U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 06:46 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,574,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Its starting to look like Carmel. I think you get more for your money in Fishers than anywhere. Not house size more for your money but what the city and location offers as a whole and proximity to amenities and shopping and dining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
I think that's exactly why Fishers and other towns/cities in Hamilton County started to expand and take off. People realized they could take their child to the next district over, get many of the same amenities as Carmel...

Helps to have IKEA and Top Golf right around the corner. I'm still not sold on all the traffic in that area, especially around 69, but I'm sure most of the day/time it's manageable.
Fishers is starting to have their own specific-to-Fishers draw. As mentioned, Top Golf, IKEA, etc.. I also would count the Cabela's and Hamilton Town Center mall, even though that is technically in Noblesville, it always feels closer to the Geist/Fishers area to me. If one drives southbound on I-69, you'll be at 116th Street within minutes.

With all that money in the Geist area, Fortville is positioned to follow a similar path as Zionsville, but not as high income. The neighborhoods closest to Fortville aren't as costly as those in the overall Zionsville region.

McCordsville, abutting the Geist area, will continue to see growth. However, McCordsville lacks a true downtown area. McCordsville is actually similar to Fishers, though not as high income. They have discussed trying to create a downtown, village type retail, shopping, event area just SE of Mt. Comfort Rd (a/k/a 600W and Olio Rd.) and US 36 intersection. Not sure if that is still planned. McCordsville will likely see more residential growth, maybe some strip mall growth (as seen with the new Meijer's store), but it will take all those farm fields to be upper tier housing and right now, there seems to be a growth at any cost mentality and lower cost vinyl village housing isn't going to propel McCordsville to Fishers status over the next decade or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I've never understood why going to a massive school is better for athletics. Unless you are in the top %1 of athletes you don't get on a team or to play. I'd much rather go to a smaller school where there is less competition and I have a chance to play and be on a team(s).
Massive schools usually end up with top tier athletic programs and those are the first programs that college recruiters look at. Maybe with the internet and websites like MaxPreps and Hudl, this has changed. If you think about it, the larger schools always make it to the finals more often than not, and many Indiana HS sports tournaments are held in Indy (some off and on) where the recruiters fly into. So it makes sense to get on a team that is more than likely going into the tournament. If a player doesn't really stand out, they still could have that bragging right for a smaller division school that they were part of a larger, powerhouse program at their high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
This sounds interesting! Do you (or anyone) have an opinion about the area of Fishers sort of near Geist Elementary School (E 104th and Olio Rd), so the part of Fishers south/east of the reservoir heading out toward Fortville? Pros/cons?
The closer to the water, the more costly the housing. The actual land areas within Hamilton County will be fine, but you'll pay a premium to be in Hamilton County, mostly due to the Hamilton Southeastern School district. The Hancock County side (anything south of 96th Street) is seeing some development now as well along 96th Street (County Road 1000 N in Hancock County). This housing will feed into Mt. Vernon Schools just south of Fortville.

One issue that Fortville (and McCordsville) is that there seems to be a growth-at-any-cost mentality. There is a neighborhood south of Fortville near the Mt. Vernon HS/MS, Fortville Elementary campus that people weren't happy about. It takes a more sparse rural area and puts in a high density vinyl village next to it. To make matters worse, these are mid, maybe low mid tier housing. Definitely geared toward families which means more kids in the district, which means the need for growth, but the lower tiered housing doesn't pay as much into the property tax accounts, which means taxes for all need to go up to deal with the increasing number of students.

For this reason I'd make sure to stay within the Hamilton SE school district, so north of 96th Street.

Quote:
How does the reservoir impact the area? Like, during summer, are there a lot of boaters clogging up the roads making it hard to get to the grocery store, for instance (just making that up as an example of something that would be a concern for me)?
Geist definitely sees some boaters, but I'm not sure how many weekend boaters really go to Geist anymore. The marina website said the Olio Rd. launch (which is on the south side of the Olio Rd. bridge) does get busy and they suggest folks arrive early in the day. There is limited parking there anyway and if you look on the map, they have space for about 75 truck/trailer parking spots. I've driven though that area plenty of times and never really noticed issues with boat traffic. From what I've heard for owners who I know go boating, most are willing to drive to places other than Geist due to how busy it gets. It is busy not from public launches, but from all the people who rent docks at the marina, Indianapolis Yacht Club, and the many houses and neighborhoods that have their own boat docks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 07:21 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,207,412 times
Quote:
This sounds interesting! Do you (or anyone) have an opinion about the area of Fishers sort of near Geist Elementary School (E 104th and Olio Rd), so the part of Fishers south/east of the reservoir heading out toward Fortville? Pros/cons?

How does the reservoir impact the area? Like, during summer, are there a lot of boaters clogging up the roads making it hard to get to the grocery store, for instance (just making that up as an example of something that would be a concern for me)?
That area is very suburban. Olio Rd being expanded to 4 lanes from I-69 all the way down to 96th St has certainly helped. There isn't much out there besides very expensive housing other than some strip malls. There is a giant Kroger at 116th and Olio. And there are 3 decent parks in that area. Flat Fork Creek off 101st St. has walking trails, treehouses, a mountain biking trail, and a big sledding hill. Geist Park off Florida Rd has a playground and walking trails along Fall Creek and a canoe launch. And the new Fishers AgriPark just south of 113th St and Florida Rd teaches about farm life and agriculture and you can pick and take vegetables grown there for free. There's also a new multi-phase park that will be coming on Olio just south of the bridge over the reservoir.

I don't think traffic is any worse in summer than winter. The reservoir has permanent residences, not lake cottages like you see along a lot of other lakes in Indiana. There will be some extra from people that rent marina space but I've never really notice it adding extra traffic when I've been out that way. Possibly the biggest downside is getting into Indy. 96th/Fall Creek Pkwy is the only way west between 79th St and 116th St. It's very busy and only 2 lanes. However, I have heard if you're trying to get to downtown Indy, it's quicker to go down Olio (which becomes Mt Comfort Rd) all the way to I-70 and head into Indy that way. I-70 now has 3 lanes each direction all the way out to Mt Comfort Rd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis