Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 07:26 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be buying a house this spring in Fishers. I want to have close highway access and be as close to 465 as possible, so nothing north of 126th st. A lot of places I've been looking at have been around 96th st. Is this a good area to buy, or should I go farther north? I know that 96 is close to Castleton, which can be shady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 09:01 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
96th St is the border between Fishers and Indianapolis. I don't think there's anything shady about that area but traffic is heavy. 96th St itself has a lot of traffic and the most congested part of I-69 is usually southbound between 96th St and 465. That's as close to 465 as you can be and still technically be in Fishers. The farther you get from I-69, the nicer the areas. But I'd probably go farther north and look around 106th St. The exit from I-69 isn't near as congested as 96th St or 116th St and unlike 96th where you typically have to go quite a ways from the highway exit to get to the nearest neighborhoods, 106th St has neighborhoods almost right there.

How far is too far from 465? I live close to 141st St and SR 37. I can usually be to 465 in 8 minutes, even less if you hit the stoplights right but in 3 years, those lights on 37 will all be gone.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:04 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
96th St is the border between Fishers and Indianapolis. I don't think there's anything shady about that area but traffic is heavy. 96th St itself has a lot of traffic and the most congested part of I-69 is usually southbound between 96th St and 465. That's as close to 465 as you can be and still technically be in Fishers. The farther you get from I-69, the nicer the areas. But I'd probably go farther north and look around 106th St. The exit from I-69 isn't near as congested as 96th St or 116th St and unlike 96th where you typically have to go quite a ways from the highway exit to get to the nearest neighborhoods, 106th St has neighborhoods almost right there.

How far is too far from 465? I live close to 141st St and SR 37. I can usually be to 465 in 8 minutes, even less if you hit the stoplights right but in 3 years, those lights on 37 will all be gone.
Really? I didn't know you could get to 465 that fast from that far north.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Really? I didn't know you could get to 465 that fast from that far north.
It really depends on how you hit the lights on 37. The biggest time killer would be how far off 37 you are. But where 37 spits you onto I-69 it's just 5 minutes to 465. From our house it's about 8-10 minutes to 465 via 37 to 69 with 2-3 of those minutes just getting to 37. Again, in 3 years when 37 is all interchanges it will get even faster because the annoying stoplights will be gone from both 37 and the cross streets.

These times are non-rush hour, though, so keep that in mind. 37 right now is a huge pain northbound in the afternoon exiting 69. And southbound 69 tends to jam up between 96th and 465 both morning and evening rush hour. Once the 37 project is done, it shouldn't jam up anymore during rush hour. But 69 south will continue to be a problem until the I-69/465 interchange is redone. They plan to redo it but I think it will be after the 37 project is finished.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:11 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
If you are worried about "shady," you won't be 100% safe anywhere in the greater metro area. People from poor areas in Indy are driving to Kokomo, Greenfield, Noblesville, Bloomington, etc. to commit crime. Property crime is out-of-control all over the country. Basically, until petty thieves start robbing people, they will never do any real time. There is a Best Buy in Noblesville where four or five teens robbed a handful of people in the parking lot. Just prior to that, three women drove all the way to Kokomo to commit brazen shoplifting and ended up in a pursuit. A lot of shoplifters are now using pepper spray when they are confronted.

You will want a house alarm system no matter what. You can either self-monitor or pay for something like ADT. I even recommend a serious in-home safe, bolted to walls and floors for stuff you absolutely don't want taken in a quick smash-and-grab.

Anything north of 96th Street will be fine. One thing I read on-line, when Castleton was having their issues with unsupervised teens at the mall, was that some of the complexes near the area of 96th Street and Allisonville had started taking low income housing vouchers. At one complex, on the Hamilton County side, a person was shot and said to be not speaking to the police. That usually indicates some sort of illicit dealing gone bad. The shooting was a handful of years ago and I haven't read anything negative about the area since then. It is possible if housing demand went up, those complexes were able to take a pass on HUD funding and instead just rented out to higher income people. That might explain a displacement of serious crimes in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis