U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 08:16 PM

58 posts, read 46,968 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

My husband is going through the interview process for Subaru so I've been doing some research. We do not currently live in Indiana but are originally from Michigan so we understand the winters

We have 4 children - the oldest may or may not come with us as he is 19 and knows everything but we will have one in elementary, middle, and high school. We are also looking to be a foster family so we will want a family friendly area.

Living near the plant is obviously better for commute times and I've been looking at the William Henry Harrison and West Lafayette Jr/Sr high areas. Lafayette worries me because it's going to be more transient being a college town and have fewer families.

I've also been looking into the Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield, and Brownsburg High Schools. I'm not a fan of the commute for my husband but if it's a much better area, he is willing to do it.

So I'm asking all of you wise folks - is there a benefit to one area over the other? Is my concern over the Lafayette area unwarranted? Will living near Indy give us more options?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 06:00 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,396 posts, read 4,644,119 times
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think he would be nuts to commute from any of those locations. When winter kicks in that would be a real nightmare of a commute.

Lafayette is a wonderful city, and has many nice areas and excellent schools. It's certainly not the "big city" that Indianapolis is, but there are plenty of things to do and see. Purdue University is located there, and all of the amenities that surround a major research university are present as one would expect.

I believe that there is a fair amount of new development around Whitestown these days that might be worth looking into if you really want to be closer to Indy. I'm sure someone in the forum can comment on that, as my knowledge of it is limited.

Good luck!

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 07-13-2020 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 07:54 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,206,417 times
I agree with what MortonR said. That would be a terrible commute, basically close to an hour one way from any of those Indy suburbs you mentioned with Zionsville being closest. If there's a crash on I-65, which most definitely happens, then the commute would be even worse. If you absolutely don't want to be in Lafayette, you could look in Lebanon or Frankfort. Frankfort would be a quick 25 minutes or less, in fact, it could be the same amount of drive time as some parts of West Lafayette when you factor in traffic, but it would be more miles and country driving on state highways.

Anyway, I would just look in Lafayette. West Lafayette is quite nice. Like many college towns, you get away from campus, and it starts to feel like any other city. Combine the populations of Lafayette and West Lafayette, and you still have a city area of 100,000+ people without factoring in Purdue campus.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I agree with what MortonR said. That would be a terrible commute, basically close to an hour one way from any of those Indy suburbs you mentioned with Zionsville being closest. If there's a crash on I-65, which most definitely happens, then the commute would be even worse. If you absolutely don't want to be in Lafayette, you could look in Lebanon or Frankfort. Frankfort would be a quick 25 minutes or less, in fact, it could be the same amount of drive time as some parts of West Lafayette when you factor in traffic, but it would be more miles and country driving on state highways.

Anyway, I would just look in Lafayette. West Lafayette is quite nice. Like many college towns, you get away from campus, and it starts to feel like any other city. Combine the populations of Lafayette and West Lafayette, and you still have a city area of 100,000+ people without factoring in Purdue campus.
Excellent points! Having been away from the area for a while I totally forgot about Frankfort or Lebanon, but if you're looking to go with a smaller city Frankfort should be just fine, I don't see Lebanon being any better since it's smaller, too.

Consider that areas with smaller schools will often provide better opportunities for participation in extracurricular activities like sports. If your kids are in sports at all attending a school with an enrollment of 2,000 students makes it difficult if not impossible for them to participate unless they're really outstanding.

There's something to be said about living in a small town.

RM

Old 07-13-2020, 09:43 AM

29,333 posts, read 22,161,829 times
The site supervisor where I worked at in Indy (off of 465) lived in West Lafayette. On a good day, the commute was about an hour. If there is a wreck, winter, etc., add at least half an hour to it.

Going the other way should be a bit better, but I would just live closer to the job and go back to Indy when needed. As was mentioned, W. Lafayette is a nice place in its own right.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:31 AM

7,429 posts, read 9,211,108 times
I live in the other large college town in Indiana--Bloomington. I think your concerns about the lack of families and being transient are unwarranted.

Primarily the ones moving in/out are students. Faculty members and their families tend to be more stable once they have tenure. The thousands of other employees of the university are also more stable. Students tend to live in certain areas. Those with families live in other areas similar to any other suburb or small city/town. Typically I only notice students moving in/out a couple of times a year (fall and spring). I also think you'll find that living in a college town provides many opportunities for your children and your family that are not typical. IU hosts many family events. I'm sure Purdue does the same.

Last edited by rrah; 07-13-2020 at 11:44 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I live in the other large college town in Indiana--Bloomington. I think your concerns about the lack of families and being transient are unwarranted.

Primarily the ones moving in/out are students. Faculty members and their families tend to be more stable once they have tenure. The thousands of other employees of the university are also more stable. Students tend to live in certain areas. Those with families live in other areas similar to any other suburb or small city/town. Typically I only notice students moving in/out a couple of times a year (fall and spring). I also think you'll find that living in a college town provides many opportunities for your children and your family that are not typical. IU hosts many family events. I'm sure Purdue does the same.
This and the cultural aspect. While I never lived in Bloomington I was only about 45 minutes away from it and had ties there that had me visiting a number of times a month. There was always something going on culturally or sports-wise, if that's your thing, too. Having a major university or college in town is a big plus, I think. It makes for a very vibrant feel to the place, for sure. That was one thing I always liked about Bloomington.

Certainly there will be times of the year where transitions are taking place, but Lafayette and West Lafayette are large enough that I can't see it being difficult to choose an area that's nice and won't be right next to campus.

RM

Old 07-13-2020, 12:37 PM

22,221 posts, read 38,781,087 times
Live close to work, you don't want to commute from Indy suburbs to Lafayette/West Lafayette. That stretch of I-65 is also notorious for its bad condition and awful potholes.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:48 PM

58 posts, read 46,968 times
Thanks y'all!

It's really hard to decide if you want to move to a place that you have never been. When we moved to South Carolina from MI 3.5 years ago, we thought that was our last move and are really happy here! Due to covid, the job market has significantly changed. We knew coming here that jobs in my husband's field were in short supply but now they are even harder to come by. Unfortunately, we have found ourselves in a situation where we may be forced to locate.

As any parent knows, uprooting kids is not the easiest thing to do - especially when they are in their teens! Having to do that twice in a short time span is even worse. I just want the best for them and I want them to know that where we end up is the last place they have to move. I'm glad to know that my worries about living in the Lafayette are unwarranted. We live near Clemson and it's bonkers except for in the summer

Old 07-13-2020, 03:42 PM

127 posts, read 88,304 times
My grandparents loved on the far Eastside of Lafayette and mostly didn't notice too much craziness as related to Purdue students. There was not alot of transient population by them. Purdue will offer some community and educational opportunities for your children that other areas may not. Both my mom and Aunt graduated from Lafayette Jeff and my father from Mccutcheon. They all liked their e

Again I agree that you should NOT do the commute. 65 around Lebanon area has one of the worst records for accidents (especially deadly ones) so again its really more than an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis