Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I wonder if I just keep seeing the same car or two with Colorado plates. It's possible since I think it's on my drive to/from work that I typically see it. Granted, it's not like a weekly thing, just something I know has stuck out at me being so far from there.
There's a person with a Colorado license plate that just bought a house in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 10:29 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing a lot of people don't know is that a lot of people from Middle Tennessee and Kentucky went north to Indiana for automotive jobs in these towns a generation or so ago. My ex-girlfriend was from Anderson, and her family were all from central Tennessee. They moved to Anderson for work back in the 60s/70s.
That makes a lot of sense. That is where some of the southern vibes come from. One of my friends owns several apartments in downtown Indy. He grew up in Lafayette but his parents worked in manufacturing before he was born. They moved from Tazewell, TN.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:22 AM

174 posts, read 244,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That makes a lot of sense. That is where some of the southern vibes come from. One of my friends owns several apartments in downtown Indy. He grew up in Lafayette but his parents worked in manufacturing before he was born. They moved from Tazewell, TN.
If you actually look into Fountain Square's history (just southeast of downtown, but research online or at their branch of the MC Public Library there is very detailed history on how they were founded) corroborates this as well. Initially Irish and Germans settled there, but I think it was around WWII era the two cases that Shakeesha and Serious Conversation are true. Many people from the Appalachia areas and Kentucky and Tennessee moved to that area. One of my University of Indianapolis professors grew up in the area and we talked at length about the area historically, but that's how his family arrived up from Tennessee was for jobs in those factories.

As I mentioned in another post, the Southside of Indy gets the stereotype of a "Redneck" feel. I like the way you put it better with less negative connotation of Southern Vibe for that area though, but that's probably a good explanation of why.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:45 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
The Southside was also previously populated prior to WWII by a large contingent of German immigrants, most of which settled around the area of Epler and Thompson roads. Many of the small “truck farms” and greenhouses in this area were started by these immigrants. There was a large enough community to have venues like German Park created for social events.

This is farther out from the city than Fountain Square, but my point is that there are a number of different groups of people who populated this area, making it pretty diverse.

I’ve mentioned it here before, but it never ceases to amaze me that the area I grew up in, around many of these folks, remains pretty much unchanged 40-50 years later. It’s a very stable area that’s been largely unaffected by any sort of gentrification.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis