Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 AM

54 posts, read 267,836 times

Advertisements

I need help!
My husband, kids and I are looking to relocate in a few years from Northern California. We want to live somewhere affordable and have a yard. He makes great money here (7000-8000/mo), but we're in an apartment, paying $2000/ month>rediculous + utilities and everything else it's about $2350.
Anyway, I saw we could get a nice house in Carmel/Zionsville, etc for $200-250K. So affordable. The area we are in now, the same house would be 750K-850K. It's insane and depressing.
Right now he's kinda working on his own, so he's making more money than he would working for a company. The companies around here pay about $30-$35 and hour for good trim work/job manager for small remodels.
Just wondering, I didn't see a lot of Craigs list jobs. Do you guys use Craigslist or is there another great place to find jobs? Also, IS there any work for him? How's the economy as far as people remodeling their homes?
I could use ANY advice, even on where the nicest place is to live with our small children. We were looking at Zionsville, Carmel, etc. I like a town that is not all strip malls. Sidewalks, downtown areas and parks are really important to us!
We probably wouldn't go out there for another 2-4 years, but I want to do a lot of research before leaving beautiful/expensive California.
Thanks for ANY advice that anyone can give me!!
Also, I teach piano in the afternoons after hubby comes home. I charge $25/30 minutes. How much do music teachers charge over there?
It's a great way for a stay at home mom to make some extra money!!
By the way, we're from Western New York and we miss the seasons, but we don't miss ALL The snow Buffalo has to offer. Indiana seems safe, nice, affordable and friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 AM

682 posts, read 1,630,511 times
He will make alot less here, but then expenses will be alot less.A carpenter makes about 35-40K a year and electrician maybe 50. If he is just a worker bee type construction guy He's only going to make about 30K and its seasonal. 30-40K a year is a realistic number but residential contruction remodel is slow right now. Those figures are employment statistic figures I found on line for Indianapolis.If he works on large scale commercial stuff he wont have a big problem finding work. I deal alot with remodeling/restoration contractors here and I can tell you they dont pay their guys much. If he wants to go out on his own and gets a contractors liscense and does good work he will do OK here. There is a demand for people who can do quality work. Indianapolis is a great place to live. I was in California for years and you will like it here. The pace is ALOT slower but there is plenty to do. Good luck

Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM

Default Thanks, more questions...

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. He would be getting his licence there also. Of course, moving somewhere where we don't know anyone would be a little tricky as far as getting a business going. It won't be for a few more years anyway.
I was diong a home search and although there are a lot of very affordable homes, there seem to be a ton of mansions. Don't those excessively rich people pay their contractors good money? Here in Nor Cal they pay good contractors very well. He charges $100/hr for electrical and $65 /hr for trim/remodel/custom work. Is it about half that in Indiana or a little more? We used to live in Buffalo, NY and the cost of living was REALLY low, so there was no work bcs the economy was terrible. I'm sure Indiana has a decent economy, right? People do remodels a lot or no?
Thanks so much for your reply, I'm really trying to get the lay of the land.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Have you thought about possibly going into the Meridian Kessler/Irvington/Broad Ripple areas of Indianapolis? Lots of rehabs there ... the only issue there is schools. You'd probably need to go private.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanks, I haven't looked into that. I do want to live in a really safe area bcs I have kids and I'm very protective. Is it ghetto? Sorry, blunt, I know.
Thanks Domergirl!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Not ghetto at all!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 PM

682 posts, read 1,630,511 times
Alot of those mansions if you are referring to downtown and Meridian Kessler didnt cost that much just a few years ago. Alot of those people were Middle class families who bought at the right time. There is still alot of restoration work going on but most downtown areas are restored now and the work is now in the near downtown neighborhoods. People are here, how can I say it politely. "frugal" when it comes to paying for work. He is not going to get anywhere near those rates here. To put it in perspective I had a new 200 amp box upgrade, wiring hookup/sort 40 circuit, new weatherhead with disconnect, and meter base installed for 1800.00 including parts from a liscened contractor with an assistant and they of course pulled the permit. So that should give you an idea and he wasnt the lowest bid. There are guys doing custom trim work making 20 bucks an hour. There is a reason why Indiana is so reasonable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis