Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 1,179 times

Advertisements

Hello there!
My 21 year old daughter is moving to Indianapolis to attend graduate school at IUPUI this fall. We are looking for affordable, safe areas for her to live, near the city. She is on a limited budget so can pay only about $750-800 a month and would like her own apartment. She is finding some apartments in Old Northside, near the Cathedral, that are within her budget. We are wondering if that is a safe neighborhood for a young single woman to live in without roommates? Any suggestions of other areas that are afforable/walkable/safe? We are having a hard time getting landlords to respond so are getting worried many apartments might be booked up already. We are going to Indy next week to try to find one. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 04:33 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,472,848 times
Does that budget include utilities? Heating and AC can add several hundred. Does she have a car? Parking can cost additional. I live downtown and have for 20 years. We really like it and it has only improved in 20 years. Van Rooy is a rental company with a number of properties around the area that has some available or coming available.

Downtown has a lot!! of newer apartments but the rent is up around 1,000++.

Checkout the Utomin by Van Rooy. Positives: we walk around them all the time. I think they have gated parking. Really close to Mass Ave, the happening street. A bakery is promised across the street. 6 blocks from a Kroger and other grocery stores. I live 3 blocks from that area. Big construction project, Bottleworks, is going up close promising all kinds of activity. Close enough for a healthy person to walk to IUPUI and a safe if boring 1+ mile walk. I have not been inside the building. I think it is in Chatham Arch historic area with a good neighborhood organization where she might meet others. Van Rooy is a big mgmt firm with many historic properties. I think their office is across the street?

I like Riley Towers but it is somewhat out of her price range.

212 East 10th appears to have apartments for rent. It is one block from my house but closer to Delaware. Walk over to Alabama and it is very safe. One way brick street. Never been inside. Residential on all sides. Less than a one mile walk to IUPUI right down 10th. You would need to check out apartment and manager or mgmt company. Only a few apartment in the building so I cannot comment on the apartment mangement.

I like the reviews on St Agnes. One of those close to the Cathedral but with the good reviews I might check it out.

The Wardswoth Apartments are located just north of us in the prestigious Old North Side Historic District. Full of big homes and families. I would check this out since it is still close enough and safe.

I do not like Pennsylvania south of 16th. It may have improved but we avoid and it used to house a big half way house.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:07 PM

Great information! Thank you so much for the details, especially about the neighborhoods and specific buildings. To your knowledge, is the cathedral neighborhood safe? She has her eye on St. Agnes and we are going to be touring but with Covid we can't get inside to see many of the stores, restaurants etc.....to get a feeling for the neighborhood. Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2020, 05:01 AM

The area around the Cathedral is commercial. Just a couple of apartment buildings but she would need to walk/drive to anything. She is close to the RedLine to go downtown, to the transit center, and to Broad Ripple. It is a balance between cost and location in all cases. The cost and sq. feet might be worth it or not. Something like the Wadsworth is not around anything either but it is surrounded by homes and "eyes" and she can more safely walk to a coffee shop, Foundry, or grocery, Kroger, or downtown on a safe route (right past our area).

I am sure there are other places to rent and I have only given you a few I found quickly. None of these lower cost buildings are going to have much in the way of amenities.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:45 AM

We have apppointments with many of the places you reccomended. Thank you SO much!!!

Old 06-11-2020, 04:31 PM

If you need anything, let me know. If you are downtown, good breakfast lunch place (our favorite) is First Watch. Things are just now getting back in order from virus shut down and protests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: