, or the 3rd floor to avoid having a neighbor stomping on the ceiling? lol, its been a long time since he's been an apartment dweller.

We leave for Indy on Thursday night to stomp through all these places....please hold off on the rain and snow until we finish all the touring of the apartments, lol. I'm watching the weather and bringing my rain boots, YIKES!

Old 11-19-2019, 05:07 PM

Safe travels to you. Indy is a great city to live in with nice people, affordable cost of living and lots to do.

2nd and 3rd floor: Heat rises so it will be warmer the higher you go. Cost of apts is less the higher you go. It's also safer and if on the top floor, you don't have to listen to someone above you. But lugging those groceries up flights of stairs can get old.

1st floor: Cooler, most expensive option, more susceptible to crime and bugs. But...much more convenient.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:22 PM

I'm not that familiar with River Ridge other than driving by them. They are a few blocks from North Haven and just up the street from the Fashion Mall. It's a nice area. If affordable they might be a good option as well. Next to several restaurant options on 96th street.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:02 AM

One last thought. Does anybody here know of short term corporate housing or any type of sublet in the same general area? It might be good to test the water before jumping into a long term lease situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis