U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 03:53 PM

3,883 posts, read 10,186,798 times

Advertisements

Lafayette is full of professors, regular business people, factory support people, basically all kinds of everyday people. I would have no problem choosing Lafayette. Note: I agree with the above posters that the section of I65 is one of the most dangerous ones in the state. Keep your family life without an unnecessary commute.

Ps: With covid, it is going to be much quieter around campus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 04:07 PM

2,713 posts, read 5,338,876 times
I live in Lafayette... about 3 miles from the Subaru plant, one mile from a wonderful Meijer, 10 minute walk to a library. Either Lafayette or West Lafayette would be fine. Purdue is located in West Lafayette. There is so much to do in this area. I don't see any reason to live somewhere else and have a long commute. Heck, I grew up here, went to Lafayette Jeff and Purdue. After college, I moved down to the Miami, FL area for my 40+ year career. Two years later, I moved back home to Lafayette. I am living on the far eastside of town, just outside the city limits. Friendly people, good drivers, Hoosier hospitality, lots of restaurants, Prophetstown State Park, Clegg Gardens, a beautiful town filled with well preserved old buildings and homes. Lafayette has a strong middle class. You may want to contact the Lafayette/West Lafayette Visitors' Center for all sorts of information about the area. They also publish a newcomers' guide to the area with all sorts of information.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:08 PM

2,713 posts, read 5,338,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2ncjd View Post
Hey y'all!

My husband is going through the interview process for Subaru so I've been doing some research. We do not currently live in Indiana but are originally from Michigan so we understand the winters

We have 4 children - the oldest may or may not come with us as he is 19 and knows everything but we will have one in elementary, middle, and high school. We are also looking to be a foster family so we will want a family friendly area.

Living near the plant is obviously better for commute times and I've been looking at the William Henry Harrison and West Lafayette Jr/Sr high areas. Lafayette worries me because it's going to be more transient being a college town and have fewer families.

I've also been looking into the Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield, and Brownsburg High Schools. I'm not a fan of the commute for my husband but if it's a much better area, he is willing to do it.

So I'm asking all of you wise folks - is there a benefit to one area over the other? Is my concern over the Lafayette area unwarranted? Will living near Indy give us more options?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate you
I've spoken to two of my neighbors who said that Subaru is the best company they have ever worked for.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 2,699 times
I just semi-retired from a job in Lafayette after three years. I commuted from NW Indianapolis for the first three months and then realized that I endangered my life and limb being on I-65 that much. Thereafter I found a home in LAF to live in during the week, coming back to Indy on weekends.

I would question the priorities of anyone who willingly spends more than a half hour a day on I-65. With wall-to-wall trucks at 5 miles an hour below the posted limit in the left hand lane, it has to be one of most hazardous commutes in the Midwest. US-52 can be a viable alternative depending on where you work, but it has its own dangers.

BTW, Lafayette housing is quite affordable, probably more so than Indianapolis. Lafayette residents are friendly and determined to give a honest day's work for an honest day's pay. That carries over to their relationships with co-workers and neighbors.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:41 PM

837 posts, read 626,807 times
You can live in Brownsburg, take I-74 to 231, get to the Subaru plant without ever driving on I65. It should take you about 50 minutes of easy driving.
I drove I65 for about 5 years, then switched to I74 for the next 7. I worked in Purdue Research Park on the far northside. My preference was to stay near Indianapolis, but Lafayette is very nice.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 13,136 times
Lafayette / West Lafayette is actually a great area to live in. Purdue University brings in a host of cultural and entertainment options. The city has a good economy and with that you have good restaurants and other brew pubs. Indianapolis area while a bigger place also has more crime and congestion even in some of the suburban areas. Take Carmel for instance, just recently it had a shooting and unexplained gunfire at night. In the better parts of the Lafayette area, you would not see that. I think you will find also housing is more reasonable in Lafayette.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:27 PM

668 posts, read 2,708,042 times
I grew up in Lafayette. If you are worried about the schools don't. Hopefully nothing has changed much in 30 years but all of the schools in Lafayette set the bar high. I went to Lafayette Jeff and I truly did not appreciate the education I received there until I moved my senior year to Mooresville IN. Due to Purdue, the schools back then in Lafayette actually prepared their students to excel at Purdue. My school year in Mooresville could not come close. I lived on the southside in Lafayette and there were always kids around. I had a great time living there and now would like to move to another college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis