Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 02:35 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,518 times

Advertisements

Unable to attend the annual Pierogi Festival in Whiting Indiana this past weekend I Googled "Pierogis in Indianapolis". To my surprise I found that a downtown church sells them! Like many churches in the Pittsburgh area where I grew up church members make them in fund raising efforts.
Even better after placing an order we were told that the church will be selling them on Tuesdays at the Farmers' Market in SOUTHPORT! I picked ours up there. The pierogies and the Slovak pastries they had are beautiful. Guess what we are having for dinner!
To those who have no idea what I'm writing about here: https://www.google.com/search?source...31.5polu3UqTBU

They sell them in other markets around town too.
St. Athanasius the Great Byzantine Catholic Church, 1117 Blaine Ave. Indianapolis IN 46221, 317-632-4157
saindy.com (check out "baked goods")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 08:53 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,375 times
Yep, they sell them at the Carmel Farmer's Market on Saturdays as well.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:07 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I didn't notice this post originally. OP, if you're up in the NWI area and want some sausage to go with the pierogies, go to Misch Bros. in Calumet City. There were only a couple places my Polish grandmother would get sausage. Misch's is one of them. The other closed. They also sell pierogies and some other good stuff.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I didn't notice this post originally. OP, if you're up in the NWI area and want some sausage to go with the pierogies, go to Misch Bros. in Calumet City. There were only a couple places my Polish grandmother would get sausage. Misch's is one of them. The other closed. They also sell pierogies and some other good stuff.
Have you tried: Claus' German Sausage and Meat Market

Old 08-24-2019, 05:06 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard about it, but I've not tried it. Although similar, I personally don't care for most German sausages--brats being the exception. I think it's because I'm expecting it to taste a certain way and it's slightly different.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:27 AM

For you pierogi lovers: You've got to try the sweet cheese pierogis! They ARE wonderful!

Old 11-09-2019, 11:48 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,610,521 times
What is/are pierogis and how do you pronounce it? I never have heard of it/them before.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:52 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
What is/are pierogis and how do you pronounce it? I never have heard of it/them before.
Often referred to as a "Polish dumpling":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

A traditional pierogie is made with potato filling and served with sour cream on the side if it's not incorporated into the filling. Excellent with duck blood soup!

Good friend is a direct relative (nephew) of "Mrs. T" who markets a line of pierogies you'll see in your freezer section at the grocery store. The "T" stands for Twardzik, the family name. Pretty good stuff if you don't want to make your own.

RM

Old 11-10-2019, 03:10 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Often referred to as a "Polish dumpling":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

A traditional pierogie is made with potato filling and served with sour cream on the side if it's not incorporated into the filling. Excellent with duck blood soup!

Good friend is a direct relative (nephew) of "Mrs. T" who markets a line of pierogies you'll see in your freezer section at the grocery store. The "T" stands for Twardzik, the family name. Pretty good stuff if you don't want to make your own.

RM
I wonder if that's the same as potato patties? Whenever we had left over mashed potatos, my mom (and both grandmas) would take a handful of mashed potatos and roll them into about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch patty, dip it in a beated up egg and coat it in flour that's been salted and peppered, and put it in the skillet and fry it over medium heat in bacon grease until it turns a crispy golden-brown. You could put sour cream on it if you want, but I always used butter. That's what we called potato patties and is one of my all time favorite left-over comfort food delicacies. And it's good at any meal, breakfast, dinner or supper.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:22 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I wonder if that's the same as potato patties? Whenever we had left over mashed potatos, my mom (and both grandmas) would take a handful of mashed potatos and roll them into about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch patty, dip it in a beated up egg and coat it in flour that's been salted and peppered, and put it in the skillet and fry it over medium heat in bacon grease until it turns a crispy golden-brown. You could put sour cream on it if you want, but I always used butter. That's what we called potato patties and is one of my all time favorite left-over comfort food delicacies. And it's good at any meal, breakfast, dinner or supper.
No.

Pirogies are made with a thin dough, like a pie crust sort of, cut into a circle. The filling is then added and the dough folded over onto itself, making the finished pierogie a semicircle shape. They're boiled at that point, often in broth os some sort to add flavor, then served hot with a side of sour cream.

So there's a dough or "crust" with a filing inside of it, rather than it being a homogenous sort of thing.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis