Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 27,616 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a young professional moving to Indy with the company I have worked with for about 5 years. MY job is home based but I will be visiting clients in the area of Indy and surrounding areas and driving 3-4 days a week.

I have a solid income, but am looking for a location where I can get a lot of house for my money outside the city a bit in a safe safe area. I have NO DESIRE to live in a "snobby" area with a lot of rich people (from what I read like zionsville) and I want to work on paying off my house within 5 years so I am shooting for a house around ~180k or so 3-4bd and about 2500sq ft.

I did my research and searched the area's on my topic, but was wondering if I am over looking anything. My main criteria are
#1 safe area to raise my child
#2 an area where you can get a lot of house for the $$
#3 decent schools or options for a good private school (newborn with a sohm so not a big deal for a bit)
#4 less than 30-45 minutes of downtown during non-peak hours ( I set my own appointments)
#5 some shopping and decent places to eat

Also I am looking for a Realtor, that is looking for a quick sell and would be willing to do a little less than the normal % of the sale for a quick close have to be moved within 30 days (I used a Part time Realtor that only charged me 2% on the closing here in Nashville for example).. IM me or reply and I'll get you my e-mail address..

As you can see from my topic any direction of the city is fine, I have a slight preference for the southern side, since my family lives off of i-65 in KY, but that's not a big deal at all to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,724,843 times
Your criteria fits the Indy suburbs perfectly, it will be easy for you to find a home onnce you settle on an area. I live in Avon, on the West side and I really love it here. The schools are great, it is very safe, home prices are low, shopping and restaurants are here or you can get downtown in about 25 minutes.

I will DM you about the rest of your post

Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM

86 posts, read 294,826 times
Honestly Greenwood, Fishers, and Brownsburg all fit the bill for what you are looking for. Of the three Fishers is by far the fastest growing area and Brownsburg probably has more of a small town feel than the other two. All are good choices, it just depends what "feel" you are looking for. I just shot you an IM as well.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:25 AM

13 posts, read 25,319 times
HelloIf you are wanting the down low on the area here it is,However I warn you this is not Nashville, I say that heavy for I have lived there and my sister still lives there in the hermitage area for the last 12yrs. The people here can be nice but not to talkative..Anyways north side---too many people zionsville,whitestown,carmel,fishers,noblesville its all hamilton county it's the fastest growing county in Indiana and I think w/in the top 100 in the nation. It is also the richest county in indiana ..I'll say no more(it's true)also with that said they have the best roads. east side--- too much crime, going down like a clown. I grew up on the east side and it was not bad at the time I lived only 10mins from downtown(you will soon find out what (hundred blocks mean) it means to live on a grid..good luck..easy once you get the hang of it ,though my wife is 32 and still dosn't lol. If you go out east enough it will get better how far ummmm cumberland used to be far enough but not any more ( just stay away)South Side---Greenwood is getting busy and with that comes all the parents that lived on the east side now think they will move to get jonney and sally out of trouble, what they didn't know is that jonney and sally were the ones stating it ...it's like when your not catholic and you send you bad child thier to stighten them up all they do is feed on the week.. I seen it West Side---If you get into Wayne township you can be ok it's alot of homework with the schools but thats what your kids need to stay out of trouble here. Avon wants to be like fishers thay are growing fast and the traffic is horriable you will see the sun riase and fall on US 36 otherwise called Rockville road intown waiting to get home or get to (465)lol. Plainfield COPS are buttholes this is from some one who has only been to jail here 1x for PI and it wasn't in plianfield..everybody knows this. they have something to prove..Brownsburg,,,can't say anything bad about it I have worked over thier installing satellites in a lot of peoples homes over the last 10yrs and the schools are good and they take care of thier own for the most part .It used to be a small town and nobody knew about it. Then it became what it is today which is a commuter town not far from Indy However the gas $$$$$ and your intown driving?????My point is find a Township and go for it,just not center township(IPS)Indianapolis public schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!woundering where I fit into this big o mess we do have the conners of indy I'm in the south west side Good if you stay on the outher side of mann rd It's called DECAUTER Township Just stay away from Mars Hill Unless you liked TRINATY LANE in nashville.JUst south of thier is Moresville nice little town with a place called KID CITY(Hartland crossings) Very nice and dont need alot of $$$ with what you can do you can get a big home and it's close to anything and you stay away from (465) as far as some one to help you

Last edited by domergurl; 04-30-2008 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: need to space and spell ck

Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM

86 posts, read 294,826 times
Dude, you might want to find out where the enter key is

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmabr View Post
HelloIf you are wanting the down low on the area here it is,However I warn you this is not Nashville, I say that heavy for I have lived there and my sister still lives there in the hermitage area for the last 12yrs. The people here can be nice but not to talkative..Anyways north side---too many people zionsville,whitestown,carmel,fishers,noblesville its all hamilton county it's the fastest growing county in Indiana and I think w/in the top 100 in the nation. It is also the richest county in indiana ..I'll say no more(it's true)also with that said they have the best roads. east side--- too much crime, going down like a clown. I grew up on the east side and it was not bad at the time I lived only 10mins from downtown(you will soon find out what (hundred blocks mean) it means to live on a grid..good luck..easy once you get the hang of it ,though my wife is 32 and still dosn't lol. If you go out east enough it will get better how far ummmm cumberland used to be far enough but not any more ( just stay away)South Side---Greenwood is getting busy and with that comes all the parents that lived on the east side now think they will move to get jonney and sally out of trouble, what they didn't know is that jonney and sally were the ones stating it ...it's like when your not catholic and you send you bad child thier to stighten them up all they do is feed on the week.. I seen it West Side---If you get into Wayne township you can be ok it's alot of homework with the schools but thats what your kids need to stay out of trouble here. Avon wants to be like fishers thay are growing fast and the traffic is horriable you will see the sun riase and fall on US 36 otherwise called Rockville road intown waiting to get home or get to (465)lol. Plainfield COPS are buttholes this is from some one who has only been to jail here 1x for PI and it wasn't in plianfield..everybody knows this. they have something to prove..Brownsburg,,,can't say anything bad about it I have worked over thier installing satellites in a lot of peoples homes over the last 10yrs and the schools are good and they take care of thier own for the most part .It used to be a small town and nobody knew about it. Then it became what it is today which is a commuter town not far from Indy However the gas $$$$$ and your intown driving?????My point is find a Township and go for it,just not center township(IPS)Indianapolis public schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!woundering where I fit into this big o mess we do have the conners of indy I'm in the south west side Good if you stay on the outher side of mann rd It's called DECAUTER Township Just stay away from Mars Hill Unless you liked TRINATY LANE in nashville.JUst south of thier is Moresville nice little town with a place called KID CITY(Hartland crossings) Very nice and dont need alot of $$$ with what you can do you can get a big home and it's close to anything and you stay away from (465) as far as some one to help you

Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 AM

6 posts, read 27,616 times
Fishers seems kind of cool but a little bit larger of a place or getting there... I like the smaller town feel since I grew up in glasgow, ky and really enjoy that style of life.

I really want my money to go far and I think that the brownsburg / avon / greenwood area might be a good place to achieve that I make a good living and am underbuying on my house but intend to only live in IN for 2-3 years unless I fall in love with the area.

Also I get re-imbursed for my work miles so the extra distance isn't a huge deal unless gas goes to $10 a gallon or something silly.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:52 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,724,843 times
You just might fall in love with the area! I think it is far better to underbuy and have plenty of money left for LIFE. I hate to see people who overbuy, thinking their income will eventually catch up. Then, they don't have anything left over for the fun things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis