Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 9,656 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are trying to research some areas for possible relocation.

Indianapolis is one area under consideration.

I've done a Monster dot com search for jobs and Indy seems to have enough jobs in my field (accounting asst., clerk, accts rec/pay) that pay almost the same or a little less than what I earn here in Tampa, FL ($38K.) My husband is a manufacturer's rep (window/door company) and his base pay is in the mid $40s with bonuses, a company car, company cell, free gas and travel expenses reimbursed 100%. We both have college degrees (2 yr for me, BS for husband.)

We have two small kids and childcare costs in Tampa run us a little over $1,000/month.

I'm trying get a feel of the Indy area and find out if we could realistically land jobs there within a short period of time.

We'd like to visit Indy for a week, go on interviews (land temp jobs if necessary) and rent an apt or townhome until perm jobs were found. Then we'd buy a home. Our oldest daughter starts 1st grade this fall, so we want to make our move FAST. FL just isn't for us and we don't want to raise our children here.

I've also searched Indy homes and is it too good to be true? You can buy a 2,200 s.f. home for less than $150K??? And, taxes will only be 1 or 1.5% of the taxable value???

The Tampa market is still overpriced in our current soft market. A 2,200 s.f. home with a caged pool in a decent neighborhood with "okay" schools would run us about $300K+ with painful taxes.

Been reading a few comments about Indy traffic and I'm guessing it would be nothing compared to the traffic in Tampa; though, NY'ers and Chicago people always think Tampa's traffic is nothing.

Not sure what to think about the crime comments. Tampa has its fair share of crime, mostly in the undesireable areas though. We probably have more traffic accidents with fatalities than anything else. Homeless? I see them everyday driving home from work; they're on corners and medians with signs and sleep on benches on the avenues.

Any insight to offer? Any former Tampans in Indy now?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Utilities?

ps...

What are the rates on the following with say... "average" usage for the month in a 2,000 s.f. home?

Phone (no LD usage...we'd use our cells)
Internet
Regular cable
Electric
Gas??? We're all electric in Tampa, but Indy probably has gas cooking and hot water, right?
Water and trash
Anything else?

Anyone have info on childcare costs? Before/after school care for the 1st grader and we'd need summer camp for summer vaca. Full time preschool for the 19 month old.

Thanks again for any help.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,726,158 times
It's true, you can get a home over 2000 sq feet for under $150,000, and property taxes are going to be capped at 1% in 2010.

My daycare for 2 kids is $215 per week, I have a first grader and a 4 year old. The schools are great. I'm actually in a western suburb called Avon. My kids go to a daycare that has a great summer program for the school-aged kids where they go on field trips almost every day like the Children's Museum, Zoo, movies, parks, restaurants, even to the Indy Speedway!

Average bills:
Cell, we use Verizon Wireless, I assume their costs are pretty much the same no matter where you live.
Internet is through AT&T as is our home phone. We pay about $100 for DSL Wireless internet, and unlimited local and long distance.
I have DirecTV so I don't know who much regular cable is, I pay about $67 I think.
Electric varies of course, a recent bill for my 2300 sq. ft. house was about $65
Gas, we are on a budget bill, and we run about $105 per month. We use budget billing so it averages out our costs over the whole year and then we don't get super-high bills in the winter when we use more gas because of our gas furnace.
Water is about $10-15 per month for my family of 4
Trash, we pay 40 per quarter.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
It's true, you can get a home over 2000 sq feet for under $150,000, and property taxes are going to be capped at 1% in 2010.

My daycare for 2 kids is $215 per week, I have a first grader and a 4 year old. The schools are great. I'm actually in a western suburb called Avon. My kids go to a daycare that has a great summer program for the school-aged kids where they go on field trips almost every day like the Children's Museum, Zoo, movies, parks, restaurants, even to the Indy Speedway!

Average bills:
Cell, we use Verizon Wireless, I assume their costs are pretty much the same no matter where you live.
Internet is through AT&T as is our home phone. We pay about $100 for DSL Wireless internet, and unlimited local and long distance.
I have DirecTV so I don't know who much regular cable is, I pay about $67 I think.
Electric varies of course, a recent bill for my 2300 sq. ft. house was about $65
Gas, we are on a budget bill, and we run about $105 per month. We use budget billing so it averages out our costs over the whole year and then we don't get super-high bills in the winter when we use more gas because of our gas furnace.
Water is about $10-15 per month for my family of 4
Trash, we pay 40 per quarter.
Hi MikiJayne...thanks for writing and offering the info. I took a peek at your home listings. What kind of an area is the MLS 2762001 home in? That's pretty much the type of home we're looking for...and, some breathing room between the homes is a must. Doesn't have to be brand new, but newer would be nice so we don't have to gut and upgrade ourselves. Just no time! I realize caged pools just aren't common up there, but do most subdivs allow inground pools to be installed or at least a very large above ground with a custom wrap around deck?

We'd like a safe, family oriented neighborhood with well maintained homes and lawns. Good schools are a MUST. An area that has a country feel to it would be nice, but without actually being in a rural area. I still need city access.

Any opinions on the job market there? Who are the major recruiting firms for accounting and sales rep careers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis